Eddy070

Apr 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
claudiakee said:
I am an International Student studying in Canada from Hong Kong, with a 10- year US visitor visa in effect.

I just married to my Canadian Husband a couple months ago but we ve been living together since 2009. We are hoping that we can still send our application to Buffalo as we can choose to have interview in the US( much closer to Canada) instead of flying all the way back to Hong Kong.

But I just received a bad news from one of the councillor from the phone and they said that I have to send it back to my Home country to have the immigration process done. May i know if this is the truth? Because I did called a couple times before and other councillors on the phone had been telling me I can choose which visa office to send my application to.

i will appreciate any answer to my questions very much!
You can choose Buffalo as long as you have a valid entry into US just in-case an Interview is requested.

eeeeeeeelectric

Mar 20, 2011
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Surrey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2011
AOR Received.
05-07-2011
Med's Done....
15-03-2011
Interview........
28-07-2015
Passport Req..
1-16-2012
VISA ISSUED...
1-19-2012
LANDED..........
1-21-2012
Congrats, tulamoon!!!!!!!

tulamoon

Star Member
Jan 20, 2011
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2011
Doc's Request.
--
AOR Received.
--
Med's Done....
25-02-2011
Interview........
--
Passport Req..
--
VISA ISSUED...
--
LANDED..........
--
I asked this in the March thread, but haven't gotten a response yet so I shall ask here... Part of the PPR letter says this

"Settlement Funds

Be advised that when you enter Canada as a permanent resident, you will be asked to provide proof that you have sufficient funds available for settlement. If it is your intention to proceed directly to Canada, you should have supporting documentation with you – current bank statement, updated bank book, securities or negotiable instruments in bearer form, etc. Failure to provide this information could affect your admissibility to Canada and otherwise delay or prevent your landing. Please refer to the following website for current requirements: www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp

He doesn't have any money he's a student and we live together. I support us both and I thought that by them approving me as sponsor that was all that was need for financial purposes? Does anyone know? Is that just a generic paragraph in all immigration letters?

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wow, good question. I am thinking that's it's a generic aspect of the passport request letter. After all, most PR applicants are actually coming through the skilled worker stream where they are not sponsored by anyone and they really do need to come with enough funds to settle themselves in Canada. You've signed an undertaking to support your spouse for 3 years from the date he becomes a PR, so his "settlement" is taken care of. I don't see why taking a recent bank statement wouldn't be a good idea though.

tulamoon said:
I asked this in the March thread, but haven't gotten a response yet so I shall ask here... Part of the PPR letter says this

"Settlement Funds

Be advised that when you enter Canada as a permanent resident, you will be asked to provide proof that you have sufficient funds available for settlement. If it is your intention to proceed directly to Canada, you should have supporting documentation with you – current bank statement, updated bank book, securities or negotiable instruments in bearer form, etc. Failure to provide this information could affect your admissibility to Canada and otherwise delay or prevent your landing. Please refer to the following website for current requirements: www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp

He doesn't have any money he's a student and we live together. I support us both and I thought that by them approving me as sponsor that was all that was need for financial purposes? Does anyone know? Is that just a generic paragraph in all immigration letters?

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did the PPR arrive by snail mail? From LA, right?

tulamoon said:

"Settlement Funds

tulamoon

Star Member
Jan 20, 2011
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2011
Doc's Request.
--
AOR Received.
--
Med's Done....
25-02-2011
Interview........
--
Passport Req..
--
VISA ISSUED...
--
LANDED..........
--
Nope it came by email but from the LA email address

Immigration Section / Département d'immigration550 S. Hope Street, 9th Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90071 • FAX: (213) 625-7154Email: los-angeles-im-enquiry@international.gc.ca • Website: www.losangeles.gc.ca

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok. Don't think you're on the spreadsheet so I'll add you. What's your complete timeline?
tulamoon said:
Nope it came by email but from the LA email address

Immigration Section / Département d'immigration550 S. Hope Street, 9th Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90071 • FAX: (213) 625-7154Email: los-angeles-im-enquiry @ international.gc.ca • Website: www.losangeles.gc.ca

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
Stumpedmom said:
All you need to do is go into the local Service Canada Center with your COPR and Passport, and explain that you have just landed as a PR and you need a SIN. They under normal circumstances can get you one in 10 minutes....if your in SW Ontario...Stay away from Chatham...they DON'T know what they are doing...trust me....
Hmm, now I'm confused.

On Thursday we're going to take my passport request stuff to Buffalo (driving over the border), presumably get the COPR, and presumably land the same day (just waiting on the rest of fam's list of my stuff so I can add it). I was told that at the landing interview they would simply start the process of issuing a SIN card for you, but is that untrue? If we could maybe just land and go to a Service Canada in the GTA (we live in Brampton) would be more than thrilled with that option of getting a SIN card within minutes. Of course, I'm still a bit dumb about the process despite spending significant time reading. I might have missed an option as far as landing goes, but we figured that since we're driving across the border we might as well just get everything done when driving back into Canada, but again, I would certainly prefer to get a SIN card that quickly.

Also, I have a California DL good thru late 2014, is it imperative to get a Canadian DL before then? And being that I already have a license, and the driving rules aren't very dissimilar at all in ON, would I need to start the process over with a G1 to G?

tulamoon

Star Member
Jan 20, 2011
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2011
Doc's Request.
--
AOR Received.
--
Med's Done....
25-02-2011
Interview........
--
Passport Req..
--
VISA ISSUED...
--
LANDED..........
--
ddobro2 said:
Ok. Don't think you're on the spreadsheet so I'll add you. What's your complete timeline?
They received our Application March 3rd
Sponsorship approved March 29th
Application received by Buffalo April 7th
PPR October 17th

At some point in there everything else was done, but who knows when. haha.

prophet3

Star Member
Aug 4, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buf
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 25
AOR Received.
June 29
File Transfer...
July 11
buffalo-toronto said:
you have to be living in a particular country for 1 year atleast to be processed through that country, otherwise the application goes to your home country
You dont need to have lived , all you need is to be lawfully admitted either to canada or US for more than one year, so you can apply to Buffalo. The call center people dont know the right answer sometimes, but for sure you can apply to Buffalo as you are lawfully admitted to US for more than 1 year. Also , if you are lawfully admitted to Canada on a visa for more than a year, you can also apply to Buffalo.if You dont believe me check the regulation handbook of CIC. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/laws-policy/agree.asp

prophet3

Star Member
Aug 4, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buf
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 25
AOR Received.
June 29
File Transfer...
July 11
claudiakee said:
I am an International Student studying in Canada from Hong Kong, with a 10- year US visitor visa in effect.

I just married to my Canadian Husband a couple months ago but we ve been living together since 2009. We are hoping that we can still send our application to Buffalo as we can choose to have interview in the US( much closer to Canada) instead of flying all the way back to Hong Kong.

But I just received a bad news from one of the councillor from the phone and they said that I have to send it back to my Home country to have the immigration process done. May i know if this is the truth? Because I did called a couple times before and other councillors on the phone had been telling me I can choose which visa office to send my application to.

i will appreciate any answer to my questions very much!

Quote from: buffalo-toronto on October 18, 2011, 08:39:59 am

you have to be living in a particular country for 1 year atleast to be processed through that country, otherwise the application goes to your home country

You dont need to have lived , all you need is to be lawfully admitted either to canada or US for more than one year, so you can apply to Buffalo. The call center people dont know the right answer sometimes, but for sure you can apply to Buffalo as you are lawfully admitted to US for more than 1 year. Also , if you are lawfully admitted to Canada on a visa for more than a year, you can also apply to Buffalo.if You dont believe me check the regulation handbook of CIC. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/laws-policy/agree.asp

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIC says it forwards a PR application to a VO if it "serves your country of nationality or the country where you have been legally admitted for at least one year." If she has a visitor visa for the US valid for 9 years, I would think that fits the bill. However, you cannot "embassy shop." According to my understanding of the application process, they are not even giving people the option to write in which VO they would like to apply through on one of the forms. CPCM makes that decision. And if they send it to Hong Kong even though she provides evidence of her status in the U.S. and Canada.....well, I'm not sure what she'll be able to do, granted I don't know a lot about this aspect of the PR processing.

Stumpedmom

Sep 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/03/2011 Receivd CPC-M
AOR Received.
16/06/2011
File Transfer...
06/05/2011 Received in Buffalo, 06/2011 to Los Angeles
Med's Done....
12/10/2010
Interview........
waived...obviously cuz we got the PPR
Passport Req..
16/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
24/8/2011 in our hands 8/29/2011
LANDED..........
3/9/2011
Bargeld said:
Hmm, now I'm confused.

On Thursday we're going to take my passport request stuff to Buffalo (driving over the border), presumably get the COPR, and presumably land the same day (just waiting on the rest of fam's list of my stuff so I can add it). I was told that at the landing interview they would simply start the process of issuing a SIN card for you, but is that untrue? If we could maybe just land and go to a Service Canada in the GTA (we live in Brampton) would be more than thrilled with that option of getting a SIN card within minutes. Of course, I'm still a bit dumb about the process despite spending significant time reading. I might have missed an option as far as landing goes, but we figured that since we're driving across the border we might as well just get everything done when driving back into Canada, but again, I would certainly prefer to get a SIN card that quickly.

Also, I have a California DL good thru late 2014, is it imperative to get a Canadian DL before then? And being that I already have a license, and the driving rules aren't very dissimilar at all in ON, would I need to start the process over with a G1 to G?
The COPR will be sent in the package when you get your passport stamped in Buffalo. You are given a copy when you land at the border. You can not get the SIN at the border, and thats the quickest way to land by crossing the border. Once you get across you can go to the Service Canada (HRDC) office and apply for your SIN. They will give you the number on a piece of paper and your card will arrive in 7-10 days normally.
You have up to 90 days to change your drivers license over to an Ontario license.
http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/ExchangeReciprocal.aspx
I recommend getting a drivers abstract if possible, mind you California does not need one. The other thing you may want to get is a driver's experience letter from your insurance company to prove that you have had active insurance, then you will not be classed as a new driver for insurance rates.
If you are importing a vehicle with you, there is other stuff that you need to keep in mind for fees and the like....

mcmasters

Star Member
Oct 17, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-03-2011
File Transfer...
31-03-2011
Med's Request
11-07-2011
Med's Done....
August 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-12-11
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 11 2011
LANDED..........
Dec 27 2011
Thanks for the responses! Hm, I never heard of CAIPS or GCMS notes until I started reading these forums. I'm guessing these are notes on the work that's being done on my file?

I would ask how to get them but that is such a newb question and I'm afraid the process is long and complicated to explain.

On the idea of moving in with Pat before my application is complete: is that allowed, legally? I thought I wasn't legally allowed to live in Canada until I got my PR status, and I was afraid it would mess up or delay my application if I tried to make the move before I was accepted.

But, if that's a viable option, we'll definitely consider it! It's almost more of a financial burden for us to be living separately because my apartment is such a money drain. :(

Any advice from couples who moved in together before their application was completed is most appreciated!

-Maddy

I would recommend ordering your CAIPS (GCMS) notes. They will definitely give you some insight as to what is going on with your file, and if there is something that is not quite right.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Right, they are essentially the print-screens of the Global Case Management System, which is the system CIC is using to process cases, information on your file. Ordering FOSS and CAIPS (including GCMS) Notes: http://immipedia.ca/Ordering_FOSS_and_CAIPS_notes

As an American, you don't need a visa to enter Canada and your entry is good for 6 months (the agent stamps your passport at the border, typically). You would not be able to study or work with that visitor status. Having said that, you should bring ample proof of ties to the States when you cross.

mcmasters said:
Thanks for the responses! Hm, I never heard of CAIPS or GCMS notes until I started reading these forums. I'm guessing these are notes on the work that's being done on my file?

I would ask how to get them but that is such a newb question and I'm afraid the process is long and complicated to explain.

On the idea of moving in with Pat before my application is complete: is that allowed, legally? I thought I wasn't legally allowed to live in Canada until I got my PR status, and I was afraid it would mess up or delay my application if I tried to make the move before I was accepted.

But, if that's a viable option, we'll definitely consider it! It's almost more of a financial burden for us to be living separately because my apartment is such a money drain. :(

Any advice from couples who moved in together before their application was completed is most appreciated!

-Maddy