+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

abkg1998

Star Member
Sep 25, 2023
Hi we applied on July 15th and we got our application received letter at September 18th, and last week we got medical letter biometric letter and
we got sponsor's eligibilty is approved letter. On portal it still shows that they are reviewing eligibility. But does it mean we can expect a decision soon or..? If I am not wrong, they will continue to process background and that is the final step. Can someone make comment on this? We are applying from Turkey I am in Ontario.

Our timeline:

Applied: July 15, 2023
AOR: September 18th,
Biometric Letter: September 25th,
Medical Letter: September 26th,
Background and Eligibilty started to proccess: September 26th,
Sponsorship Eligibilty Passed Letter: September 27th
Sponsorship Eligibilty Passed Letter Received: October 4th
Background Check Updated to Not Applicable: October 4th
background check is updated today to:

Background Check: Not applicable.

does it mean we passed background check? because it changed to n/a before too and then it was updated to we are processing your background check. now it is updated again to n/a

Last edited:

Sonikell

Apr 24, 2023
background check is updated today to:

Background Check: Not applicable.

does it mean we passed background check? because it changed to n/a before too and then it was updated to we are processing your background check. now it is updated again to n/a
Background is the last check..so if you pass that you should be getting final decision Notification. That’s when you actually know bg check is complete

abkg1998

Star Member
Sep 25, 2023
Background is the last check..so if you pass that you should be getting final decision Notification. That’s when you actually know bg check is complete
is it gonna say background passed or something like that? because on my pr application it only said N/A. maybe they are not finalizing yet because we didnt give the medical yet.

Sonikell

Apr 24, 2023
Then you haven’t completed eligibility yet.
step1 approve sponsor
step 2 pa eligibility..ie ur relationship and your medicals etc
step 3 background

background completion in my opinion is still some time away..be patient

abkg1998

Star Member
Sep 25, 2023
step1 approve sponsor
step 3 background

thank you for your response. I got excited because I think everything goes fast with our application. It didn't go this much fast on my own application from my fathers sponsorship to me haha. Hopefully good news soon.

sensai

May 12, 2020
Hi,
I wanted to know if I can apply for family class sponsorship when I'm not in Canada.
I'm currently a PR. I will be traveling back in a month.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
step1 approve sponsor
step 3 background

My experience has shown that Step 2 and Step 3 you mention are not always completed in that order. In my wife's case, eligibility was started on May 24/23; background was completed on June 27 (tracker never said when it started); eligibility was completed on October 3/23.

Sonikell

Apr 24, 2023
My experience has shown that Step 2 and Step 3 you mention are not always completed in that order. In my wife's case, eligibility was started on May 24/23; background was completed on June 27 (tracker never said when it started); eligibility was completed on October 3/23.
Absolutely right. There is no fixed order..but in general that is usually the flowchart they follow.

raghupb05

Jul 22, 2023
Hi ,
Just received invitation to Pre Arrival services today.
Do you know what will be the next step . Will it be a Portal request how we get here in Canada or straight passport request.
I hope you should hear something good soon.
Hi ! That’s great ! One more step ahead. I guess you will soon get PPR . Did the background check also got completed? I haven’t received anything yet . Still waiting . Hoping to receive Pre arrival mail soon . Can you share your timeline please ?

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Absolutely right. There is no fixed order..but in general that is usually the flowchart they follow.
And that would seem to make sense. Why check the background of someone who has been found ineligible? I suppose one could also argue: why check the eligibility of someone whose background does not pass muster? But, as someone who has no knowledge of the inner workings of the IRCC and their approach to these things, I understand that eligibility relates to the genuineness of the relationship and it seems to me that should probably be less time-consuming a task than all that background checking might require. I recognize that my wife's experience does not seem to bear that out. Her eligibility appears to have been under the microscope for almost 5 months.

Now that all steps are done, we are hoping we won't be returned to the back burner for another 5 months to receive a decision. We recognize that the pre-arrival services letter means nothing in terms of when a decision might come. In the case of my wife's sister, pre-arrival issued on Sept. 13/23, background check moved to complete on Sept. 15 and PPR was issued on Sept. 20. For her, PPR came 9 months plus one day after I, as her representative, submitted her application. My wife's application went in 10 months plus 8 days ago. The VO handling her file might be thinking it unseemly to render a decision before the full posted processing time of 13 months has run. Perhaps for every file done in under 13 months, one must be done after 13 months, to maintain the average.

Reactions: Sonikell