+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KSCM said:
so the best thing to do is get married when he comes for a visit then he goes back and we apply for a outland so it is faster the only thing is they might want him here for a interview, correct?
So i fill out everything to sponsor him, tell them that we are married but he is living in his homeland and we apply for a outland. then he fills all hi paper work there and then we just wait to hear when they call him for a interview, is that correct?
How long does outland ususally take?
When he gets approved then he has his PR?
Like I said in my previous answer, outland doesn't mean that he can't stay in Canada. You can get married, apply outland and he can stay until his visit visa is up or even apply for an extension and stay as long as it is approved. If they call him for an interview, he would have to go back to his homeland for it.

Mississauga takes about 5-6 weeks first to approve you as a sponsor, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#sponsorship and then the application is sent to his homeland or the visa office responsible for his homeland. Processing time seen here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp

KSCM

Star Member
Oct 29, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
good luck and let us know how things go.....

nika80

Nov 1, 2010
Kitchener
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug. 5/2011.
AOR Received.
Nov. 31/2011.
File Transfer...
Oct. 14/2011.
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec.1/2011.
LANDED..........
Soon :)
Hi,
I am going to Canada next year with my parents, as a dependent child. We already have our immigrant visas.
But I have one problem.
I have a boyfriend and we are together for about 8 years, but we have never lived together.
He will come to Canada as a visitor. Our plan is to get married and apply for his PR. My question is: Should we say in our application that we have that long relationship? Is that going to be a problem? Or, should we tell that we are together since we landed or something?

Thanks in advance for all answers.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just tell the truth. If you have never lived together, then you don't qualify as a common law and you are not married so you are not a couple. Therefore you still qualify as a dependent child. Get your PR, then marry him and sponsor him.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nika80 said:
Hi,
I am going to Canada next year with my parents, as a dependent child. We already have our immigrant visas.
But I have one problem.
I have a boyfriend and we are together for about 8 years, but we have never lived together.
He will come to Canada as a visitor. Our plan is to get married and apply for his PR. My question is: Should we say in our application that we have that long relationship? Is that going to be a problem? Or, should we tell that we are together since we landed or something?

Thanks in advance for all answers.
Be truthful. As long as you have not lived together as common-law partners prior to becoming a PR of Canada, it will not negatively affect your ability to sponsor him after you are married.

KSCM

Star Member
Oct 29, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
so it will take months for his visa to be approved?

Once he is here on a visitors visa and we apply for Outland how long does that take till we kow or have a interview for PR?
Also can he travel back to egypt and back to Canada during his visitors visa and processing time?

nika80

Nov 1, 2010
Kitchener
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug. 5/2011.
AOR Received.
Nov. 31/2011.
File Transfer...
Oct. 14/2011.
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec.1/2011.
LANDED..........
Leon and rjessome, thanks a lot, I am relieved because I am not a good lier :) It is much easier to tell the truth and that way we have much more evidences about our relationship, like pictures, etc.

I have one more question. My boyfriend will have a visitor visa at that time, and he will ask for an extension. Is it better to ask for OWP instead? Is that to risky? Or what we should do? Do you have some advice?

KSCM

Star Member
Oct 29, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon,
when I apply for a sponsor should we be married already, or send for a approval then when I am approved then he applies for a VV then when he is here we get married. Is that how it should work?

Thanks for you help??/

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
NIka he can't apply for an OWP unless you file the application inland. You would have to decide which route would be better for you. It depends on the country that you're from, processing times and so on.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KSCM said:
when I apply for a sponsor should we be married already, or send for a approval then when I am approved then he applies for a VV then when he is here we get married. Is that how it should work?
No. There is no fiance visa in Canada. He has to apply for the VV first, then you get married and then you apply for sponsorship. When he applies for the VV, he can say he is visiting his girlfriend and that reasons he will return to his homeland is because he has a job, assets, family, whatever. If it helps, you can invite him, promise to take care of his expenses while he is in Canada. Sometimes it happens that the fiance is denied a VV and if that happened, you would have to marry him outside Canada and then you sponsor outland and wait for him.

KSCM said:
so it will take months for his visa to be approved?

Once he is here on a visitors visa and we apply for Outland how long does that take till we kow or have a interview for PR?
Also can he travel back to egypt and back to Canada during his visitors visa and processing time?
Yes, it will take months to be approved. If you apply outland, he can travel back and forth but he would either need to have a multiple entry visit visa or apply for a VV again to come back. Right now, it takes 38 days on average to approve you as a sponsor, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#sponsorship so you should get a letter when that part of the processing is done. Then his file would be sent to Egypt. Cairo takes on average only 6 months to approve spouses for PR which is less than many other countries, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp#africa

dishy_max

Star Member
Oct 28, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2011
AOR Received.
16-02-2011
File Transfer...
16-02-2011
Passport Req..
05-04-2011
LANDED..........
17-07-2011
Ok this might seem like a stupid question but I'm sure they've sent files back for less.....

In the "Guide to Sponsorship" they say to fill out the forms in block letters but....on the forms themselves it doesn't specify and just says "type or print in black ink".

Can anybody tell me if my partner and I have to fill out the forms in block letters or lower case?

Dish

nika80

Nov 1, 2010
Kitchener
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug. 5/2011.
AOR Received.
Nov. 31/2011.
File Transfer...
Oct. 14/2011.
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec.1/2011.
LANDED..........
kelKel said:
NIka he can't apply for an OWP unless you file the application inland. You would have to decide which route would be better for you. It depends on the country that you're from, processing times and so on.
OK, we will probably go for inland app.and because of that I am wondering what is better for us-apply for extension of a visitor visa or to change conditions to OWP? In any case we will send both (immigration app.and visitor/work app.at the same time), but I would like to know which of that is better solution, visitor extension or owp or can we ask for both at the same time?
It will be hard to live without a job for that long period of time(7-10 months)....

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dishy_max said:
Ok this might seem like a stupid question but I'm sure they've sent files back for less.....

In the "Guide to Sponsorship" they say to fill out the forms in block letters but....on the forms themselves it doesn't specify and just says "type or print in black ink".

Can anybody tell me if my partner and I have to fill out the forms in block letters or lower case?

Dish
Type in the information or "print" it so that it is readable. Block letters does not mean all caps. They just want to ensure that they can read it.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nika80 said:
OK, we will probably go for inland app.and because of that I am wondering what is better for us-apply for extension of a visitor visa or to change conditions to OWP? In any case we will send both (immigration app.and visitor/work app.at the same time), but I would like to know which of that is better solution, visitor extension or owp or can we ask for both at the same time?
It will be hard to live without a job for that long period of time(7-10 months)....
Why would you apply inland? What country is he from? If you apply outland, the whole PR process could be over in 7 to 12 months (depends on the country processing and how well you prepared your application).

Anyway, in answer to your question, no you can't apply for both the visitor extension and the OWP at the same time. In effect, applying for the OWP with the inland application before his visitor visa expires IS applying to extend his status but it just changes his conditions to be able to work if the OWP is approved. If you receive first stage approval on the inland spousal, he will be approved for the OWP.

maruti81

Mar 13, 2009
This is a wonderful thread. Thank you Leon for starting this helpful thread.

I have a question:
I have been working in USA on H1B for the past 4 years. I became a Canadian permanent resident very recently, and moving to Canada soon. I plan to get married soon to a girl in India and sponsor her.

Later, I plan to sponsor my dad also. Do I need to wait for some time before sponsoring my dad or I can sponsor immediately? What are the income requirements for sponsoring dad like amount of funds available etc(I think there are no income requirements for sponsoring spouse).

Your input is highly appreciated. Thank you.