+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for July 2011 applicants

M

magpie

Aneyshar, Just purchase the Magic Jack and register it with a phone number from your home in Canada. Initial setup I believe is 40 dollars for the device and another 10 dollars for a canadian number. Once you have tested it at home and it has a registered Canadian Phone Number then you can take this device and plug it into any Computer in the world with USB and connect a phone to it and va la... you have a Canadian phone in a foreign country. I tried Vonage but it was no good but Magic Jack has worked 100 percent for me and I have local calling anywhere in North America from where I am and voice mail. After the initial setup the following year is 20 dollars. We will leave this one behind for the inlaws so that parents and daughter can call anytime at no cost.

Only one problem... you must have highspeed internet. It is also not necessary to have a phone and can use just the computer speakers and mic but the communication is choppy. So when you call CIC or anyone caller ID will show your Canadian number. You can purchase this in many places now in Canada. The Source is one or check the internet. An excellent device. They also have Magic Jack plus. I will get when we are settled in Canada as I do not want the local phone company anymore. Magic Jack is cheaper and offers the same or even more service including free North American long distance.

Magic Jack acts as a local canadian phone anywhere in the world. If you need setting help let me know

Aneyshar

Jul 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
GUAT
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-JUL-2011
Med's Done....
22-JUN-2011
magpie, would it work with a US number magicjack? Getting a canadian one is beyond my reach right now, remember me and husband are NOT in Canada, we've applied outland. But I know ppl in my neighborhood who own US-registered MJ's, I will use one of those to call the CIC.

thanks and good luck with your new future in Canada.

luci1209

Aug 26, 2011
magpie said:
Aneyshar, Just purchase the Magic Jack and register it with a phone number from your home in Canada. Initial setup I believe is 40 dollars for the device and another 10 dollars for a canadian number. Once you have tested it at home and it has a registered Canadian Phone Number then you can take this device and plug it into any Computer in the world with USB and connect a phone to it and va la... you have a Canadian phone in a foreign country. I tried Vonage but it was no good but Magic Jack has worked 100 percent for me and I have local calling anywhere in North America from where I am and voice mail. After the initial setup the following year is 20 dollars. We will leave this one behind for the inlaws so that parents and daughter can call anytime at no cost.

Only one problem... you must have highspeed internet. It is also not necessary to have a phone and can use just the computer speakers and mic but the communication is choppy. So when you call CIC or anyone caller ID will show your Canadian number. You can purchase this in many places now in Canada. The Source is one or check the internet. An excellent device. They also have Magic Jack plus. I will get when we are settled in Canada as I do not want the local phone company anymore. Magic Jack is cheaper and offers the same or even more service including free North American long distance.

Magic Jack acts as a local canadian phone anywhere in the world. If you need setting help let me know
hi i take free calls to canada and other european countries by using humnut.com service its free with no cost try the website and u can call 40 european countries free. but every 8th minute the call will get disconnected and u have to connect it and u can talk unlimited

M

magpie

Aneyshar said:
magpie, would it work with a US number magicjack? Getting a canadian one is beyond my reach right now, remember me and husband are NOT in Canada, we've applied outland. But I know ppl in my neighborhood who own US-registered MJ's, I will use one of those to call the CIC.

thanks and good luck with your new future in Canada.
'
\

It initially gets registered with a US number but I think that the toll free number for CIC has to be called from a Canadian number.

Aneyshar

Jul 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
GUAT
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-JUL-2011
Med's Done....
22-JUN-2011
magpie said:
'
\

It initially gets registered with a US number but I think that the toll free number for CIC has to be called from Canada.
magpie, I was afraid you'd say that.

luci, thanks for the tip, i'll try that too.

luci1209

Aug 26, 2011
hi friends my hubby.s birthday is in this month do u know any online sites where i can arrange a cake delivery to canada (scarborough) and pay online

dakonej

May 26, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
luci1209 said:
hi friends my hubby.s birthday is in this month do u know any online sites where i can arrange a cake delivery to canada (scarborough) and pay online
You can try Schelle Sweets (http://www.schellesweets.com/) they have a $15 flat rate for delivery anywhere in the GTA. There's also Bunner's, great flavor choices (http://www.bunners.ca/shop/index.php/catering-and-deliveries) their delivery rates start at $10, and you can order online.

Good luck.

MandyUK

Jun 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22nd July 2011
File Transfer...
27th September 2011
Med's Done....
1st July 2011
Passport Req..
November 7th 2011
VISA ISSUED...
December 29th 2011
LANDED..........
24th Jan 2012. (Canada Place)
Hi guys, I have a question or you, Im going to visit my hubby on the 24th, as for evidence that I intend to return if my application fails, both me and my hubby have return tickets for end of feb. He still has PR in the UK and thought if we tell the IO that if it fails or i have to return in feb that we would both be going as my hubby has PR in the UK still. Do you think that would help in proving I dont intend to stay and return when I have to.
It important as I did have a depature order 10 years ago ( I left within the 30 days) but havent been back since, so I have that, a lease on my flat. My daughters , parents, granddaughters, and siblings are all going to be in the UK. Also we will have the email showing proof that we got the sponsoship, the payment reciept for the fees, our marriage certificate.
Any advice?

AndreUK

Star Member
Mar 14, 2011
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13 July 2011
File Transfer...
15 September 2011
Med's Done....
April 2011
Passport Req..
17 November 2011
VISA ISSUED...
December 2011
LANDED..........
21 December 2011
Hey Mandy,

I think you are extremely well prepared.
I've been coming into Canada WITHOUT return tickets or any links anywhere else for over 4 years. I have gone back to the UK, back to Brazil several times, even without my Canadian wife, and never had any problems at all. They have never asked me for a return ticket. What's even more remarkable is that I've been on visitor visas all this time. I've also crossed the US border and back dozens of times, some with expired visa, (having applied for a new one), etc.
From my experience, they are out to catch the bad guys (and the nervous ones!!! hahaha). I know sometimes we hear bad stories, but their job really isn't to stop people like us. They must know how to read people pretty well.

MandyUK said:
Hi guys, I have a question or you, Im going to visit my hubby on the 24th, as for evidence that I intend to return if my application fails, both me and my hubby have return tickets for end of feb. He still has PR in the UK and thought if we tell the IO that if it fails or i have to return in feb that we would both be going as my hubby has PR in the UK still. Do you think that would help in proving I dont intend to stay and return when I have to.
It important as I did have a depature order 10 years ago ( I left within the 30 days) but havent been back since, so I have that, a lease on my flat. My daughters , parents, granddaughters, and siblings are all going to be in the UK. Also we will have the email showing proof that we got the sponsoship, the payment reciept for the fees, our marriage certificate.
Any advice?

Maid_Marian

Star Member
May 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/07/2011
Med's Done....
12-07-2011
Passport Req..
17-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
13-12-2011
LANDED..........
30-12-2011
MandyUK said:
Any advice?
Best to be well prepared I say! When I re-entered Canada during my work permit, they did ask me if I had a return flight booked and, even stranger, someone checked my return flight booking while I was waiting in line to check in in Birmingham! Still not 100% sure who he was, but he must have been with Borders.

I don't think you'll have any problems. Applying outland, you're allowed to visit Canada while processing (heck, I'm living here as a visitor while processing!!) and it sounds like you have everything you need. Just be calm at the border and, when they ask what the purpose of your visit is, say that you're visiting your husband. You have your return flights and, if they ask any more questions, I'm sure they'll be happy with the info you have to give them. You're legitimate! x

MandyUK

Jun 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22nd July 2011
File Transfer...
27th September 2011
Med's Done....
1st July 2011
Passport Req..
November 7th 2011
VISA ISSUED...
December 29th 2011
LANDED..........
AndreUK said:
Hey Mandy,

I think you are extremely well prepared.
I've been coming into Canada WITHOUT return tickets or any links anywhere else for over 4 years. I have gone back to the UK, back to Brazil several times, even without my Canadian wife, and never had any problems at all. They have never asked me for a return ticket. What's even more remarkable is that I've been on visitor visas all this time. I've also crossed the US border and back dozens of times, some with expired visa, (having applied for a new one), etc.
From my experience, they are out to catch the bad guys (and the nervous ones!!! hahaha). I know sometimes we hear bad stories, but their job really isn't to stop people like us. They must know how to read people pretty well.
Thanks AndreUk and Maid_Marian, just was nervous cause of the departure order, even though it was 10 years ago and i have not returned since, I worry that they will think im gonna do it again, to say i was mortified when it happene was mild as I have never been in trouble with anything before, well thanks guys, i will let you know how i get on ;D

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
Maid_Marian said:
Best to be well prepared I say! When I re-entered Canada during my work permit, they did ask me if I had a return flight booked and, even stranger, someone checked my return flight booking while I was waiting in line to check in in Birmingham! Still not 100% sure who he was, but he must have been with Borders.
Everytime I fly (from Manchester) someone in the queue checks my return flight. I think they are airline people and they check because if you dont have a return and you are not admitted to canada then they have to fly you home again. One time I didnt have a return and I had to buy one from the airport before they'd let me check in.
Now I have the PR card its so good!!

I have never been asked by immigration if I have a return flight, or to show the ticket. Have only been asked how long I am 'visiting'.
Like AndreUK I visited for almost 3.5 years with only visitor status, I never even had a visitor record. I also had some pretty nice experiences with the canadian immigration. (had some rotten ones too though!)

awor

Nov 4, 2010
Oregon to Alberta
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> LA
App. Filed.......
26 Aug 2011
AOR Received.
15 Dec 2011
File Transfer...
[b]CPC-M to Buffalo:[/b] 03 Nov 2011 [b]Buffalo to LA:[/b] 19 Jan 2012
Med's Done....
11 Apr 2011 [b]Ecas shows received [/b]5 Mar 2012
Passport Req..
7 Mar 2012 [b]Decision Made[/b]: 1 Apr 2012
VISA ISSUED...
29 Mar 2012 [b] CORP Received[/b]: 19 Apr 2012
LANDED..........
Sumas: 25 April 2012 / [b]PR Cards Received[/b]: 4 July 2012
Good luck MandyUK!! You're going a week before me, may we both have an uneventful time getting through to "visit while PR is in process"!

MandyUK

Jun 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22nd July 2011
File Transfer...
27th September 2011
Med's Done....
1st July 2011
Passport Req..
November 7th 2011
VISA ISSUED...
December 29th 2011
LANDED..........
awor said:
Good luck MandyUK!! You're going a week before me, may we both have an uneventful time getting through to "visit while PR is in process"!
Thanks Awor, do you think its best to just say your visiting your hubby, or that you have a PR application in and would like to visit while it goes through, only seen some different things that people have said at the border, didnt know if it would be classed as misrepresentation if you wasnt honest straight up? :-\

sidkrose

Apr 25, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2011
AOR Received.
24-10-2011
Med's Done....
08-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2011
LANDED..........
10-12-2011
MandyUK, I think you only give information they ask for, and don't volunteer anything they don't ask for. That's what I've heard anyway.