Spousal sponsorship

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone, please I need advice. I didn't pay biometrics fee when I sent in my inland spousal application because I thought the 10 years validity for my TRV was valid for the PR application. I didn't know PR biometrics was different, please would my application be returned because of this? Please how can I fix this so my application doesn't get returned?
It should not be returned. They should just request it later on.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Seniors,

My spouse, the PA, who is currently a student in Singapore is temporarily moving houses; for a maximum of 2 months. She will move back to her home country or come to Canada in end of June. So my question is do we still have to report the change in address even if its for 2 months?
Yes, she should still send a Webform to update the new temp address.

Reactions: kylelowry

Belarusian

Sep 3, 2019
Hi everyone, please I need advice. I didn't pay biometrics fee when I sent in my inland spousal application because I thought the 10 years validity for my TRV was valid for the PR application. I didn't know PR biometrics was different, please would my application be returned because of this? Please how can I fix this so my application doesn't get returned?
I didn`t pay too
You will receive a request for payment of biometrics, then a confirmation that they received payment and only then a request for biometrics

cera

Mar 15, 2019
Thanks a lot guys. Please I have another question, on the checklist it says "To avoid delays in processing your application, pay your biometric fee when submitting your application fees" does failure to attach biometric payment when mailing the application really cause delay in processing time of the entire application?

DirtyMelodies

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
Thanks a lot guys. Please I have another question, on the checklist it says "To avoid delays in processing your application, pay your biometric fee when submitting your application fees" does failure to attach biometric payment when mailing the application really cause delay in processing time of the entire application?
Most likely, because they'll have to reach out to ask for payment, process it, and resume treatment of your application.

mlei9569

Star Member
Dec 11, 2019
Any Canadian citizens and PRs living abroad with their foreign spouses? Are you planning to return to or have returned to Canada? How was your experience with CBSA? How should one convince the CBSA that this travel is essential?

greenpea99

Apr 13, 2020
Hi Everyone,
I am kind of stucked about the "Proof of Satus in Canada" part of the document checklist. My wife is here as a visitor . She is a Bristish Citizen and she entered Canada on an ETA. There isn’t a visa stamp on her passport. I am wondering if it’s okay to submit the confirmation email of her ETA as a proof of Status in Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Everyone,
I am kind of stucked about the "Proof of Satus in Canada" part of the document checklist. My wife is here as a visitor . She is a Bristish Citizen and she entered Canada on an ETA. There isn’t a visa stamp on her passport. I am wondering if it’s okay to submit the confirmation email of her ETA as a proof of Status in Canada.
An eTA isn't proof of status. Submit a letter of explanation that she didn't get a stamp in her passport upon arrival and proof of her travel to Canada.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Any Canadian citizens and PRs living abroad with their foreign spouses? Are you planning to return to or have returned to Canada? How was your experience with CBSA? How should one convince the CBSA that this travel is essential?
I am in that situation now. First, the spouse would have to have a visa or eta that would allow them to enter Canada, they will only consider TRV's right now for extraordinary circumstances, so if you don't already have one I think you would be out of luck to get one. Under the current restrictions one of the reasons for immediate family members being allowed to enter is for family reunification. IMO, if the citizen or PR is returning to Cda the spouse should be allowed to accompany and enter to maintain the family unity.

I haven't heard of this being done yet, we are working on Immigration issues to get out of our current country, if we get an exemption to leave here then that is what we will use as the essential reason for my spouse to allowed to enter Canada.

mlei9569

Star Member
Dec 11, 2019
I am in that situation now. First, the spouse would have to have a visa or eta that would allow them to enter Canada, they will only consider TRV's right now for extraordinary circumstances, so if you don't already have one I think you would be out of luck to get one. Under the current restrictions one of the reasons for immediate family members being allowed to enter is for family reunification. IMO, if the citizen or PR is returning to Cda the spouse should be allowed to accompany and enter to maintain the family unity.

I haven't heard of this being done yet, we are working on Immigration issues to get out of our current country, if we get an exemption to leave here then that is what we will use as the essential reason for my spouse to allowed to enter Canada.
I called CBSA today. Unfortunately, not wanting to be separated from your spouse is not considered as essential. A key thumb of rule is that if your trip can be delayed, then usually it wouldn't be considered as essential. But the agent did mention that the policies could change in a couple of weeks.

mlei9569

Star Member
Dec 11, 2019

You can reach them at 1-800-461-9999 (in Canada) and 1-204-983-3500 (outside of Canada). Would love to see if you can get a second opinion.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
You can reach them at 1-800-461-9999 (in Canada) and 1-204-983-3500 (outside of Canada). Would love to see if you can get a second opinion.
Without any definite guidance as to what essential is I think calling CBSA you are getting one persons interpretation of the meaning, call back and you might get a different response. Probably how it would work when you got to Canada and dealing with the CBSA agent there. Unless you had a document from CBSA specifically allowing you to enter, pretty unlikely you could get something like that though.

Who knows what will happen with their policy in the future. We aren't in a position to travel right now anyways, will re-evaluate when that time comes. If it works I will certainly let you know.

mlei9569

Star Member
Dec 11, 2019
Without any definite guidance as to what essential is I think calling CBSA you are getting one persons interpretation of the meaning, call back and you might get a different response. Probably how it would work when you got to Canada and dealing with the CBSA agent there. Unless you had a document from CBSA specifically allowing you to enter, pretty unlikely you could get something like that though.

Who knows what will happen with their policy in the future. We aren't in a position to travel right now anyways, will re-evaluate when that time comes. If it works I will certainly let you know.
I totally agree. It's definitely the case in which the CBSA agents have a lot of discretion on what essential means, and we are going to get different answers from different agents. Nothing we can do right now but wait for clear guidance. And I hope you guys can get into Canada smoothly and start a new life. Would appreciate it if you share your experience with us.