VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Hi @kalpan,

I would just add a few things to what GreenHak explained. You are confusing your way around mainly because you are switching principal applicant in your entire process several times.

Like already explained, your spouse needs to have a skilled job + PGWP - for you to be eligible for dependent SOWP. Obviously this doesn't apply if you are getting a closed work permit on your own.

The 4 year (or 2 year maximum) does not apply to SOWP. It will be issued as long as the principal applicant's study or work permit is valid for. The maximum also doesn't apply if you have a skilled job in either NOC 0 or A. I have had multiple closed LMIA based work permits exceeding 6 year period combined, because I am NOC A.

So answer to your last few questions

1) You cannot apply together for extension, if you expect to get SOWP based upon your wife's PGWP. She needs to have a PGWP + skilled job offer. However, if she already has a skilled job offer, you both could submit applications together (her PGWP + your SOWP) attaching HER skilled job offer.

2) What does it has to do with YOUR working proof? You are trying to use her PGWP to get you a dependent SOWP - right? It is the principal applicant whose skilled job matters. In this case you are saying it would be your spouse. So you work or not, is irrelevant.

3) If you are eligible otherwise (she has a skilled job), you would get SOWP for the same length as her PGWP. This is not dependent upon any prior work / study permit time frames.

Amid all of that, do know that CIC recently announced cutting max duration for one LMIA based work permit to ONE year. It is being advocated against strongly by Canadian employers, but it cant be said what are the consequences. Note that this is not maximum period in this case i.e. one can keep applying for new permits each year and get those renewed (NOC 0 or A exempted from 4 year max). But this would mean CIC won't issue a single work permit with validity longer than a year for a closed work permit.

kht

Feb 15, 2016
Thanks for your sincere suggestion. I am studying Masters in Electrical Engineering from university. currently I am on a coop term for 8 months and my study and work permit is valid till Sept 2019. I am applying for my spouse Open work permit through my CIC account online. Is there any problem If I am applying through my account?. I am filling Schedule 1 form the principal applicant is me or my spouse.

Thanks Bro

fkl said:
Hi kht,

Assuming you are in a good full time study program preferably at a university you can apply either SOWP or Resident TRV.

Resident TRV is not the same as visitor TRV. In visit, an applicant shows an intent to reside here for a short trip, can at max be 6 months, processing time is shorter, no medicals required and is not eligible for healthcare in Canada. Also cannot stay beyond 6 months in one trip.

Generally spouse of a student or worker is not visiting and hence refusal is quite common. A spouse intends to live with their husband for as long as they are here.

So its better to apply either of first two (SOWP or Resident TRV) and processing time is same as well as both require medicals.
Since you are already intending to come and live here, getting authorization to work for any one is some thing you should already apply for in the first place. Hence SOWP. The application would be the same as a regular work permit. Just that type you chose would be "Open work permit" and in employer details you write "Not Applicable - Spouse OWP".

You have to provide proof of eligibility which includes you the main spouse's study permit, some recent things showing you are actually currently studying satisfactorily (letter from university or recent academic output would help), proof of funds for spouse for a year as well enough proof of relationship.

belde

Dec 11, 2015
Hi fkl
My sowp got rejected and i wanted to know is it mandate that my husband has to be on pgwp? Hes on open wp hes not on pgwp is that the reason for rejection? Should i again reapply for sowp or trv what would be the best option? Please reply asap need your suggestion.

Gaman

Sep 23, 2014
belde said:
Hi fkl
My sowp got rejected and i wanted to know is it mandate that my husband has to be on pgwp? Hes on open wp hes not on pgwp is that the reason for rejection? Should i again reapply for sowp or trv what would be the best option? Please reply asap need your suggestion.
Hi,
When did you apply for your SOWP?

Max Biagi

Feb 7, 2015
Hi everyone, please let me know if I can apply for work permit simultaneously if my spouse applies for her student visa

GreenHak

Star Member
Dec 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
India
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-02-2016 - Paper Application
Doc's Request.
Not Requested
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
01-03-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Submitted with Application
VISA ISSUED...
04-05-2016
Max Biagi said:
Hi everyone, please let me know if I can apply for work permit simultaneously if my spouse applies for her student visa
Yes you can apply together with your wife.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
belde said:
Hi fkl
Hi belde,

Sorry to hear about your refusal. No, it is not mandatory to have a PGWP. Mandatory aspect is having a skilled job unless your husband already has a PR first stage approval or provincial nomination.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
kht said:
Thanks for your sincere suggestion. I am studying Masters in Electrical Engineering from university. currently I am on a coop term for 8 months and my study and work permit is valid till Sept 2019. I am applying for my spouse Open work permit through my CIC account online. Is there any problem If I am applying through my account?. I am filling Schedule 1 form the principal applicant is me or my spouse.

Thanks Bro
You are welcome. As far as I know, you cannot submit an application for a dependent from your profile unless you are applying yourself and add a dependent. Since you already have a study permit, your spouse would have to apply separately. So principal applicant is your spouse (the reason is that you are not an applicant). However, it needs to be clarified that this is still a spouse dependent work permit application.

Also - don't try to use your coop work permit as a basis. Your primary status in Canada is student and the basis of your SOWP is your study permit. Be very clear about this. The work permit you received is just complimentary to that, not the primary criteria. However, it does show your earning potential and might positively affect your ability to support your spouse. Still you need POF for her for a year's expense at least.

jijialex

Star Member
Nov 10, 2013
Hai fkl

I am pgwp holder now four month working in Canada,how many fund showing in Canadian bank for sowp and TRV for daughter ? How many month showing this amount in a bank ? Please help me

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
jijialex said:
Hai fkl

I am pgwp holder now four month working in Canada,how many fund showing in Canadian bank for sowp and TRV for daughter ? How many month showing this amount in a bank ? Please help me
If you are working on a skilled job, I don't think there is any number of months or amount requirements. Though generally funds required are expense of a year, which is like 6-7k per person in addition to the principal applicant.

Most people coming on LMIA jobs can / do put their annual salary as proof of funds (I did the same as well as every one else I know who came in this scenario). So I wonder why would it be different for a PGWP + skilled job holder.

sthomas9345

Star Member
Jun 29, 2015
Hi all,

I am applying for my Husband's OWP this week. There is a problem.

The problem was his entry being denied into the USA. He applied for a visitor's visa to the USA last year and he was approved 10 years multiple entry with his visitor's visa. But unfortunately he was denied entry in the port of entry due to his proposed length of stay and was sent back to India immediately the next day. Also, we applied for a TRV to Canada but his visa got refused. Do you think this will have any affect of his approval on his SOWP?

Thank you very much in advance,

jijialex

Star Member
Nov 10, 2013
fkl said:
If you are working on a skilled job, I don't think there is any number of months or amount requirements. Though generally funds required are expense of a year, which is like 6-7k per person in addition to the principal applicant.

Most people coming on LMIA jobs can / do put their annual salary as proof of funds (I did the same as well as every one else I know who came in this scenario). So I wonder why would it be different for a PGWP + skilled job holder.
Thanks for your reply fkl