+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Pure_Lemon

Nov 19, 2020
Hello all,

I am a Canadian citizen living in Ontario and have a partner who is an Irish citizen here on a working holiday visa. His visa is to expire in April of 2021 and we just found out that he does not have enough points to be eligible to apply and be accepted for express entry on his own. Our only other options left are marriage or common law in Ireland. We have both decided against getting married at this time but would like to pursue me moving to Ireland on a 2 year working holiday visa (Same as his) and live together for 12 months to qualify as common law so that I can sponsor him. We will be renting a place together once I arrive. One big question I have is that during the 12 months, are we allowed to travel outside of the country together to e.g. Go see family for a week during Christmas in Canada or see another country in Europe for a week or two? I don't want the common law status to be reset if we leave Ireland for a bit. We will also be able to prove we are staying together in hotels air bnb's or family homes if we go on a vacation.

Thank you!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello all,

I am a Canadian citizen living in Ontario and have a partner who is an Irish citizen here on a working holiday visa. His visa is to expire in April of 2021 and we just found out that he does not have enough points to be eligible to apply and be accepted for express entry on his own. Our only other options left are marriage or common law in Ireland. We have both decided against getting married at this time but would like to pursue me moving to Ireland on a 2 year working holiday visa (Same as his) and live together for 12 months to qualify as common law so that I can sponsor him. We will be renting a place together once I arrive. One big question I have is that during the 12 months, are we allowed to travel outside of the country together to e.g. Go see family for a week during Christmas in Canada or see another country in Europe for a week or two? I don't want the common law status to be reset if we leave Ireland for a bit. We will also be able to prove we are staying together in hotels air bnb's or family homes if we go on a vacation.

Thank you!
Trips of a week or two, particularly if together, are not at all an issue. (If not together or much longer can be fine but documentation a bit more of an issue, you really don't want to have to document hotels night by night).

Have you been living together in Canada? Even for part of the time? Helps credibility if relationship is longer than just the 12 months. (And while the 12 months to meet common law must be continuous - ignoring short trips and the like - it still helps show it's a real relationship if living together for periods before). Even living together from now until when his visa expires will help.

12 months is the minimum, be very careful about precise start dates and documentation (technicalities can trip people up for this), better if longer.

Pure_Lemon

Nov 19, 2020
Trips of a week or two, particularly if together, are not at all an issue. (If not together or much longer can be fine but documentation a bit more of an issue, you really don't want to have to document hotels night by night).

Have you been living together in Canada? Even for part of the time? Helps credibility if relationship is longer than just the 12 months. (And while the 12 months to meet common law must be continuous - ignoring short trips and the like - it still helps show it's a real relationship if living together for periods before). Even living together from now until when his visa expires will help.

12 months is the minimum, be very careful about precise start dates and documentation (technicalities can trip people up for this), better if longer.
Thank you for your reply! Unfortunately, we have not lived together in Canada at all. We have only been dating since July of this year long distance and he was out of the country until September. Although we have been good friends since 2019, We weren't sure of the relationship as of yet so it wasn't an option to live together right away. I am also still a university student who will graduate in June of 2021 and makes barely any money so it just wasn't something we considered possible. I will probably end up staying longer after the 12 months as well to apply for things etc.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for your reply! Unfortunately, we have not lived together in Canada at all. We have only been dating since July of this year long distance and he was out of the country until September. Although we have been good friends since 2019, We weren't sure of the relationship as of yet so it wasn't an option to live together right away. I am also still a university student who will graduate in June of 2021 and makes barely any money so it just wasn't something we considered possible. I will probably end up staying longer after the 12 months as well to apply for things etc.
Just keep in mind the 12 months is really a minimum. Good luck.

Nepalibuoy

Nov 20, 2020
Hello, I have few questions if someone can help me out please. I just came back from Nepal after getting married on Nov, 2020. Because of Covid; we only did court wedding and a small traditional wedding with 8-10 family member and no reception or honeymoon.

1. Will Covid be a good enough reason to not have a grand traditional wedding, reception or honeymoon?
2. Is marriage certificate good enough or do we need to also show local marriage registration on my municipality?
3. Out of the 20 pictures we need to show as evidence; do you guys have any recommendation on the breakdown for how many pre wedding photos, wedding photos, post wedding photos, etc would be best?

dcowboys

Star Member
Apr 17, 2019
When you say 'they did give her trouble', are you referring to MOFA in Riyadh?
Mine was the local office in Medina, they just gave her trouble cause it was a print out but like I said if she a Citizen should not be an issue. They treat locals different then people on Iqama.

LongBill

Star Member
Aug 3, 2020
Florida, USA
Category........
FAM
Hello, I have few questions if someone can help me out please. I just came back from Nepal after getting married on Nov, 2020. Because of Covid; we only did court wedding and a small traditional wedding with 8-10 family member and no reception or honeymoon.

1. Will Covid be a good enough reason to not have a grand traditional wedding, reception or honeymoon?
2. Is marriage certificate good enough or do we need to also show local marriage registration on my municipality?
3. Out of the 20 pictures we need to show as evidence; do you guys have any recommendation on the breakdown for how many pre wedding photos, wedding photos, post wedding photos, etc would be best?

1 - I don't think that anyone needs to justify the type of wedding, etc, that they had, grand or not. Not everyone can even afford a grand marriage and they don't need to justify that.

2 - The legal marriage certificate from the legal jurisdiction is both required and sufficient, whether this is called a certificate or registration may vary with local jurisdiction. But what is required is the document proving that you are legally married in that jurisdiction. Some jurisdictions provide a "license" to be married, but this is not acceptable as it is issued before the marriage and is not proof that marriage was actually performed.

3 - Personally, I would select the 20 pictures showing both of you at different times and places, not all at the wedding. They should show the progression of your relationship and could include photos before and after your wedding. They could include candid photos with family and friends. In my case, with 20 years of marriage, I included roughly one photo per year. ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: cj7 and Sonali1990

Nepalibuoy

Nov 20, 2020
1 - I don't think that anyone needs to justify the type of wedding, etc, that they had, grand or not. Not everyone can even afford a grand marriage and they don't need to justify that.

2 - The legal marriage certificate from the legal jurisdiction both required and sufficient, whether this is called a certificate or registration may vary with local jurisdiction. But what is required is the document proving that you are legally married in that jurisdiction. Some jurisdictions provide a "license" to be married, but this is not acceptable as it is issued before the marriage and is not proof that marriage was actually performed.

3 - Personally, I would select the 20 pictures showing both of you at different times and places, not all at the wedding. They should show the progression of your relationship and could include photos before and after your wedding. They could include candid photos with family and friends. In my case, with 20 years of marriage, I included roughly one photo per year. ;-)
Thank you Sir!. I appreciate you detail and valuable input!!!

Nov 20, 2020
Hi Everyone,

Just looking to get your expertise. I am a Citizen in Ontario, Canada and I got married in January 2020 in India, where my wife currently is. Sent in my application through a lawyer in May 2020. Since we had no updates, lawyer called IRCC this Monday and said they received the file. We don't really have any e-mail confirmation of this, nor a file number, just a phone verification that the file was received.

My relative applied in August 2020 and they got medical this week.

Is there anything wrong with my application or something? Many of the people I know got their medical, even if they applied after I did. Is there anything that I can do except for just waiting?

Thank you.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi Everyone,

Just looking to get your expertise. I am a Citizen in Ontario, Canada and I got married in January 2020 in India, where my wife currently is. Sent in my application through a lawyer in May 2020. Since we had no updates, lawyer called IRCC this Monday and said they received the file. We don't really have any e-mail confirmation of this, nor a file number, just a phone verification that the file was received.

My relative applied in August 2020 and they got medical this week.

Is there anything wrong with my application or something? Many of the people I know got their medical, even if they applied after I did. Is there anything that I can do except for just waiting?

Thank you.
Probably nothing wrong, apps don't always seem to be processed in order for one reason or another. Wait a bit longer and if no correspondence from them you can call them on contact your MP to try and get an update.

Nov 3, 2020
Hello can anyone help me ,i just wanna ask about my application i just found out that i need to upload the documents but its says over due and its show's need my action is it bad or is it possible to be refuse? But this document they requested i already sent a hard copies to their office and just last night i uploaded this document on gckey and its show's now uploaded

cj7

Star Member
Dec 8, 2014
TORONTO
Doesn't matter in the sense that won't harm future application. Demonstrating spouse will return under TRV is the primary criteria anyway.

So you can apply now and then apply after AOR1 received as well.
For the invitation letter, i am including everything i can. i also travelled in India in November 2020 to see my family and spouse should i include that as well in the letter or doesn't matter if i don't write anything about that?

Last edited:

kittenlover

Star Member
Aug 19, 2016
Hi, do signatures on the form must be in original ink or can they be signed then scan and printed?
Also, some forms do not apply to us e.g dependents, military and representative forms. Do we have to include those and write N/A or can we just not include them at all?