+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student Visa Rejection (PhD student Application)

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
Tuition is around 9k so he has 16k/yr plus extra 10k (to use over 5+ years). 2k to get to Canada or perhaps up to 2.5k to add initial AirBnB until he can secure a rental. Basic furniture like a bed and desk, some warm clothing and boots, food, basic kitchen stuff if needed, etc. Rent would be on how much he sharing 400-1K/month. Phone plan and internet 75-100$ minimum if he is sharing with multiple ppl and bringing his own phone. All these things add up. 16k/ year is very tough to live on as a PhD student plus you are starting from scratch, have to include transportation to Canada, etc. With savings he has 18k/yr maximum and he’ll have no money at the end.
There are hundreds of PhD students who are currently enrolled and living with this 25k/yr. Its only a matter of just how VO accessed his application. VO could ask for proof of fund as additiinal document than rejecting it.

Funds for PhD researches are usually provided by several third parties stakeholders and a part of funding through govt/universities/professors. Its an employment and final candidate is selected after going through different stages including test/interviews/presentations/seminars.

Infact his professor is one who will get more affected with this rejection. They send several emails to their students to know the status of their study permit through this process.

It is likely that professor's other students with same funding conditions but accessed by other VOs have got their study permits approved.

Anyways good luck for the new application

Last edited:

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021
How did you provide proof of your finances? Do you have the fellowship funds in your bank account?

A PhD fellowship should have a contract signed by both you and the school. Did you attach that contract to your application?

And how did you show your personal funding?

Did you provide a verifiable bank statement? If the VO cannot verify the funding you claimed you have, then it is likely it would be denied as such

Reactions: Jay Dave

Jay Dave

Aug 3, 2021
How did you provide proof of your finances? Do you have the fellowship funds in your bank account?

A PhD fellowship should have a contract signed by both you and the school. Did you attach that contract to your application?

And how did you show your personal funding?

Did you provide a verifiable bank statement? If the VO cannot verify the funding you claimed you have, then it is likely it would be denied as such
I had attached a letter of funding with my application. Also provided a verifiable bank statement.

Jay Dave

Aug 3, 2021
Your budget is extremely tight. Living on 17k a year is a very tight a budget and 13k is just unrealistic. Just your basic living expenses with rent, Internet, phone,
cheap student food like ramen noodles all prepared at home and potentially utilities will likely be over 1K/month if you live in shared accommodations. Realistically once you include some flights, transportation in SK, some meals out, some clothing, some fruits and veggies, basic stuff that you need to live, basic furniture, etc., you don’t have enough funds.
The living expenses are mentioned in the offer letter and I worte the same in sop.

Jay Dave

Aug 3, 2021
So the fellowship of 25$k is not renewable every year (maybe up to 4 years)? . I taught the fellowship is renewable every year.
The details of my program are as follows:
Program / Field of Study: Ph.D./ Chemistry
Program Structure: with Thesis
College / Department: College of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies/ Department of Chemistry
Start Date: September 1, 2021
Expected Program Duration: Maximum of 6 years; guaranteed financial support for 56 months, contingent on satisfactory performance in graduate program as determined by the Graduate Advisory Committee
Tuition / Student Fees: Currently approx. $6731 per annum

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021
The details of my program are as follows:
Program / Field of Study: Ph.D./ Chemistry
Program Structure: with Thesis
College / Department: College of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies/ Department of Chemistry
Start Date: September 1, 2021
Expected Program Duration: Maximum of 6 years; guaranteed financial support for 56 months, contingent on satisfactory performance in graduate program as determined by the Graduate Advisory Committee
Tuition / Student Fees: Currently approx. $6731 per annum
So your funding is not guaranteed, and only contingent on performance, why did you state it was guaranteed? And did you submit the contract signed by your school that said it was guaranteed?

Reactions: Jay Dave

Jay Dave

Aug 3, 2021
There are hundreds of PhD students who are currently enrolled and living with this 25k/yr. Its only a matter of just how VO accessed his application. VO could ask for proof of fund as additiinal document than rejecting it.

Funds for PhD researches are usually provided by several third parties stakeholders and a part of funding through govt/universities/professors. Its an employment and final candidate is selected after going through different stages including test/interviews/presentations/seminars.

Infact his professor is one who will get more affected with this rejection. They send several emails to their students to know the status of their study permit through this process.

It is likely that professor's other students with same funding conditions but accessed by other VOs have got their study permits approved.

Anyways good luck for the new application
My guide seems taken aback

Jay Dave

Aug 3, 2021
So your funding is not guaranteed, and only contingent on performance; why did you state it was guaranteed? And did you submit the contract signed by your school that said it was guaranteed?
All PhD and MS students get fellowship letter with conditions. I have contacted and asked many students regarding the same. I have attached a fellowship letter with a bank balance of 10k cad, whilst others just attached a fellowship letter.

Reactions: kwaame

adhik

Jun 1, 2021
Sadly it seems that the officer reviewrd the fact that if for some reason you lose the fellowship you wont have enough funds. I came to usask too, with 20k funding back in the day -- and still showed an extra 25k in my (parents) bank account to be safe
Did you also pay tuition fee or not? I'm also going to usask with 19K/year funding and I've shown 48K in my parents banks account, but I have not paid the fee. My fee is 7.5K per term. Do you think this fund is enough?

Reactions: kwaame

ayesha_llk2

Aug 11, 2020
I have a feeling the VO did not notice your scholarship amount. Did you mention this elsewhere? like in form where they ask how you will fund your stay, or in ur sop etc ?
Apart from the (moronic) opinion here that these arent enough funds, these totally are. Usually being an RA/TA gets you partial/full tution off. Even if not you have around 1300-1400 per month after paying fees which is not impossible to live in. Not to mention you also provided around 10k.

Reactions: parisi and Jay Dave

ayesha_llk2

Aug 11, 2020
So your funding is not guaranteed, and only contingent on performance, why did you state it was guaranteed? And did you submit the contract signed by your school that said it was guaranteed?
LOL no funding is "guaranteed" if for example you keep failing your courses, or disappear for months at a time, or are simply not bothering to do anything. the university has the right then to cut your funding and then make you withdraw later. I dont think you are aware of how funding in PhD/MS thesis programs work

Jay Dave

Aug 3, 2021
I have a feeling the VO did not notice your scholarship amount. Did you mention this elsewhere? like in form where they ask how you will fund your stay, or in ur sop etc ?
Apart from the (moronic) opinion here that these arent enough funds, these totally are. Usually being an RA/TA gets you partial/full tution off. Even if not you have around 1300-1400 per month after paying fees which is not impossible to live in. Not to mention you also provided around 10k.
Yes I attached fellowship letter with bank balance of 10k and mentioned in sop also

ayesha_llk2

Aug 11, 2020
Yes I attached fellowship letter with bank balance of 10k and mentioned in sop also
It makes no sense to have your permit refused on financial grounds. Definitely order gcms notes and see whats happening. For comparison my university also gave me 25k per year funding, with around 6k per year tution. I provided 10k funds apart from this and was approved.
not to mention Sasketchwan is cheap to live in, while I am going to British Columbia Vancouver area which is not cheap