+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Arli

Oct 22, 2010
rjessome said:
They want to verify that you are actually now residing in Canada. You are a PR and this is a requirement for spousal sponsorship when the sponsor is a PR. You've been globe trotting quite a bit since you became a PR so now you have to prove to them that you have settled in Canada. This part is NOT about proving your relationship is genuine. It's about YOU being eligible to sponsor.
Thank you.
I am concerned about bank statements. Should I provide the bank statements from Canada or from the US as well? I have bank and credit card accounts in the US.
Also, is it ok to provide the printout from the website? Because I chose paperless option and have not received any bank statements by mail.

shero

Oct 27, 2010
thanks for ur help

but in the main site of the goverment said

Medical Examination Instructions
Instructions on how to take the medical examination will normally be sent to you after you submit your application to the visa office

please anyone explain to me if im wrong please tell me again again and slowly which document i have to print and fill it and which one i go to the doctor with thanks you

dlanyerx

Jul 19, 2010
Transfer of Application

Hi

Is it possible to transfer my application from Abu Dhabi to Manila, Philippines?

Abu Dhabi is VERY SLOW (25 months max) in processing applications..

dishy_max

Star Member
Oct 28, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2011
AOR Received.
16-02-2011
File Transfer...
16-02-2011
Passport Req..
05-04-2011
LANDED..........
17-07-2011
Hi all,

I'm sponsoring my British boyfriend as my "common law partner" and we're hoping to send everything off in the next week or two. Just thought I'd post on here before we send everything off in case anybody has any pointers?

We're doing outland as it's supposed to be a few months quicker filing here than in Canada.

We've been living together for 15 months but have had to do some affidavits as we haven't got any bills in both of our names and as we live in a house belonging to his Mom and don't pay rent we haven't got a lease. Had we known when we moved in that we were going to make this move, we would have changed all bills to both of our names and got a joint bank account but it was too late to do that by the time we decided we wanted to move. Hindsight eh!

We've got statutory declarations from friends and family saying that we have been together for three years, living together for 15 months and all that, filled out the forms, each done a "relationship essay", included photos, airline tickets for the three holidays we've been on to Vancouver and a few bits of post that I've had to this address as well as bills paid by my boyfriend.

Is there anything else that we should be doing or including? Just wondering if anybody who has gone through this has any recommendations on what we could do or shouldn't do to ensure that the forms don't get sent back - that's the last thing we want!!

Also - when doing the photos, should we be gluing them onto blank paper on including them within the body of our essay?

I've already got a job in Canada and am including a contract to prove that I'll be working and my salary etc. And because I'm due to start in February we were hoping that my boyfriend could get into the country on a 6 month visitor permit so that at the very least we're not separated while we're waiting for the results.

Anybody have any info, ideas, recommendations? This is all so new to me and I just want to get it right. ::)

kc416

Nov 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-03-2009
Doc's Request.
25-06-2009
AOR Received.
08-06-2009
Passport Req..
21-10-2009
VISA ISSUED...
02-11-2009
LANDED..........
03-11-2009
hi dishy, I cannot comment on all of the questions, but regarding the photos i would not recommend gluing them to a paper, I sent mine in a seperate small envelope and wrote on the back of them.

Regarding your job, its great you have a job and for sure include that in the package but dont worry too much about that since there is no financial min. requirement while sponsoring your spouse/boyfriend.

I am sure you have a keen eye and have made sure every I is dotted and T is crossed, most applications get sent back because of missing signatures or missing documents at the sponsorship stage.

Concidering that your hubby is from UK, he could come and go in Canada without a visa for a short period of time anyways. at least up to a month I would assume... being from the UK I cannot remember the exact amount of time a UK resident is able to stay but most of my family who visits stay for quite a while.... so if you do apply for a 6 month visitor visa and it doesnt get approved for any reason - nothing hurts to do a few short trips...

missxiinn

Oct 15, 2009
Hi Leon. Thanks so much for the info. I am wondering. my sponsor used to be in bankrupcy.. but have been released for almost 2 years now? Is he eligible to sponsor in this situation?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shero said:
thanks for ur help

but in the main site of the goverment said

Medical Examination Instructions
Instructions on how to take the medical examination will normally be sent to you after you submit your application to the visa office

please anyone explain to me if im wrong please tell me again again and slowly which document i have to print and fill it and which one i go to the doctor with thanks you
No it doesn’t. You are reading the wrong guide. Read the one for sponsoring your spouse and the Region Specific Guide. I posted the appropriate links in my last response to you.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5491E.PDF
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3908e.pdf

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Transfer of Application

dlanyerx said:
Hi

Is it possible to transfer my application from Abu Dhabi to Manila, Philippines?

Abu Dhabi is VERY SLOW (25 months max) in processing applications..
You can ask but they will not transfer unless you have some very extraordinary circumstances. One office being slower than the other is not a good enough reason to transfer in CIC's view. If you are a citizen of the Philippines, you had to option of choosing Manila in the beginning. Sorry but you are probably out of luck.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
missxiinn said:
Hi Leon. Thanks so much for the info. I am wondering. my sponsor used to be in bankrupcy.. but have been released for almost 2 years now? Is he eligible to sponsor in this situation?
If your sponsor has been discharged from the bankruptcy, he will be able to sponsor you as long as he is not in receipt of social assistance benefits.

missxiinn

Oct 15, 2009
Thank you rjessome. Yes he has been discharged it's just he will not be able to apply for credit card or bank loan for 7 years.

shero

Oct 27, 2010
my wife she asked the doctor about the medical exam he told her until the embassy send him the letter to do it
thats mean he cant do it now

i really dont understand the papers tell me to do it and him he is telling me he cant now ??? :-X

KSCM

Star Member
Oct 29, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for all you knowledge it really give comfort. I have a couple of questions please.
1.Can my fiance come to Canada on a visitors visa and we get married then or should we get married before he applies for a visitors visa?
2.Is the longest visiotrs visa 6 months then you apply for a extension?
3. When on a visitors visa can he work or wait till he is approved for a open work permit?
4.If he is here on a visitors visa and we send in all the first stage paper work can here stay here while it is pending and is this called the Inland?
5. While on a V V what if anything would send him back? Is it only after the 6 months and he doesnt get a extension?
6. So if we get married, he is here on a V V and we apply for a Inland and at the same time a extension, open work permit for after the first stage approval then what happens after that? How long will it take to be a PR?

sorry there are so many question I just dont want anthing to go wrong and hold us up or even get refused.
Thank you so very much.

CM

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KSCM said:
1.Can my fiance come to Canada on a visitors visa and we get married then or should we get married before he applies for a visitors visa?
He can come to Canada on a visitor visa and then get married. If you get married and then apply for a visit visa, odds are that he will be denied due to risk of overstaying and you will have to sponsor outland and wait for his PR to come through.

KSCM said:
2.Is the longest visiotrs visa 6 months then you apply for a extension?
Yes, that is usually how it works. Extensions are always given if you have applied inland already after 6 months and usually too if you have applied outland.

KSCM said:
3. When on a visitors visa can he work or wait till he is approved for a open work permit?
He can not work on a visit visa.

KSCM said:
4.If he is here on a visitors visa and we send in all the first stage paper work can here stay here while it is pending and is this called the Inland?
Inland means that you mail to Vegreville and case is processed in Canada. Outland means you mail to Mississauga and it is processed there and in his homeland. In both cases, he could be in Canada during processing. Sometimes outland is faster. Inland has the downside that if he must leave Canada and if for some reason he can't come back, the application and waiting time is gone.

KSCM said:
5. While on a V V what if anything would send him back? Is it only after the 6 months and he doesnt get a extension?
If he stays within the law, nobody will send him back before his visit visa expires.

KSCM said:
6. So if we get married, he is here on a V V and we apply for a Inland and at the same time a extension, open work permit for after the first stage approval then what happens after that? How long will it take to be a PR?

Right now, it takes 8-9 months for first stage approval, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#perm_res After that, he would get the open work permit and could apply for health care. In some cases, people are getting PR a month after first stage approval. In other cases it's a year. Processing time varies.

If there is something wrong with the application and an interview is required, it will delay it. Often more if you have applied inland than outland. If that happens. With inland, he would not get his first stage approval and would have to wait until your CIC office has time to talk to him. This can sometimes take a year, sometimes more. For outland, he would have to go to his home country for the interview.

KSCM

Star Member
Oct 29, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
so the best thing to do is get married when he comes for a visit then he goes back and we apply for a outland so it is faster the only thing is they might want him here for a interview, correct?
So i fill out everything to sponsor him, tell them that we are married but he is living in his homeland and we apply for a outland. then he fills all hi paper work there and then we just wait to hear when they call him for a interview, is that correct?
How long does outland ususally take?
When he gets approved then he has his PR?

dishy_max

Star Member
Oct 28, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2011
AOR Received.
16-02-2011
File Transfer...
16-02-2011
Passport Req..
05-04-2011
LANDED..........
17-07-2011
Thanks KC - we've got immigration lawyers reviewing everything in Vancouver. The first time we sent the forms to them for review we got a 4 page email back about things to change. Luckily the second time was only one page and now we appear ready!

Just nervous....want it to be perfect so they don't send it back - especially for simply not ticking a box!

It's great to come on here and read some of the positive comments from some people. Fingers crossed we file this week!

Dish