Champion Member
Jan 11, 2011
Toronto
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
09-08-2015
fkl said:
I don't think applying for first time as principal applicant vs applying for spousal work permit only makes any impact on time frames.

In fact their is far less chance of refusal if you apply together, because the main applicant needed in Canada won't be coming if his family is refused. Normally either all are approved or all are rejected. But once PA is there, spouse or kids are just a liability. I have seen families processed in 2 months total.

It really depends upon how strong a job and profile you have, how complete your application was, as well as many other factors such as what time of year you applied and how busy CIC is at that time.

Highest priority is to study permits, then trvs, then work permits. So if you apply between say Mar to July, it is peak time for study permits for Sept, and you are likely to face more delays.

Usually when you receive passport request, you have 15 or so days to submit passport, unless my memory is deceiving me. So if you know that your india visa will be processed with in that time frame, you can apply safely.

Also i assume that you are already passed medicals stage. if that is not the case then you have quite a good deal of time in between since medicals request are issued giving you a two months time frame to get those done.
I don't know how exactly my theory is correct but, I asked to call centre agent regarding processing time for work permit and her answer was for spouse open work permit CIC does not have to investigate about potential employer since the PA applied on the basis of their spouse work permit. However, in arranged employment / LMIA based closed work permit has to go through with different eligibility stages i.e employer evaluation, PA skills, past experience, education and etc which technically takes longer than usual time to process

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Wow, that's a surprising answer from CIC helpline for me.

But one thing i know is CIC doesn't do much scrutiny about potential employer. That is the task of HRSDC at the time of issuing LMO / LMIA. CIC only ensures that the person actually has the profile that was claimed in the LMO.

The average processing time that i have seen for good cases where they apply together was still around 2-3 months in total, and these were paper applications. I am yet to see ANY individual SOWP from Pakistan which is processed in less than two months.

Just sharing my experience, though this was certainly a different dimension for me Ali - coming from a CIC agent. Thanks for sharing

alijumani

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2011
Toronto
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
09-08-2015
fkl said:
Wow, that's a surprising answer from CIC helpline for me.

But one thing i know is CIC doesn't do much scrutiny about potential employer. That is the task of HRSDC at the time of issuing LMO / LMIA. CIC only ensures that the person actually has the profile that was claimed in the LMO.

The average processing time that i have seen for good cases where they apply together was still around 2-3 months in total, and these were paper applications. I am yet to see ANY individual SOWP from Pakistan which is processed in less than two months.

Just sharing my experience, though this was certainly a different dimension for me Ali - coming from a CIC agent. Thanks for sharing
The reason it takes months in Isbad office because of our diplomatic relations and other factor such as background checks. When I asked my MP to inquire the status on my spouse file in 2nd week of november. The MP called me back in an hour with an update that your spouse file is still in background checks once it clears will go to the next level.

sonuahmad

Star Member
Jun 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad, Pakistan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-07-2014
alijumani said:
The reason your application is taking longer time to process is because you applied work permit as principal applicant so CIC takes all the time to make sure the applicant is bona fide. However, in my case I am the main applicant who is already in Canada on work permit and applied my spouse's open work permit based on my skill job.
Hello alijumani,

could you please tell me how much time they gives to your spouse to submitted their medical ? Because India visa will be processed with in 10-15 days and if we include courier time then it would be around 20 days so do you think if I got medical request from cic will I have enough time to submit medical ? Because I want to submit my passport for India visa before getting anything from cic.

Many Thanks,
Sonu Ahmad

sonuahmad

Star Member
Jun 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad, Pakistan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-07-2014
fkl said:
I don't think applying for first time as principal applicant vs applying for spousal work permit only makes any impact on time frames.

In fact their is far less chance of refusal if you apply together, because the main applicant needed in Canada won't be coming if his family is refused. Normally either all are approved or all are rejected. But once PA is there, spouse or kids are just a liability. I have seen families processed in 2 months total.

It really depends upon how strong a job and profile you have, how complete your application was, as well as many other factors such as what time of year you applied and how busy CIC is at that time.

Highest priority is to study permits, then trvs, then work permits. So if you apply between say Mar to July, it is peak time for study permits for Sept, and you are likely to face more delays.

Usually when you receive passport request, you have 15 or so days to submit passport, unless my memory is deceiving me. So if you know that your india visa will be processed with in that time frame, you can apply safely.

Also i assume that you are already passed medicals stage. if that is not the case then you have quite a good deal of time in between since medicals request are issued giving you a two months time frame to get those done.
Hello fkl,

Its really nice to see you. Just want to inform you that cic didn't asked me for medical yet so what do you think will they ask for medical or that is not necessary ? If they will ask for medical how much time they will give me to take my medical exam and will they ask for passport to take medical exam ? Because I want to submit my passport for India visa before getting any request from cic. What should I do ?

Many Thanks,
Sonu Ahmad

sonuahmad

Star Member
Jun 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad, Pakistan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-07-2014
Hellooo guys where are you ? i am still waiting for replays from you. please reply to my post.

alijumani

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2011
Toronto
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
09-08-2015
sonuahmad said:
Hello alijumani,

could you please tell me how much time they gives to your spouse to submitted their medical ? Because India visa will be processed with in 10-15 days and if we include courier time then it would be around 20 days so do you think if I got medical request from cic will I have enough time to submit medical ? Because I want to submit my passport for India visa before getting anything from cic.

Many Thanks,
Sonu Ahmad
Sorry for the late reply. CHC Islamabad gave 30 days to do the medical.

P.S: If you receive a medical request while you are in India. You can still able do your medical in India. Applicant can give their medical exam to any panel physician regardless of country and city.

sonuahmad

Star Member
Jun 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad, Pakistan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-07-2014
alijumani said:
Sorry for the late reply. CHC Islamabad gave 30 days to do the medical.

P.S: If you receive a medical request while you are in India. You can still able do your medical in India. Applicant can give their medical exam to any panel physician regardless of country and city.
Thank you so much for the reply. Much appreciated. Actually I decided to not visit India for now but I am still waiting to hear from the cic its 5 months gone but still didn't hear anything yet.

Thanks

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
sonuahmad said:
Hello fkl,

Its really nice to see you. Just want to inform you that cic didn't asked me for medical yet so what do you think will they ask for medical or that is not necessary ? If they will ask for medical how much time they will give me to take my medical exam and will they ask for passport to take medical exam ? Because I want to submit my passport for India visa before getting any request from cic. What should I do ?

Many Thanks,
Sonu Ahmad
My apologies for the delay. But medicals are necessary for a work permit application. So unless you submitted those upfront and they are able to relate without asking you (i haven never seen this happening, they always ask). So you would receive a medical request at some point and usually CIC gives you 60 days to get those done.

The passport thing varies from time to time and embassy to embassy. If you have applied online and haven't submitted original passport, then Medical practitioner would ask for it as primary source of identification. They usually don't accept any other document.

However, in my home country there was a time when for people who had applied on paper and had originally submitted passports to embassy, they would accept national id cards as substitute and copy of passports. However, there was also a time period when CIC would actually mail back your passport with medical request, you would use originals to get medicals done - then send passport back again to embassy (it was a mess), but that used to be the practice as late and 2013.

I don't know what happens in your case. But the point is, if you have applied online and haven't submitted passport, it is likely that medical practitioner won't accept any thing but original passport.

Good luck

forsaken11

Star Member
Mar 7, 2013
Is a protectorate stamp needed for an open work permit?

Hi Everyone

This has been a super helpful forum, Thank you all.

My wife has an open work permit. Should I get her a protectorate stamp? I have a regular work permit and have gotten the protectorate stamp already. I am now worried that the agent at airport may ask for the protectorate stamp on my wife's passport. Her visa says 'worker' but she has no job or offer letter. The protectorate stamp in my passport mentions an employer, and I am confused what the stamp in her passport would say, even if I manage to get her one.

To me it seems that people without job offers should not get the protectorate stamp. However, I don't want to take any chances. We are leaving in few days and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks a lot

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
@ forsaken11,

Yes, she does need protectorate stamp - Every worker does (whether closed or open). In fact you should have gotten it for both together if you planned to leave together. You would indicate that it is a SOWP and hence won't mention employer details.

They would also ask for a declaration on stamp paper from husband or father which allows her to work in Canada. Normally a stamp paper seller outside Protectorate office will do it for you charging a few hundred PKR.

sonuahmad

Star Member
Jun 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad, Pakistan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-07-2014
fkl said:
My apologies for the delay. But medicals are necessary for a work permit application. So unless you submitted those upfront and they are able to relate without asking you (i haven never seen this happening, they always ask). So you would receive a medical request at some point and usually CIC gives you 60 days to get those done.

The passport thing varies from time to time and embassy to embassy. If you have applied online and haven't submitted original passport, then Medical practitioner would ask for it as primary source of identification. They usually don't accept any other document.

However, in my home country there was a time when for people who had applied on paper and had originally submitted passports to embassy, they would accept national id cards as substitute and copy of passports. However, there was also a time period when CIC would actually mail back your passport with medical request, you would use originals to get medicals done - then send passport back again to embassy (it was a mess), but that used to be the practice as late and 2013.

I don't know what happens in your case. But the point is, if you have applied online and haven't submitted passport, it is likely that medical practitioner won't accept any thing but original passport.

Good luck
Thank you so much for your detailed answer. Actually I applied online 5 months and few weeks ago and I am still waiting to hear from the cic. CIC didn't asked me anything yet but only biometrics.

Hope to hear from them soon.

Thanks

sonuahmad

Star Member
Jun 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad, Pakistan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-07-2014
Hello Seniors,

I just want to ask you a simple question which is actually I notice CIC changed the processing time for work permit to 7 months and when I was applied 5 months ago that time processing time was 6 months so what processing time will be applied to my application ? 7 months or 6 months ?

Many Thanks,
Sonu Ahmad

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
sonuahmad said:
Hello Seniors,

I just want to ask you a simple question which is actually I notice CIC changed the processing time for work permit to 7 months and when I was applied 5 months ago that time processing time was 6 months so what processing time will be applied to my application ? 7 months or 6 months ?

Many Thanks,
Sonu Ahmad
You are most welcome Sonu. The processing time is changed based upon average time it took for 80% of the applicants processed in the last time frame (depending upon how often they update this - some times every six months, otherwise yearly).

So its past average and has nothing to do with an individual application. You could have been done much sooner if all was well or your individual application might have been stuck due to factors in or beyond your control and might take longer. You never know.

sonuahmad

Star Member
Jun 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad, Pakistan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-07-2014
fkl said:
You are most welcome Sonu. The processing time is changed based upon average time it took for 80% of the applicants processed in the last time frame (depending upon how often they update this - some times every six months, otherwise yearly).

So its past average and has nothing to do with an individual application. You could have been done much sooner if all was well or your individual application might have been stuck due to factors in or beyond your control and might take longer. You never know.
Even I asked multiple times to CIC about my application status via online and every time they gave me response in just one line which is "Your application is under process/review" I want to get my visa very soon its really hard to wait long for me and also for my employer.

Regards,
Sonu