Med's Done....
28/03/2014
Passport Req..
02/12/2014
VISA ISSUED...
19/12/2014
LANDED..........
01/04/2015
My Belgian partner and I (Canadian citizen) will be 3 days short of a full year living together in Belgium, and we would like to apply as under a common law relationship. I understand we must live together for at least 365 days, but if my partner returns to Canada with me when my Visa expires, could we still be considered as common law? She would be just visiting, possibly staying for around a month for Christmas, but we of course would still be living together. On the other hand, how long would we have to wait to apply if we were married? (It has definitely been an consideration since we have been together for over a year).

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
khenderson said:
My Belgian partner and I (Canadian citizen) will be 3 days short of a full year living together in Belgium, and we would like to apply as under a common law relationship. I understand we must live together for at least 365 days, but if my partner returns to Canada with me when my Visa expires, could we still be considered as common law? She would be just visiting, possibly staying for around a month for Christmas, but we of course would still be living together. On the other hand, how long would we have to wait to apply if we were married? (It has definitely been an consideration since we have been together for over a year).
Visitor status definitely counts. It really doesn't matter as long as you're together. You can take a vacation and it would count.

You can apply immediately after marriage. Basically as soon as your application is ready.

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
CanadianJeepGuy said:
It doesn't matter who visits who. My wife has never been to Canada. I have been to the Philippines only 3 times in the 4 years we have known each other. CIC will recognize the greater the distance apart the greater the difficulty there is in being physically close more often than not.

So long as they have chat logs, emails, texts, phone calls and letter mail correspondence to prove their relationship is ongoing then that is sufficient.
i

Thank you, CanadianJeepGuy. That's what we thought. As for the phone calls, in this particular case they use those long-distance cards, so there is no 'bill' per se. I've never used them myself, so I don't know how difficult it is to get the phone records, but there must be a way, as I'm sure other people have faced this situation. I doubt if the cards alone will be sufficient, even if they have other evidence (emails, etc). I guess I'll ask this fellow to contact whatever company issued the cards.

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
Yelsew said:
i

Thank you, CanadianJeepGuy. That's what we thought. As for the phone calls, in this particular case they use those long-distance cards, so there is no 'bill' per se. I've never used them myself, so I don't know how difficult it is to get the phone records, but there must be a way, as I'm sure other people have faced this situation. I doubt if the cards alone will be sufficient, even if they have other evidence (emails, etc). I guess I'll ask this fellow to contact whatever company issued the cards.
If calls are to your cell phone, there may be records of both incoming and outgoing calls (depending on your provider), which would mean the calling card records would be unnecessary.

mrs_d

Star Member
Apr 18, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-02-2013
AOR Received.
03-25-2013
File Transfer...
03-25-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-14-2013
Would anyone know?? My hubby's medical test result will be expiring first week of Aug and NBI clearance is also expiring first week of Sept. Will they release his Visa prior to the expiration date or he will need to do another medical testing or get another NBI clearance again? On ecas it states that "medical results have been received".

can someone that went through something similar, please advise.

thank you kindly :)

mrs d

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
IvanP said:
If calls are to your cell phone, there may be records of both incoming and outgoing calls (depending on your provider), which would mean the calling card records would be unnecessary.
...and may be unnecessary to go to all that trouble. If they have emails and chat logs that should be enough. My wife and I have them (More than 10000 chat logs alone) I never submitted them with the application because it would be thicker than the Bible. So in my application I stated that we have email, text and chat log records that can be submitted if requested. So far they have not been requested and she has her PPR. Include lots of pics and any travel documents; any shared investments and even signed testimonials from friends and family as a means of adding genuineness to the relationship.

MORENA75

May 7, 2013
Greece
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there,

I am also VERYYYY confused for the Quebec application, you all seem like you know how this goes...can anyone PLZ help me? ::)

I've have been reading this forum for months as well as the Canada Immigration site trying to figure things out on my own - Not working Lips sealed

I am really afraid to make mistakes and am sure I have not understood everything. So, if there is anyone here WITH THE PATIENCE to bear with me and willing to help I would REALLY appreciate it, especially someone who has sponsored or has been sponsored to Quebec. I KNOW the things I will be asking may sound stupid and some will refer me back to the CIC website but I really would appreciate (and would not mind at all Tongue ) that you explain things to me as if I am an idiot. LOL.

So here's the deal :

I am a Canadian Citizen (from Mtl, Quebec)
I have been residing in Greece for the past 7yrs and leaving back to Montreal on May 20th 2013
My boyfriend / common-law is leaving Greece as well and is going back to his homeland - Albania on May 20th 2013

What I need help with or don't understand (practically everything :-X )

- I am confused about ALL the forms :'(
- I do not understand the procedure from Quebec...I've read that you have to send ALL the "forms" at once
- Then I have the big confusion about the Selection Certificate
- I am wondering since we are going to part SOON, and I would like to be the one SOLELY responsible (is that even possible?) for receiving and sending documents to and from CIC (his english is bad) if I need certain documents from him NOW.
- Has someone done the complete application for Quebec Sponsorship successfully and can guide me through in detail of what I must do - step by step? ???

Info:
We have lived together in Greece for over 5yrs, unfortunately everything was under my name, I have lotsssss of photos, chats, travel tickets, emails, and mail that shows we have been together (but nothing "legal") :(

I don't have a job ready in Mtl but I plan to get one within a mth of my arrival - (If I understood well there is no $$ req for Quebec to sponsor a common-law spouse right? ::))

I really don't know where to start and am really confused regarding the forms and what to send where EVEN though I have read this forum and the CIC website for hours per day during the past months, I see everyone here has sponsored on their own without need of a lawyer and I am just wondering is it only me that is so thick-skulled that does not understand a thing? ::) :p

i hope someone bored and patient is willing to bother with me and this sponsorship.

I thank you in advance - :)
Kathy

jae10580

May 7, 2013
hi, I'm being sponsored by my husband who happens to be Canadian citizen by birth. My husband submitted all the sponsorship document on the middle of this April 2013. On the application I was asked for my current working status. I put on there that I'm currently working in a call center here in the Philippines. The problem is, I'm planning to quit work this June, will that create a problem for our application? Do we need to inform the Canadian embassy for my plan on quitting my work and should I decide to get another job, do I need to inform them as well again? please help.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
MORENA75 said:
Hi there,

I am also VERYYYY confused for the Quebec application, you all seem like you know how this goes...can anyone PLZ help me? ::)

I've have been reading this forum for months as well as the Canada Immigration site trying to figure things out on my own - Not working Lips sealed

I am really afraid to make mistakes and am sure I have not understood everything. So, if there is anyone here WITH THE PATIENCE to bear with me and willing to help I would REALLY appreciate it, especially someone who has sponsored or has been sponsored to Quebec. I KNOW the things I will be asking may sound stupid and some will refer me back to the CIC website but I really would appreciate (and would not mind at all Tongue ) that you explain things to me as if I am an idiot. LOL.

So here's the deal :

I am a Canadian Citizen (from Mtl, Quebec)
I have been residing in Greece for the past 7yrs and leaving back to Montreal on May 20th 2013
My boyfriend / common-law is leaving Greece as well and is going back to his homeland - Albania on May 20th 2013

What I need help with or don't understand (practically everything :-X )

- I am confused about ALL the forms :'(
- I do not understand the procedure from Quebec...I've read that you have to send ALL the "forms" at once
- Then I have the big confusion about the Selection Certificate
- I am wondering since we are going to part SOON, and I would like to be the one SOLELY responsible (is that even possible?) for receiving and sending documents to and from CIC (his english is bad) if I need certain documents from him NOW.
- Has someone done the complete application for Quebec Sponsorship successfully and can guide me through in detail of what I must do - step by step? ???

Info:
We have lived together in Greece for over 5yrs, unfortunately everything was under my name, I have lotsssss of photos, chats, travel tickets, emails, and mail that shows we have been together (but nothing "legal") :(

I don't have a job ready in Mtl but I plan to get one within a mth of my arrival - (If I understood well there is no $$ req for Quebec to sponsor a common-law spouse right? ::))

I really don't know where to start and am really confused regarding the forms and what to send where EVEN though I have read this forum and the CIC website for hours per day during the past months, I see everyone here has sponsored on their own without need of a lawyer and I am just wondering is it only me that is so thick-skulled that does not understand a thing? ::) :p

i hope someone bored and patient is willing to bother with me and this sponsorship.

I thank you in advance - :)
Kathy
Best advice that I can give you before you leave Greece make sure he gets a police certificate; keep all your records of time spent together especially any shared assets.

You can sponsor him without a job so long as you can prove to CIC that you can provide for him financially until you are working.

The forms are basic information but the wording can be misleading. First go through the questionnaires for both your sponsorship and his permanent resident application.

The specific questions for Quebec I am not familiar with. Try to find the thread on this site for Quebec applicants.

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
Here's the process:
You file a complete application with CIC.
You are approved as a sponsor by CIC.
You send your CIC sponsorship approval letter with your Quebec Selection Certificate application to MICC.
In about a month, MICC will send you the approved CSQ, and simultaneously send a copy of the CSQ to CIC.
There's a good chance CIC will lose the CSQ, so it's not a bad idea to scan a copy and email it to your visa office.
After a few-to-many months, your partner will receive a passport request.
Once the VO has the passport, it will issue the visa.

That's the process in a nutshell, if it goes smoothly. It would probably be a very good idea for your boyfriend to request a police certificate from Greece BEFORE he leaves for Albania, and from Albania as soon as he arrives.

We're headed to Montreal as well - planning to move this summer in July or August. We're at the final stage waitong for the COPRs (visas) for my family (I'm the sponsor).

class action

May 7, 2013
Hi All, (I am not a lawyer, just another person looking to make a change)

I read some posts and would like to suggest that; please get united and raise a class action suit on the basis of cultural and religious discrimination and human rights. As the processing time for spousal sponsorship for India is 10 months (usually it takes less than that) and is a lot less in any other non-muslim countries.

If we really want to make a difference then, this blog is not sufficient. All of you and more need to get connected and go through the legal system.
As i don't see any reason for this long processing time; and i am comparing it to the neighboring country (no offense to Indians, as i would want it to be even lower than 10 months).

Once again blogging can help a social issue, please get together and try to find the permanent solution.

As i have seen so many families just NOT even considering to bring anyone form Pakistan for their children and siblings; AND i am one of them.

I just hope that we could be able to create a positive outcome, for the future generation.

thanks and good luck!!!!

Mom_of_2

Star Member
Apr 19, 2013
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/2012
AOR Received.
05/2012
File Transfer...
01/2013
Med's Request
01/03/2013
Med's Done....
Sent 14/03/2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
01/03/2013 sent 14/03/2013 recvd by SVO 19/03/2013
class action said:
Hi All, (I am not a lawyer, just another person looking to make a change)

I read some posts and would like to suggest that; please get united and raise a class action suit on the basis of cultural and religious discrimination and human rights. As the processing time for spousal sponsorship for India is 10 months (usually it takes less than that) and is a lot less in any other non-muslim countries.

If we really want to make a difference then, this blog is not sufficient. All of you and more need to get connected and go through the legal system.
As i don't see any reason for this long processing time; and i am comparing it to the neighboring country (no offense to Indians, as i would want it to be even lower than 10 months).

Once again blogging can help a social issue, please get together and try to find the permanent solution.

As i have seen so many families just NOT even considering to bring anyone form Pakistan for their children and siblings; AND i am one of them.

I just hope that we could be able to create a positive outcome, for the future generation.

thanks and good luck!!!!
Singapore is 26 months :(

MORENA75

May 7, 2013
Greece
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Ivan / CanadianJeepGuy-

First off - THANK YOU for bothering to reply so fast. :D

Now here is the part where I look stupid ... :p

I am going to apply Outland SO: can anyone please confirm that what I need to send initially is:
AKA: Part 1: Sponsorship forms & Part 2: Immigration forms ? *** I cannot post the link I'm a newbie :'(

Part 1: Sponsorship forms
Guide to sponsorship [IMM 3900]

Forms

Document Checklist [IMM 5491] (PDF, 159 KB)
Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking [IMM 1344] (PDF, 356 KB)
Sponsorship Evaluation [IMM 5481] (PDF, 110 KB)
Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union [IMM 5409] (PDF, 97 KB)
Sponsor Questionnaire [IMM 5540] (PDF, 160 KB)
Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] (PDF, 55 KB)

Part 2: Immigration forms
Guide to Immigrating [IMM 3999]

Forms

Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008] (PDF, 536 KB)
Additional Dependants/Declaration [IMM 0008DEP] (PDF, 472 KB)
Schedule A – Background/Declaration [IMM 5669] (PDF, 170 KB)
Additional Family Information [IMM 5406] (PDF, 88 KB)
Sponsored Spouse/Partner Questionnaire [IMM 5490] (PDF, 142 KB)
Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] (PDF, 55 KB)

Second, when I do send ALL forms above I must send his Greek Police and Albanian Police Clearance along with medical - Right? (anyone can confirm how long the above docs are valid for?)

So IF I have understood well so far. LOL I have to send the Part 1: Sponsorship forms & Part 2: Immigration forms , with medical and police reports to Missaussaga? (and of course everything that is mentioned in the checklists in the forms)

My problem so far is I DID not know WHAT forms I needed to send first hand at first. If indeed for Outland Quebec the required forms are ALL the ones above, I think I actually just understood 50% of the process in 2 minutes. :p

And then I wait for the Selection Qc Certificate and proceed as they instruct me from then on?

Again THANKS
Kathy