+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thailand advice

mythailove

Mar 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rusty53 said:
It is possible to get a visitor visa for your girlfriend, we did it 2 times. The biggest thing the visa office in Bangkok looks for when they ask for ties to Thailand is if she owns land.
When I talked with her last night, she said she has a passport. Does that mean she is allowed to leave? Or does she still have to get a visa from Bangkok?

mythailove

Mar 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rusty53 said:
It is possible to get a visitor visa for your girlfriend, we did it 2 times. The biggest thing the visa office in Bangkok looks for when they ask for ties to Thailand is if she owns land.
She doesn't own land. However she has a good job as a manager where she has worked for 15 years. Wonder if that would be good?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
mythailove said:
When I talked with her last night, she said she has a passport. Does that mean she is allowed to leave? Or does she still have to get a visa from Bangkok?
She needs to obtain a tourist visa (temporary resident permit) if she wants to travel to Canada.

mythailove

Mar 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rusty53 said:
How long did it take to get her visa approved? How long was she allowed to visit each time approved. She wants to come for a vacation. She tells me she would like to come for 2-3 weeks. Is this possible?

mythailove

Mar 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
She needs to obtain a tourist visa (temporary resident permit) if she wants to travel to Canada.
Is this difficult to obtain? How long?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
mythailove said:
Is this difficult to obtain? How long?
Processing times are here.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp/visitors.asp#asia

As mentioned earlier in this thread, you should assume that it will not be easy for her to get an approved visit visa. She really needs to prove that she has strong ties to Thailand and has no plans to remain in Canada long term. Having a job is good but she should really show more ties than that (ideally property ownership, maybe a rental agreement, other assets owned). Even with a lot of proof, there is definitely still a chance her visa will be refused. Try applying by all means. However have a plan B in case she's refused. Good luck.

mythailove

Mar 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:

Thanks. I imagine she has a rental agreement as well. Never thought of that one. I will ask her for more ties tonight. (had to reply here due to the fact I can't reply when there is a link)

Rusty53

Jul 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2012
AOR Received.
13-11-2012
Med's Done....
20-07-2012
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
I just sent you a PM

Ttcdfolk

Star Member
Dec 19, 2012
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2012
AOR Received.
01-12-2012
Med's Done....
15-10-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-02-2013
LANDED..........
07-07-2013
on-hold said:
I know a man who did this who completed the process in about a year, with him in Canada and his wife in Thailand -- but it wasn't easy, and he spent a lot of money.
HE spent a lot of money that sounds right.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
If that's a crack about the man spending the money or the woman taking advantage of him, I don't quite get it -- his wife was perfectly happy in her own community, why should she spend thousands of dollars to go live in some gloomy northern B.C. town? Her immigration was his idea.

Deedeedar

Star Member
Jul 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Med's Request
28-10-2013
Med's Done....
04-05-2012
LANDED..........
30-04-2014
Hi mythailove!

I'm a Thai women, I met my boyfriend online since 2007. We talked for a year and he decided to meet me in Bangkok, Thailand. After that he visited me 2-3 times per year or we visited other countries near Thailand. In 2010 he brought me to visit his family and friends in Canada. In 2011, he visited my family in southern Thailand and in September he brought me here.

We had to stay together for 1 year then I applied PR inside Canada in begining of December 2012.

I think it is better for you to meet her in person, to see if both of you like each other or not. Later she can visit Canada to see if she likes the cold or not :) As she has a good job, I don't think it will be too dificult for her to get a visitor to Canada. But if you visit her first would be helpful.

Good Luck!

mythailove

Mar 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Deedeedar said:
Hi mythailove!

I'm a Thai women, I met my boyfriend online since 2007. We talked for a year and he decided to meet me in Bangkok, Thailand. After that he visited me 2-3 times per year or we visited other countries near Thailand. In 2010 he brought me to visit his family and friends in Canada. In 2011, he visited my family in southern Thailand and in September he brought me here.

We had to stay together for 1 year then I applied PR inside Canada in begining of December 2012.

I think it is better for you to meet her in person, to see if both of you like each other or not. Later she can visit Canada to see if she likes the cold or not :) As she has a good job, I don't think it will be too dificult for her to get a visitor to Canada. But if you visit her first would be helpful.

Good Luck!
Thanks deedeedar,

I do plan on knowing her for at least a year. I plan on seeing her this summer as well. Maybe again in the winter and spend Christmas with her. I would like her to come here as well for a visit and see if she likes it. Then next year if we agree we can marry in Thailand. We would like to involve her family for the wedding.

Would CIC say no if we were not together for a year? I didn't see that anywhere.

How hard was it for you to get a visa? and how long did it take?

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
mythailove said:
Thanks deedeedar,

I do plan on knowing her for at least a year. I plan on seeing her this summer as well. Maybe again in the winter and spend Christmas with her. I would like her to come here as well for a visit and see if she likes it. Then next year if we agree we can marry in Thailand. We would like to involve her family for the wedding.

Would CIC say no if we were not together for a year? I didn't see that anywhere.

How hard was it for you to get a visa? and how long did it take?
if you are married you don't need to wait to be together for a year. It's either you live together for 12 months to qualify as common-law, or you get married and you can apply right away (but you will still need to prove that your relationship is genuine etc ).

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
I know this is totally unrelated to visa issues, but this is also part of the reason that it's tough for Thai women to get visas -- you've never met her, and you're already planning to get married. You've probably never been to Thailand, you've got no idea what the culture is like or what she expects out of marriage, and I bet her English isn't very great. She doesn't know that Canada (by her standards) is a lousy place to live, and she's going to be isolated and unhappy when she gets here; there are no Thai communities anywhere in the country, just isolated wives. She's assuming that you're well off, and has no idea that the large majority of Canadians don't live any better than Thais do, all things considered; you likely have some idea that she's a 'traditional' woman, who has just never had a chance, and don't know that Thai cultural expectations are very different from the sterotype of the Asian woman. I've seen this play out several times, and the main way it works is if the man has enough money to make up for the wife's disappointment with life in the West.

Sorry to be a jerk -- look at what you're writing about a woman you've never met: "I do plan on knowing her for at least a year. I plan on seeing her this summer as well. Maybe again in the winter and spend Christmas with her. I would like her to come here as well for a visit and see if she likes it. Then next year if we agree we can marry in Thailand. We would like to involve her family for the wedding."

Would you write that about a woman from Manitoba?

mythailove

Mar 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
on-hold said:
I know this is totally unrelated to visa issues, but this is also part of the reason that it's tough for Thai women to get visas -- you've never met her, and you're already planning to get married. You've probably never been to Thailand, you've got no idea what the culture is like or what she expects out of marriage, and I bet her English isn't very great. She doesn't know that Canada (by her standards) is a lousy place to live, and she's going to be isolated and unhappy when she gets here; there are no Thai communities anywhere in the country, just isolated wives. She's assuming that you're well off, and has no idea that the large majority of Canadians don't live any better than Thais do, all things considered; you likely have some idea that she's a 'traditional' woman, who has just never had a chance, and don't know that Thai cultural expectations are very different from the sterotype of the Asian woman. I've seen this play out several times, and the main way it works is if the man has enough money to make up for the wife's disappointment with life in the West.

Sorry to be a jerk -- look at what you're writing about a woman you've never met: "I do plan on knowing her for at least a year. I plan on seeing her this summer as well. Maybe again in the winter and spend Christmas with her. I would like her to come here as well for a visit and see if she likes it. Then next year if we agree we can marry in Thailand. We would like to involve her family for the wedding."

Would you write that about a woman from Manitoba?
You do make some valid points On hold. Although I don't agree with all of them. We are all entitled to our opinions and I thank you for yours.

I have explained many things to her that you have written. Many have come to our great country and started a new life no matter where they came from. I have also explained everything about me and what life is like here. I won't talk about my financial situation, but regardless she wants to work and make friends even though they may not be Thai or even Asian. It's better than working 10 hour days 6 days a week.

I will always encourage anyone to speak their mind and I don't think you are a jerk about it. Good for you showing concern. Thanks