+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student Visa Rejection (PhD student Application)

Jay Dave

Aug 3, 2021
Dear All,
I'm Jay from India. I got a visa rejection due to the below-mentioned reasons.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in
subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
• Pursuant to paragraph 220(a) of the IRPA, I am not satisfied that you have sufficient and
available financial resources, without working in Canada, to pay the tuition fees for the course or
program of studies that you intend to pursue.

Visa Timeline
Medical 22 April 21
File 15 May 21
Biometric 28 June 21
BVL received, 30/7/21
IELTS overall 6.5 each >6
Medical not update yet
Non-Sds category due to funding from the university, GIC & tuition did not pay
Course PhD in chemistry, Uni of Saskatchewan 25k/yr fellowship
Tuition fee 9k/yr
10k cad bank balance showed.
Everything is mentioned in sop completely.

I need your guidance and Insightful comments

Last edited:

ethan123

Star Member
Apr 28, 2021
Dear All,
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in
• Pursuant to paragraph 220(a) of the IRPA, I am not satisfied that you have sufficient and
available financial resources, without working in Canada, to pay the tuition fees for the course or

Visa Timeline
Medical 22 April 21
File 15 May 21
Biometric 28 June 21
BVL received, 30/7/21
Medical not update yet

How much is your tuition? What are your previous studies?

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Dear All,

Visa Timeline
Medical 22 April 21
File 15 May 21
Biometric 28 June 21
BVL received, 30/7/21
Medical not update yet

Clearly a funds issue.

Reactions: Jay Dave

parisi

Aug 3, 2021
How much do you have to pay for your tuition?
If below 10 000, it seems like you have enough found. especially if you have a scholarship of 25 000 per year.
I don't get it

kwaame

Star Member
Jul 11, 2021
Dear All,

Visa Timeline
Medical 22 April 21
File 15 May 21
Biometric 28 June 21
BVL received, 30/7/21
Medical not update yet

What was your previous studies /degrees? . How many publications did you showed ?

parisi

Aug 3, 2021
What was your previous studies /degrees? . How many publications did you showed ?
Why is it important? The officer's job is not to assess whether the applicant deserves to be admitted to a PhD program. let alone that publications are not always required in order to do a phd.
May be there is something we don't know about the funding conditions but as long as he/she gets 25 000$/per year then she/he should be fine regarding the financial part of the application.

amairena95

Apr 19, 2017
Dear All,

Visa Timeline
Medical 22 April 21
File 15 May 21
Biometric 28 June 21
BVL received, 30/7/21
Medical not update yet

Sadly it seems that the officer reviewrd the fact that if for some reason you lose the fellowship you wont have enough funds. I came to usask too, with 20k funding back in the day -- and still showed an extra 25k in my (parents) bank account to be safe

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Why is it important? The officer's job is not to assess whether the applicant deserves to be admitted to a PhD program. let alone that publications are not always required in order to do a phd.
May be there is something we don't know about the funding conditions but as long as he/she gets 25 000$/per year then she/he should be fine regarding the financial part of the application.
Unless you are certain about officers job/duties but assessing applicant entry to certain level is within their duties. May be Poster meant to question relevancy of program by asking about past degree. Fyi, why VO officers refuse application based on past academic records, mark sheet? why they care provided you have LOA from DLI?.

In my opinion, I guess its funding requirement, if applicant will be self sufficient to continue with studies if he lose fellowship. TO be safe, additional proof of fund would make a difference

parisi

Aug 3, 2021
Unless you are certain about officers job/duties but assessing applicant entry to certain level is within their duties. May be Poster meant to question relevancy of program by asking about past degree. Fyi, why VO officers refuse application based on past academic records, mark sheet? why they care provided you have LOA from DLI?.

In my opinion, I guess its funding requirement, if applicant will be self sufficient to continue with studies if he lose fellowship. TO be safe, additional proof of fund would make a difference
Officers duties are basically to assess whether your plan to study in Canada is relevant based on your background and that you're not seeking permanent immigration to Canada via a student permit. I am sure you already know that :) As such, the officer is not entitled to assess whether you should get an admission to a PhD but whether pursuing a PhD is relevant for you and your intentions are purely academics and not to remain in Canada for the long haul. That's why I don't get the question regarding the applicant's publications. It's about the relevance of admission to the doctorate, which is the university' s responsibility.

In this case, a PhD is the highest degree so this is not a downgrade. It is in Chemistry which is valuable for the job market, and more importantly it seems to be funded which is not always the case in Canada. If the applicant already holds a PhD, then yes it might be an issue from the officer's perspective.

I was just a bit upset by the refusal based on the lack of funding. I am a Phd student and all foreigners in my cohort (me included) use their fellowship as a proof of sufficient fund.

I agree with you that more proof should be provided. Perhaps (if it was not previously done) the applicant should add a letter from the university stating that the scholarship is paid annually and it allows the student to pay for tuition, health insurance and personal needs.

Sorry if I was too intense in my comments.

Reactions: kwaame and Jay Dave

Jay Dave

Aug 3, 2021
Did you indicate in your application that the tuition is 9k?
About sponsorship and Financial Arrangements:
Estimated tuition fees and living expenses, as per the information provided in my Letter of Acceptance, for 1st -year full-time on-campus student are as below:
Tuition: CAD $6,731
Student Fees: CAD $1,054
Living Expenses: CAD $13,410 - $ 17,260
In total, the expenses will be CAD $23,000 approximately. To cover these expenses, I already have my own savings of around INR 7,00,000 (CAD 11,500 approximately). Moreover, I am entitled to receive total financial support per annum no less than 25,750.00 CAD from the University of Saskatchewan. This is a maximum 6 years of the program, where financial support for 56 months is guaranteed.