+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taiwanese Wife Coming to Canada

kentr

Aug 2, 2012
My wife, Taiwanese, and two children, Canadian, will be arriving in Canada in couple of weeks. We were advised by Immigration Canada to apply inland once she arrives. However, I have recently heard that by applying inland, if she wants to return for a visit to Taiwan she may not be allowed back into Canada while her PR is still being processed. Has anyone heard of a spouse not being allowed to return to Canada while their PR is being processed?
Thanks

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kentr said:
My wife, Taiwanese, and two children, Canadian, will be arriving in Canada in couple of weeks. We were advised by Immigration Canada to apply inland once she arrives. However, I have recently heard that by applying inland, if she wants to return for a visit to Taiwan she may not be allowed back into Canada while her PR is still being processed. Has anyone heard of a spouse not being allowed to return to Canada while their PR is being processed?
Thanks
Eek! What you recently heard is correct ... and the part of the equation that's missing (brace yourself...) is that if she isn't allowed back in and you applied inland, the application is considered abandoned and you'd have to start from scratch with an Outland application.

Two thoughts:
- to be allowed back in to Canada, your wife will be examined at the border every time and they will check for closer ties to Taiwan than Canada to make sure she will leave when her temporary resident visa (visitor visa) duration of stay expires. While you can apply for a temporary resident permit for humanitarian and compassionate reasons since your sons are Canadian and will be in Canada you want to plan carefully for trips.

- why did they advise you to apply inland? The 2 reasons I can think of are:
(i) the Hong Kong visa office (her visa office if she were to apply outland) can be pretty long (taking 18 months to process step 2). However, the fastest 20% are completed in 6 months so the spread is also pretty wide. Thus, adding in the 3 months for step 1, Outland you're looking at 9 months to 2 years). Inland is taking 11 months + 8 months. You can see the details at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/fc-spouses.asp
(ii) you're would avoid having to travel back to Taiwan for any interview (rare if you have solid proof of relationship) and may need to find a way to get her passport back to Taiwan for the visa to be placed in the passport (mail it if legal in Taiwan to do so, go herself, have someone hand carry it for her if legal to do so, etc) since Taiwan is not visa exempt other than for "persons holding an ordinary passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan that includes their personal identification number."

However, applying Outland you would retain appeal rights (always good not to give up) and you have significant potential upside on timing and only a couple months downside (and a bit more than that if she needs a work permit)

Note that you can apply Outland and be in Canada.

On a separate note, you may want to plan carefully for your wife's trip in 2 weeks. Assuming she's coming as a tourist to wait out the process, you want to make sure you and she understand what she can and can't do so you can communicate that when she arrives to the border officers and avoid misunderstandings.

motorcyclerider

Star Member
Jul 4, 2012
Taipei
Category........
Visa Office......
HK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
7/25/2012
AOR Received.
10/5/2012 - AOR 2: 10/22/2012
File Transfer...
10/14/2012
Med's Done....
7/17/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11/8/2012
VISA ISSUED...
11/23/2012
LANDED..........
Spring 2013
Taiwan is actually visa exempt travel up to 6 months as of 2010. I'm in the same boat as you kentr. We were originally going to apply inland but after considering the disadvantages, especially her not being able to travel freely we opted for outland, plus the trouble of having to renew her visitor's status every 6 months. Once we get our sponsorship approval we will move back to Canada, and wait for the rest of the process to be finish there. And worse comes to worse we will fly back for the interview. I still think outland is the better choice even if you want to move back to Canada asap. Oh, and another advantage of applying in Taiwan is the cost and convenience. All the documents issued in Taiwan are already in English so no need to pay for translations. My wife's household registry cost $200nt (30 minutes to get), police clearance $100nt (2 days to get), medical exam with courier fee $3,900nt (1 hour to get), all the photos cost under $1,000nt (got them in 1 hour, this includes all the immigration photos for my family of 4 and photo evidence - 70 photos). The cost of these things to do in Canada would be at least double the cost and double the headache.

kentr

Aug 2, 2012
My wife is in Taichung. Is there a generic medical form she has to fill out provided by the hospital or Canadian government?
Thanks

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kentr said:
My wife is in Taichung. Is there a generic medical form she has to fill out provided by the hospital or Canadian government?
Thanks
She will have to get a medical exam by a Panel Physician - see http://www.cic.gc.ca/dmp-md/medicalinfo.aspx?CountryID=1993&CountryName=Taiwan for a list. Note that it is usually best to do this just before you mail out your application to minimize the probability that you have to redo the medical exam before the visa is issued (they expire one year after being issued, with limited opportunities for extension without a redo).

motorcyclerider

Star Member
Jul 4, 2012
Taipei
Category........
Visa Office......
HK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
7/25/2012
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
10/14/2012
Med's Done....
7/17/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11/8/2012
VISA ISSUED...
11/23/2012
LANDED..........
Spring 2013
If you download the Country Specific Checklist (IMM 3907) for Taiwan from the cic website the form and instructions will be all there. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

kentr

Aug 2, 2012
Note that you can apply Outland and be in Canada.

On a separate note, you may want to plan carefully for your wife's trip in 2 weeks. Assuming she's coming as a tourist to wait out the process, you want to make sure you and she understand what she can and can't do so you can communicate that when she arrives to the border officers and avoid misunderstandings.
I guess we will prepare all her papers in order to file an outland application after she arrives in Canada.

Jan 2, 2013
motorcyclerider said:
All the documents issued in Taiwan are already in English so no need to pay for translations. My wife's household registry cost $200nt (30 minutes to get)
Sorry to hijack this thread a bit but, when I went to get the household registry in English they asked if I wanted the whole document or just my wife's portion. Each family member included was an additional $150nt, so should I just be getting my wife's portion or the whole family?

motorcyclerider

Star Member
Jul 4, 2012
Taipei
Category........
Visa Office......
HK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
7/25/2012
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
10/14/2012
Med's Done....
7/17/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11/8/2012
VISA ISSUED...
11/23/2012
LANDED..........
Spring 2013
The whole thing, mine was 2 pages and cost $200nt.