+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student Visa Rejection (PhD student Application)

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Officers duties are basically to assess whether your plan to study in Canada is relevant based on your background and that you're not seeking permanent immigration to Canada via a student permit. I am sure you already know that :) As such, the officer is not entitled to assess whether you should get an admission to a PhD but whether pursuing a PhD is relevant for you and your intentions are purely academics and not to remain in Canada for the long haul. That's why I don't get the question regarding the applicant's publications. It's about the relevance of admission to the doctorate, which is the university' s responsibility.

In this case, a PhD is the highest degree so this is not a downgrade. It is in Chemistry which is valuable for the job market, and more importantly it seems to be funded which is not always the case in Canada. If the applicant already holds a PhD, then yes it might be an issue from the officer's perspective.

I was just a bit upset by the refusal based on the lack of funding. I am a Phd student and all foreigners in my cohort (me included) use their fellowship as a proof of sufficient fund.

I agree with you that more proof should be provided. Perhaps (if it was not previously done) the applicant should add a letter from the university stating that the scholarship is paid annually and it allows the student to pay for tuition, health insurance and personal needs.

Sorry if I was too intense in my comments.
No. You are not too intense and i was suprised why this was the case but my quick look was additional proof of fund. My previous stand hold, that officer have that discreation to go as far as look at your previous academic records and may draw inferred from that. Its okey to disagree and im glad we are doing it respectful.

I looked at the OP CON, and doesnt seem to come from high risk country, as Chemistry at Phd level is considered as high risk. Refer Iranian Chemistry Phd student whose JR was declined after CSIS found out he worked with Iran Gvt secretely. I know this example sound irrelevant but just want to make a point about chemistry.

now way forward, and provided there is addition PoF, OP can reapply and address all other points raised.

Jay Dave

Aug 3, 2021
What was your previous studies /degrees? . How many publications did you showed ?
Tuition fee: 9k/yr.
Education: MSc in Analytical chemistry, have 3.5 yr experience in the research field and one 1st author publication. Why does the visa officer need to chk my publication?

Last edited:

Jay Dave

Aug 3, 2021
No. You are not too intense and i was suprised why this was the case but my quick look was additional proof of fund. My previous stand hold, that officer have that discreation to go as far as look at your previous academic records and may draw inferred from that. Its okey to disagree and im glad we are doing it respectful.

I looked at the OP CON, and doesnt seem to come from high risk country, as Chemistry at Phd level is considered as high risk. Refer Iranian Chemistry Phd student whose JR was declined after CSIS found out he worked with Iran Gvt secretely. I know this example sound irrelevant but just want to make a point about chemistry.

now way forward, and provided there is addition PoF, OP can reapply and address all other points raised.
My previous researcher was on Atmospheric chemistry, Air Pollution and Aerosol. PhD subject is indoor air chemistry

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear All,
I'm Jay from India. I got a visa rejection due to the below-mentioned reasons.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in
subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
• Pursuant to paragraph 220(a) of the IRPA, I am not satisfied that you have sufficient and
available financial resources, without working in Canada, to pay the tuition fees for the course or
program of studies that you intend to pursue.

Visa Timeline
Medical 22 April 21
File 15 May 21
Biometric 28 June 21
BVL received, 30/7/21
IELTS overall 6.5 each >6
Medical not update yet
Non-Sds category due to funding from the university, GIC & tuition did not pay
Course PhD in chemistry, Uni of Saskatchewan 25k/yr fellowship
Tuition fee 9k/yr
10k cad bank balance showed.
Everything is mentioned in sop completely.

I need your guidance and Insightful comments
Do you have a family?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
About sponsorship and Financial Arrangements:
Estimated tuition fees and living expenses, as per the information provided in my Letter of Acceptance, for 1st -year full-time on-campus student are as below:
Tuition: CAD $6,731
Student Fees: CAD $1,054
Living Expenses: CAD $13,410 - $ 17,260
In total, the expenses will be CAD $23,000 approximately. To cover these expenses, I already have my own savings of around INR 7,00,000 (CAD 11,500 approximately). Moreover, I am entitled to receive total financial support per annum no less than 25,750.00 CAD from the University of Saskatchewan. This is a maximum 6 years of the program, where financial support for 56 months is guaranteed.
Your budget is extremely tight. Living on 17k a year is a very tight a budget and 13k is just unrealistic. Just your basic living expenses with rent, Internet, phone,
cheap student food like ramen noodles all prepared at home and potentially utilities will likely be over 1K/month if you live in shared accommodations. Realistically once you include some flights, transportation in SK, some meals out, some clothing, some fruits and veggies, basic stuff that you need to live, basic furniture, etc. you don’t have enough funds.

ethan123

Star Member
Apr 28, 2021
Your budget is extremely tight. Living on 17k a year is a very tight a budget and 13k is just unrealistic. Just your basic living expenses with rent, Internet, phone,
cheap student food like ramen noodles all prepared at home and potentially utilities will likely be over 1K/month if you live in shared accommodations. Realistically once you include some flights, transportation in SK, some meals out, some clothing, some fruits and veggies, basic stuff that you need to live, basic furniture, etc. you don’t have enough funds.
isnt the required funding 10K + tuition?

Reactions: kwaame

kwaame

Star Member
Jul 11, 2021
I’m trying to figure out what was the main
Why is it important? The officer's job is not to assess whether the applicant deserves to be admitted to a PhD program. let alone that publications are not always required in order to do a phd.
May be there is something we don't know about the funding conditions but as long as he/she gets 25 000$/per year then she/he should be fine regarding the financial part of the application.
I’m trying to figure out what might be other reasons , as far as I know 25$k should be enough as the current tuition fee of that university is about 8$k . Im so surprised the person got denied. I will strongly advised the person to reapply by providing additional 10$k to the funding maybe it will hep.

Reactions: Jay Dave

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
isnt the required funding 10K + tuition?
10k plus tuition or 25k is an average. If doing a college degree you have time to work part-time. As a PhD student you are usually too busy to work part-time. The VO looks at your financial status and looks to see whether there is more money available if necessary. His savings have to last over the 5 years. They still need to take into account whether a person can afford to be in Canada especially after this year. They want to avoid destitute students which does happen.

kwaame

Star Member
Jul 11, 2021
Tuition fee: 9k/yr.
Education: MSc in Analytical chemistry, have 3.5 yr experience in the research field and one 1st author publication.
Jay Dave , as you can see all the posters are behind you and are worried about your visa denial. I earlier asked about your publication and previous degrees. Everything shows that you are active researcher, and having 1st author publication shows that your intent is purely academic. Please, kindly reapply immediately, you will get it , we all understand how difficult it is to get PhD funding in Canada . Don’t be discouraged, please apply again, you will get the study permit.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I’m trying to figure out what was the main

I’m trying to figure out what might be other reasons , as far as I know 25$k should be enough as the current tuition fee of that university is about 8$k . Im so surprised the person got denied. I will strongly advised the person to reapply by providing additional 10$k to the funding maybe it will hep.
Tuition is around 9k so he has 16k/yr plus extra 10k (to use over 5+ years). 2k to get to Canada or perhaps up to 2.5k to add initial AirBnB until he can secure a rental. Basic furniture like a bed and desk, some warm clothing and boots, food, basic kitchen stuff if needed, etc. Rent would be on how much he sharing 400-1K/month. Phone plan and internet 75-100$ minimum if he is sharing with multiple ppl and bringing his own phone. All these things add up. 16k/ year is very tough to live on as a PhD student plus you are starting from scratch, have to include transportation to Canada, etc. With savings he has 18k/yr maximum and he’ll have no money at the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay Dave and kwaame

kwaame

Star Member
Jul 11, 2021
Tuition is around 9k so he has 16k/yr plus extra 10k (to use over 5+ years). 2k to get to Canada and perhaps up to 2.5k for initial AirBnB until he can secure a rental. Basic furniture like a bed and desk, some warm clothing and boots, food, basic kitchen stuff if needed, etc. Rent would be on how much he sharing 400-1K/month. Phone plan and internet 75-100$ minimum if he is sharing with multiple ppl and bringing his own phone. All these things add up. 16k/ year is very tough to live on as a PhD student plus you are starting from scratch, have to include transportation to Canada, etc. With savings he has 18k/yr maximum and he’ll have no money at the end.
So the fellowship of 25$k , is not renewable every year (maybe up to 4 years)? . I taught the fellowship is renewable every year .

kwaame

Star Member
Jul 11, 2021
Tuition is around 9k so he has 16k/yr plus extra 10k (to use over 5+ years). 2k to get to Canada and perhaps up to 2.5k for initial AirBnB until he can secure a rental. Basic furniture like a bed and desk, some warm clothing and boots, food, basic kitchen stuff if needed, etc. Rent would be on how much he sharing 400-1K/month. Phone plan and internet 75-100$ minimum if he is sharing with multiple ppl and bringing his own phone. All these things add up. 16k/ year is very tough to live on as a PhD student plus you are starting from scratch, have to include transportation to Canada, etc. With savings he has 18k/yr maximum and he’ll have no money at the end.
You have made a realistic point here .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So the fellowship of 25$k , is not renewable every year (maybe up to 4 years)? . I taught the fellowship is renewable every year .
I have calculated with 25k/yr minus around 9k in tuition a year. He has around 16k to live on per year plus 10k to last 5+ years.

Reactions: kwaame