Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
jancath410 said:
Hello There!

I (Canadian) am sponsoring my husband (born and located in Houston, TX) and received a letter from CIC Missisauga on July 26th that I was eligible to sponsor my spouse and his application has been forwarded to Buffalo. Is there a website, similar to e-cas where I can check his application status? Also, who will receive an acknowledgment from BUF? I am assuming it will be him. How long until he gets a letter? The letter I rec'd also said that since there's no photo on Medical Form (IMM 1017) on the application, the submission is considered incomplete. I was under the impression that the MD is to send the pictures with medical results and we to send proof that medical has been done by designated MD (2nd page of IMM 1017).
His will show with yours but not until they begin processing - ours took about 6 weeks from Mis. to B'lo and we just got the letter today - almost 7 weeks.

The medical form (green copy) should have had a photo on it that the doctor stamped over. If it is missing the photo you probably need to go back and get them to stamp it. Did you go to a DM listed on the CIC website because the doctor should have known to do that.

jancath410

Aug 11, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
silverbee said:
The doctor is supposed to attach the picture that you give to him - that's really too bad. Call CIC and ask them what you should do. They may require that you re-do the medical, in which case the doctor should do another for free.
You can use the client-ID from the letter to check the status of your husband's application.
I called CIC call centre and told them that what we sent was a copy/proof that he's gone through the med exam. I think the designated MD completed an old form as there was no space for me to put the photo. I also told CIC that the MD sent the application along with the photo to CPC Mississauga and not Buffalo because we did not know which office to send it. Agent said if Mississauga rec'd it they will forward to proper office--any thoughts on that?

jancath410

Aug 11, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
heatherusa said:
His will show with yours but not until they begin processing - ours took about 6 weeks from Mis. to B'lo and we just got the letter today - almost 7 weeks.

The medical form (green copy) should have had a photo on it that the doctor stamped over. If it is missing the photo you probably need to go back and get them to stamp it. Did you go to a DM listed on the CIC website because the doctor should have known to do that.
His will show on e-cas? So same log in and same place to check just taking its time then. Thank you. I thought I had to go to some other website to check his application.

Yes, I went to the DM listed on CIC Website but I think DMD used old form (2005) as it did not ask for a photo. My husband left 4 photos with them to which they are going to mail with the result to CPC Mississauga.

S

SaugaBoss

jancath410 said:
His will show on e-cas? So same log in and same place to check just taking its time then. Thank you. I thought I had to go to some other website to check his application.

Yes, I went to the DM listed on CIC Website but I think DMD used old form (2005) as it did not ask for a photo. My husband left 4 photos with them to which they are going to mail with the result to CPC Mississauga.
the sponsor has a client id # they can log on and check the status of the sponsor and permanent resident part of the application....
the applicant has their own id and can check the PR part of the app.

the sponsor says:
Sponsorship Application Status: decision made
Permanent Residence Application Status: in process

applicant says:
Permanent Residence Application Status: in process

buffalo doesn't have their own site you have to email or mail them to change address or update any info.

jancath410

Aug 11, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you! I will wait for my husband's client ID. He does not have one yet...his app was just forwarded to BUF at the end of July. What about the Designated MD sending the result to CPC Mississauga. Is there a way for me to find out if Mississauga rec'd it and forwarded it to BUF?

In another note, what is everyone's thought him moving here before he gets anything so that we can be together. Will that affect the processing time? Will the immigration question it?

Sorry everyone....I know I have a lot of questions but I am new to this. Thank you again for the help!

jmni1

Star Member
Apr 8, 2010
USA
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Med's Done....
19-04-2010
Interview........
31-01-2011
Passport Req..
31-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
31-01-2011
LANDED..........
01-02-2011
jancath410 said:
In another note, what is everyone's thought him moving here before he gets anything so that we can be together. Will that affect the processing time? Will the immigration question it?
It will not affect the processing time if he moves to canada with you. I am currently "visiting" my husband with a 6 1/2 month visitor record obtained when I crossed the border by car. Immigration will not question it, but it may help your case. It would show that you are living together and this will hopefully strengthen your application. It is the one benefit of being from the U.S. a visa exempt country that we can get into Canada easier than some other people.

Keep in mind that when he comes to canada he must say he is visiting, not moving. Bring bank records with to prove he has funds to support himself. Also it can be helpful to inform the border agent that you have a sponsorship application is process. I told the border agent that I was visiting my fiance for 6 months and then was asked of we were getting married and if I was planning on filing for PR. I said yes to both. I think that being that I had started the process it made my case stronger to get into canada. Some people say it is best not to say anything about the PR part but it is up to you. hope this helps

jancath410

Aug 11, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jmni1 said:
It will not affect the processing time if he moves to canada with you. I am currently "visiting" my husband with a 6 1/2 month visitor record obtained when I crossed the border by car.

Thank you...that is so helpful! What do you mean by obtaining a 6 1/2 month visitor? If we do not obtain his PR in 6 months.....can he just cross to BUF for 1 day and come back and "visit" me again?

StillSmilin

Star Member
Aug 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2010
AOR Received.
29-09-2010
File Transfer...
10-09-2010
Med's Done....
30-07-2010
Interview........
Waived! 15-10-2010
Passport Req..
08-11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
16-11-2010
LANDED..........
10-03-2011
Hi there! I am new to the boards, just mailed in our application today to Mississauga. I am sponsoring my husband from the U.S. We requested the Buffalo office, so hopefully that all works out! I have had fun lurking on here and seeing everyone's timelines and of course appreciating all the advice so freely given! Good luck to everyone going through this! :)

journeyman

Star Member
Sep 25, 2009
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2010
AOR Received.
22-07-2010
File Transfer...
25-05-2010
Med's Done....
19-02-2010
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
02-09-2010
LANDED..........
12-10-2010
jancath410 said:
Thank you...that is so helpful! What do you mean by obtaining a 6 1/2 month visitor? If we do not obtain his PR in 6 months.....can he just cross to BUF for 1 day and come back and "visit" me again?
When he crosses to "visit" they will likely issue him a visitor record which can be for any amount of time up to one year, at the discretion of the IO. If he has not recieved his PR before the end of the "visit" period, you can submit a request for an extension. They recommend about 30 days before expiry of the visitor record. This way he does not cross back into the US to "revisit" you.

When he is coming some of the other recommendations that are good are to have proof of ties back in the US in case PR is declined (e.g. lease, house, job). Also try not to load up the car with "possessions". Mainly clothes is better. It is also recommended that you accompany him and speak for him, and have proof of sponsorhip/PR app in process.

Here is a link that you may find helpful.........http://www.us2canada.com/visiting.php

jancath410

Aug 11, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you journeyman! That website is so helpful! But I have a couple of question. Is there a minimum amount of funds in the bank account that he has to have? We will be travelling by plane as he does not have much but his clothes. He lives with his parents so he does not own a house. What other ties to the US can we show the IO?

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
jancath410 said:
Thank you! I will wait for my husband's client ID. He does not have one yet...his app was just forwarded to BUF at the end of July. What about the Designated MD sending the result to CPC Mississauga. Is there a way for me to find out if Mississauga rec'd it and forwarded it to BUF?

Sorry everyone....I know I have a lot of questions but I am new to this. Thank you again for the help!
I log on to ecas with the receipt number still because it was saved and then I dont have to type the info in.

It shows my information, my husband is listed as the sponsored person, and then it says sponsorship application status - decision made, permanent residence application status - In process.

You wont be able to log in until they have made the sponsorship decision, and then ecas will become active

jmni1

Star Member
Apr 8, 2010
USA
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Med's Done....
19-04-2010
Interview........
31-01-2011
Passport Req..
31-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
31-01-2011
LANDED..........
01-02-2011
jancath410 said:
Thank you journeyman! That website is so helpful! But I have a couple of question. Is there a minimum amount of funds in the bank account that he has to have? We will be travelling by plane as he does not have much but his clothes. He lives with his parents so he does not own a house. What other ties to the US can we show the IO?
It would be useful for him to buy a return ticket to show that he intends to return to the U.S., ideally make sure it is refundable so you can get your money back. As long as he is allowed into Canada you can apply to extend his visitor status. So even if he only got like a month that is ok you can apply to extend the status. It is important though that he either gets a visitor record or a stamp in his passport so he can prove when he came into canada. The amount of funds are not as important. I had 1,500.00 but in the end the IO did not even look at my car or documents, just took my word for it and gave me the visitor record.

I assume he would have an easier time going by plane. Also if you could meet him at the airport then he could infor the IO that you are there in case they want to speak with you. If so they then you could tell them that he will be living with you and you will be providing for him.

SCsquare

Star Member
Dec 8, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 28th 2009
AOR Received.
Dec 9th 2009
File Transfer...
Nov 17th 2009
Med's Done....
Aug 15th 2009
Interview........
July 21st 2010
Passport Req..
July 21st 2010
VISA ISSUED...
July 21st 2010
LANDED..........
July 30th 2010
jancath410 said:

Your husband wont receive his client Id untill he gets his landing papers.. I also didnt have my client id.. but Buffalo provided me with a file number when they started processing my case and sent me an AOR.. My client id was written on my landing papers

CeeGee

Star Member
Jan 31, 2010
SCsquare--I may have lost track and read it on an earlier post. Why did you have to have an interview? Were you a U.S. citizen filing through Buffalo? Why did it take almost a year for the interview? I can't imagine all the stress you went through. I am so glad that is behind you!!!

I'm sure you've posted all of this, but sometimes I lose track of "who's who".

Congratulations on surviving your long process. Any advice to the rest of us?

CeeGee

dhdesigns

Star Member
Apr 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dhdesigns said:
Thanks! I'll let you know what happens.
I got a fax back in less than 24hrs from Immigration Medical Office. Handwritten on the bottom of my fax:

"Good day. The results are being forwarded to the Visa office processing the application. Regards. Ana."

Glad on the one hand that they responded so quickly, but a bit miffed that it implies they haven't sent it yet when we got a letter dated June 25 that the results had been requested by Buffalo.