+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

tusharn

Jul 29, 2021
Hello! I’m applying for inland spousal sponsorship visa and along with that applying SOWP too. Considering inland spousal sponsorship visa can take around 12 months, does SOWP come sooner? How soon can we get SOWP for her?

OkaforJames

Star Member
Dec 12, 2018
Hello! I’m applying for inland spousal sponsorship visa and along with that applying SOWP too. Considering inland spousal sponsorship visa can take around 12 months, does SOWP come sooner? How soon can we get SOWP for her?
For most cases i have seen recently, SOWP comes around 3-4 months after you apply. But it depends on the VO handling your case though.

Reactions: akriti91

razor787

Star Member
Jan 8, 2017
I applied in June, to have my wife come to Canada. She is a Russian citizen, and I am Canadian. I have been living with her in Russia since 2016.

I got a letter toady, saying that I need to show more proof that I will move to Canada. I have no idea what else I can show to prove this.

I have a letter from my parents, acknowledging this move.
I have screenshots with conversations with my parents and sisters, talking about moving to Canada
My Russian temporart residency ends in July 2022, and we applied in June 2021, so I explained that we are applying in correspondence with the ending of my residency.

I am not sure what else I can do to prove that I will move back to Canada. The only other things I can think of that I can show, are...

I have closed my Russian business
I have some messages with apartment landlords in Canada, talking about the possibility of renting for me and my wife.
More conversations with my parents talking about moving back to Canada.

What else can I use to show them? And if my further proof is again judged to be insufficient, will that mean a full refusal, or will I be given a chance to move back to Canada, and keep the application open?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I applied in June, to have my wife come to Canada. She is a Russian citizen, and I am Canadian. I have been living with her in Russia since 2016.

I got a letter toady, saying that I need to show more proof that I will move to Canada. I have no idea what else I can show to prove this.

I have a letter from my parents, acknowledging this move.
I have screenshots with conversations with my parents and sisters, talking about moving to Canada
My Russian temporart residency ends in July 2022, and we applied in June 2021, so I explained that we are applying in correspondence with the ending of my residency.

I am not sure what else I can do to prove that I will move back to Canada. The only other things I can think of that I can show, are...

I have closed my Russian business
I have some messages with apartment landlords in Canada, talking about the possibility of renting for me and my wife.
More conversations with my parents talking about moving back to Canada.

What else can I use to show them? And if my further proof is again judged to be insufficient, will that mean a full refusal, or will I be given a chance to move back to Canada, and keep the application open?
What you've provided so far is somewhat thin.

The two main ones which you do not seem to have done at all; where will you love and what will you do. This means evidence of arrangements of places to live (searches, contracts, discussions, whatever you can) and evidence of employment arrangements (job searches, job applications, etc).

After that is probably administrative- evidence of plans to move and day to day stuff such as finances. Moving quotes, bank accounts, any other arrangements (éducation, language training, even memberships). Travel to make arrangements would help too.

You can provide some of the things you did before esp if they show you've continued to prepare since the first application.

Note - i do not know how serious this is. You should take it seriously and provide more. But lately they seem to be asking for this additional info routinely, IE for all apps where appnsor is abroad.

Does the letter use the term procedural fairness and cite the immigration act section?

Last edited:

akriti91

Star Member
Dec 5, 2020
For most cases i have seen recently, SOWP comes around 3-4 months after you apply. But it depends on the VO handling your case though.
Thanks for your reply.
How is the VO decided? For example I have family that lives in Vancouver, Saskatoon & my apt in Toronto, giving which address will put application to which VO? And which VO is faster?

razor787

Star Member
Jan 8, 2017
We're to live - in a letter from my parents, they offer the ability to live when we land. I also discussed the rental prices and examples of places where we can live.

I've done some searches, and messaged landlords about the possibility of us moving to their building, when neither of us will jobs jobs immediately. The emails between us aren't long, just a query and a response. Would this be good enough proof?

Evidence of employment - I can't find a job until I know when I will come back. I can look into getting a letter from a friend offering me employment in his company. It seems strange I'd need to show proof of employment, when I can't realistically obtain employment yet.

I'm on mobile, so I will provide more details later, on what else I can show.

It doesn't say anything about procedural fairness. It does however mention several sections and sub sections. I believe the main one is section 130, sub sections 133(1) and 130(2)

It also mentions section 120, and subsection 12(1)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
We're to live - in a letter from my parents, they offer the ability to live when we land. I also discussed the rental prices and examples of places where we can live.

I've done some searches, and messaged landlords about the possibility of us moving to their building, when neither of us will jobs jobs immediately. The emails between us aren't long, just a query and a response. Would this be good enough proof?

Evidence of employment - I can't find a job until I know when I will come back. I can look into getting a letter from a friend offering me employment in his company. It seems strange I'd need to show proof of employment, when I can't realistically obtain employment yet.
My impression is that these requests for more info showing intent to return to Canada are now standard, but I do not know and you should still take it seriously.

At this point obviously you mostly cannot prove you will return to Canada. You should try to show as much evidence of intent including job searches and if possible applications. A job offer would be good but again - evidence of employment plans and preparations. (You might also think about things showing plans and preps for what your spouse will do). I would not get a fake letter from a friend but if it's somewhat serious sure. Register with job banks, speak to headhunters, whatever.

For places to live - a letter from parents is nice but make it stronger with something closer to a contract or an agreement. Not saying you have to use the Ontario standard rent form but you can have something more detailed: these are the living places (rooms) you will use; privileges and/or restrictions and responsibilities; and compensation (sharing expenses or some fixed amount or something). This may sound odd to you but it is more credible than just "Oh billy it'd be so nice to have you, the couch does fold out."

In short for all of your stuff: evidence of plans and preparations. (Letters from friends/family don't hurt but will have less credibility).

When you say you had previous correspondence - supplement that with new stuff and more detail than you had before.

I forget what you said your preps were for departing (eg employment/your business) - repeat and supplement with preps to close the business. Do of course explain (again) the circumstnaces.

Beyond that don't need a ton of detail- it's up to you.

From some reported experiences here: refusals are infrequent but they do happen. A refusal does mean starting over from scratch (and if refused on that basis it probably means moving to start over and having the 'intent to return' question removed).

razor787

Star Member
Jan 8, 2017
My impression is that these requests for more info showing intent to return to Canada are now standard, but I do not know and you should still take it seriously.

At this point obviously you mostly cannot prove you will return to Canada. You should try to show as much evidence of intent including job searches and if possible applications. A job offer would be good but again - evidence of employment plans and preparations. (You might also think about things showing plans and preps for what your spouse will do). I would not get a fake letter from a friend but if it's somewhat serious sure. Register with job banks, speak to headhunters, whatever.

For places to live - a letter from parents is nice but make it stronger with something closer to a contract or an agreement. Not saying you have to use the Ontario standard rent form but you can have something more detailed: these are the living places (rooms) you will use; privileges and/or restrictions and responsibilities; and compensation (sharing expenses or some fixed amount or something). This may sound odd to you but it is more credible than just "Oh billy it'd be so nice to have you, the couch does fold out."

In short for all of your stuff: evidence of plans and preparations. (Letters from friends/family don't hurt but will have less credibility).

When you say you had previous correspondence - supplement that with new stuff and more detail than you had before.

I forget what you said your preps were for departing (eg employment/your business) - repeat and supplement with preps to close the business. Do of course explain (again) the circumstnaces.

Beyond that don't need a ton of detail- it's up to you.

From some reported experiences here: refusals are infrequent but they do happen. A refusal does mean starting over from scratch (and if refused on that basis it probably means moving to start over and having the 'intent to return' question removed).
If we are refused on this reason, what happens exactly. Can I move back to Canada and immediately reapply, without worry that it will be another year?

Part of me is wondering if I should just move back to Canada now, and know that my wife will join me in June (12 months from applying) rather than giving more evidence, and risk being rejected.

6 months will be bad enough. I don't want to have to go back and wait another full year

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If we are refused on this reason, what happens exactly. Can I move back to Canada and immediately reapply, without worry that it will be another year?
You can apply again immediately from within Canada. It could be quicker but no-one can promise you anything.

Part of me is wondering if I should just move back to Canada now, and know that my wife will join me in June (12 months from applying) rather than giving more evidence, and risk being rejected.
That obviously would be one way of doing it - only you can decide whether that's preferable in your circumstances.

Didn't mention above, while having plane tickets alone is not much proof (IRCC is aware that tickets can be cancelled or changed), it is something; more credible if it's short-dated and non-refundable, for example. I wouldn't bother with a plane ticket reservation for July but up to you.

One small note: if you do this and it's accepted, it should mean that the process is close to the end. In other words I don't know that it means her PR will be done in a month or two, but it is pretty likely it would be completed (with visa and COPR) before June, possibly quite a bit before June.

In fact whether you go to Canada now or simply respond as best you can, if the evidence you provide is accepted as sufficient, it is reasonably likely it is close to final approval. (Standard warning that this is not a guarantee, just my somewhat-informed guess - there are wildcards that are not knowable like security etc). But I believe if they are asking for the return-to-Canada evidence, the officer is serious about closing the file reasonably soon (and most of the other stuff seems in order).

razor787

Star Member
Jan 8, 2017
Does the letter use the term procedural fairness and cite the immigration act section?
Sorry, I meant to ask. My letter doesn't mention 'procedural fairness'. Is it a good sign, or bad sign that this isn't mentioned?

At the moment, this is the evidence I think I can send.

Letters from parents/sisters
Conversations with parents/sisters
Google spreadsheet (showing edit dates) of furniture we will need to buy
Google spreadsheet (showing editdates) of items we must sell before moving
Short correspondence with various Toronto area building management companies, inquiring about renting.
Closure of my Russian business (we closed the business in my name, and opened one in my wifes name, to make sure I won't have tax troubles preventing me from leaving)
Short-term rental agreement with my parents.

I could also start to apply for some jobs, but I am not sure how likely it is that I would get offers. I won't be able to attend an interview, nor give them an accurate start date. I don't believe a company would be too interested in giving an offer to someone, not know if/when they will actually start.

By sending this in, how likely do you think it will be accepted as proof?
Also, the document showing the closure of my business is in Russian, so obviously it needs to be translated. But since the documents need to be submitted electronically, do we need to get it notarized?

GautamSeth

Oct 27, 2021
Hi,

I am currently residing Canada on a Visitor Visa and my Wife is a PR.
I am applying for my spousal sponsorship and have a question regarding IMM5533-Checklist.

In Q 7(a) - Are you and your spouse currently living together?

There is an option for Joint credit card account or joint bank account.
Can I submit a supplementary credit card to my wife's credit card or is it different from a join credit card account?
and also if anyone has any idea about how we can open a joint bank account it would greatly help.

Since I am currently on a visitor visa, I am unable to complete this question to submit any address proof and my application is being delayed. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

Luxp

Star Member
Oct 3, 2017
Hi All,

I’d really appreciate some insight/advice here. I intend to apply for online spouse PR for my wife in just a few days and I have the following questions:

• Is it alright to apply for a spouse PR after an application for visitor visa is already in progress (decision pending)? I am assuming the visitor visa may be rejected, as is the norm
  • What if after submission of the outland spouse visa, the visitor visa gets approved? Though my spouse will be able to come to Canada, will she have to return to India in order to submit the medicals or any other formalities? Her biometrics is done already
Thanks so much for your support and guidance!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Sorry, I meant to ask. My letter doesn't mention 'procedural fairness'. Is it a good sign, or bad sign that this isn't mentioned?

At the moment, this is the evidence I think I can send.

Letters from parents/sisters
Conversations with parents/sisters
Google spreadsheet (showing edit dates) of furniture we will need to buy
Google spreadsheet (showing editdates) of items we must sell before moving
Short correspondence with various Toronto area building management companies, inquiring about renting.
Closure of my Russian business (we closed the business in my name, and opened one in my wifes name, to make sure I won't have tax troubles preventing me from leaving)
Short-term rental agreement with my parents.

I could also start to apply for some jobs, but I am not sure how likely it is that I would get offers. I won't be able to attend an interview, nor give them an accurate start date. I don't believe a company would be too interested in giving an offer to someone, not know if/when they will actually start.

By sending this in, how likely do you think it will be accepted as proof?
Also, the document showing the closure of my business is in Russian, so obviously it needs to be translated. But since the documents need to be submitted electronically, do we need to get it notarized?
In no particular order (and not complete, you'll have to decide some stuff on your own):
-only 'official' docs that are critical to your app need to be notarized - so tranlsation should be enough.
-applying to jobs even if not interviewed and just submitted is fine.
-docs that are just "I made this list" or "I got my brother to say he likes me" are the weakest. You could get quotes from movers, etc.
-apartments: don't know about your correspondence, but something that gets more specific about area, cost, and type of place are helpful (maybe your current stuff has this) - an agreement with a broker might be an example.

Again, can't say how all of this holds together nor chances.

Procedural fairness: haven't seen the letter or specific language - and not sure procedural fairness must use those terms. But best guess is it's neutral (good would be not getting one at all).

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
  • What if after submission of the outland spouse visa, the visitor visa gets approved? Though my spouse will be able to come to Canada, will she have to return to India in order to submit the medicals or any other formalities? Her biometrics is done already
Medical and biometrics can be done anywhere in the world if there are facilities. In theory, spouse could be required to return to do interview, but they have not been doing physical interviews (mostly) since start of covid.

Reactions: Luxp