+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thailand advice

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Thanks, man, I'm sorry to be a jerk -- I've lived in Thailand a long time. Where there's a will, there's a way, but a lot of people get into things too fast and don't have that. Bringing her to CAnada first is a GREAT idea.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Figure out early what you think about things like the dowry, and try living in her village and see if you like it or not. I love Thai village life, but a lot of people hate it. Also, Thai is VERY easy to learn, it just requires an initial input because everything is so different -- 4 months of hard work, pay attention to the tones, and you'll be good. Also, please accept my congratulations as well as my rude advice, if you're going to entangle yourself with a new woman and a new country, Thailand is the place to go.

collectskulls

Star Member
Jul 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-12
AOR Received.
2-10-12
File Transfer...
2-10-12
Med's Done....
26-06-12
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
19-02-13
VISA ISSUED...
15-03-13
LANDED..........
19-03-13
don't take this the wrong way but ..... you need to slowwwwwwww down!!!!!

And yes my Wife is Thai 5555

Ttcdfolk

Star Member
Dec 19, 2012
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2012
AOR Received.
01-12-2012
Med's Done....
15-10-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-02-2013
LANDED..........
07-07-2013
on-hold said:
Figure out early what you think about things like the dowry, and try living in her village and see if you like it or not. I love Thai village life, but a lot of people hate it. Also, Thai is VERY easy to learn, it just requires an initial input because everything is so different -- 4 months of hard work, pay attention to the tones, and you'll be good. Also, please accept my congratulations as well as my rude advice, if you're going to entangle yourself with a new woman and a new country, Thailand is the place to go.

Dowry never paid that one. Here buy my adult child off me, now that's culture. Lived in Asia for 11 years, Thailand awesome place to visit, but not to live. Not enough money and to be honest the Thais aren't as hard working as most Northern Asian countries in my opinion, like China, Japan or Korea.

sunsun

Apr 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-02-2013
Lived in Asia for 11 years..

Which countries did you live ? How well do you know those countries?

Ttcdfolk

Star Member
Dec 19, 2012
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2012
AOR Received.
01-12-2012
Med's Done....
15-10-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-02-2013
LANDED..........
07-07-2013
sunsun said:

2 years in Thailand, 1.5 in Japan, 6 months in Korea, and the rest in Southern China and Hong Kong. Long enough to understand the work ethic, but not long enough to understand the culture, that being said I could live in any of these countries for 50 years and I still wouldn't understand their culture.

Ttcdfolk

Star Member
Dec 19, 2012
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2012
AOR Received.
01-12-2012
Med's Done....
15-10-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-02-2013
LANDED..........
07-07-2013
sunsun said:

And just to prove my point here is a link.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-hardest-working-countries-in-the-world-2011-4?op=1

Ttcdfolk

Star Member
Dec 19, 2012
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2012
AOR Received.
01-12-2012
Med's Done....
15-10-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-02-2013
LANDED..........
07-07-2013
sunsun said:
In Thailand some Chinese live there and they can speak Mandarin but many of their sons/daughters don't understand it. I have few Thai friends live in Sydney,Australia.. They are really hard working people..They could live whatever the conditions when they were International students..Now they live permanently with their husband in Sydney..They love so much their husbands..I also had 1 male Thai friend when I stayed about 2 years in Sydney and he is a native Thai and he worked so hard in Thailand and Sydney..I asked him,"Don't you feel tired?" He told me he didn't mind as long he could get money for better future.
Ya, that are a couple cases, on a whole I would disagree. If you take second gen rich kids, in any country most of them are lazy. Just look up the two economies and that will tell you the picture on a whole. That being said Chinese are the most likely to leave their countries and never come back. Also countries will bend over backwards to get Chinese tourists/students/workers to come to their countries, not because they are lazy and not hard working but because they are hard working and have tons of cash. And as my mother once said money doesn't grow on trees.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
If that's what you think of the Thai dowry, then it's obvious you don't know much about the place -- your description has nothing to do with it's reality, and anyone marrying a Thai woman needs to think seriously about their opinion on it.

In my experience, the Thais are the most industrious people I've ever known -- tragically, their country doesn't reward industry as much as connections, and the Thai aren't stupid enough to work like slaves when there's no benefit to doing so.

collectskulls

Star Member
Jul 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-12
AOR Received.
2-10-12
File Transfer...
2-10-12
Med's Done....
26-06-12
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
19-02-13
VISA ISSUED...
15-03-13
LANDED..........
19-03-13
hmmm i never paid a dowry to marry my wife been going there for close to 15 years now :)

on-hold said:
If that's what you think of the Thai dowry, then it's obvious you don't know much about the place -- your description has nothing to do with it's reality, and anyone marrying a Thai woman needs to think seriously about their opinion on it.

Luckyman

Sep 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wow...there are some serious problems with this thread (Asian racial bias etc).......so I'll get back to the original poster.

Yes slow is good....but at the same time, when meeting someone online and realizing that physical visiting can and will only happen average 4 weeks a year, one does need to consider the long haul in the beginning....also realizing that things progress differently in a long distance relationship is good.

Remember, that even if you do marry quick, you will still be apart for the majority of most western courtship terms before "starting" your life....so I say, go with the flow, AND consider marriage and the future as well.

Cheers!

(BTW I proposed after 3 months and meeting wifey's family and I don't regret it at all....we celebrated our one year wedding anniversary last Nov......apart)

mythailove

Mar 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
collectskulls said:
hmmm i never paid a dowry to marry my wife been going there for close to 15 years now :)
I asked her about dowry and she tells me it is not needed. She only has one sister who is married with kids in Bangkok. They wouldn't expect a dowry as she claims.

I have also been to Thailand before and know a bit about the culture there (little, not going to through a fit like others and compete who knows what better^). I'll will tell you though....I never met a Thai woman like this before. She is not desperate to leave Thailand, nor is she desperate for a western rich man to wisk her away. That's why I like her so much and believe in her.

Yes, we plan on taking it slow. I am going there at the end of April taking advantage of the 4 day weekend I have.

Thanks for your concern. And I mean that.

mythailove

Mar 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Luckyman said:
wow...there are some serious problems with this thread (Asian racial bias etc).......so I'll get back to the original poster.

Yes slow is good....but at the same time, when meeting someone online and realizing that physical visiting can and will only happen average 4 weeks a year, one does need to consider the long haul in the beginning....also realizing that things progress differently in a long distance relationship is good.

Remember, that even if you do marry quick, you will still be apart for the majority of most western courtship terms before "starting" your life....so I say, go with the flow, AND consider marriage and the future as well.

Cheers!

(BTW I proposed after 3 months and meeting wifey's family and I don't regret it at all....we celebrated our one year wedding anniversary last Nov......apart)
First of all, yes, some bias there and not to mention way off topic. sunsun and ttcd please start your own thread if not related.

Ttcdfolk

Star Member
Dec 19, 2012
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2012
AOR Received.
01-12-2012
Med's Done....
15-10-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-02-2013
LANDED..........
07-07-2013
collectskulls said:
Thank you!!!!

Ttcdfolk

Star Member
Dec 19, 2012
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2012
AOR Received.
01-12-2012
Med's Done....
15-10-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-02-2013
LANDED..........
07-07-2013
And sorry for jacking your thread. At least we bump it so it gets more attention. But to your problem I hope everything turns out good for you. Give it sometime, my first wife was Thai and when she came to Canada she hated it, it was too cold and like said before not too many Thais around Canada. Maybe van-city or t-dot but Edmonton not that many, plus Thailand is a vey addictive country.