+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship- pakistan- questions

ahmedsyed29

Jan 11, 2020
Hi,

I am going to be sponsoring my wife from Pakistan and was looking at the below country specific requirments,
Nowhere does it say that i have to send her original birth certificate, original degrees when applying, but was told my family and friends, that the original have to be submitted.

Can anybody clarify that for me,

• Identity and civil status documents issued by Pakistan: Documents must bear the name of the applicant, and be endorsed by the government authority responsible for issuance in the district in which the event took place.
    • For marriages which took place in Pakistan: The marriage certificate to be submitted is the “Nikkah Nama”. It must bear the Nikkah registry seal as evidence that the marriage has been properly registered by the union council or the relevant government authority in the relevant region. The NADRA (National Database and Registration Authority) issued marriage certificate should be included but is not sufficient evidence on its own.
    • Divorces obtained in Pakistan: If a divorce has been obtained in Pakistan by a sponsor residing in Canada, submit evidence that either party of the divorce resided in Pakistan for at least one year prior to the divorce. Alternatively, you may submit evidence that either party to the divorce had a substantial connection to Pakistan such as frequent visits, property ownership, and/or active businesses in Pakistan.
    • Divorce certificates issued in Pakistan must be issued by the relevant union council or government authority. The NADRA (National Database and Registration Authority) issued divorce certificate should be included but is not sufficient evidence on its own. You must include the Certificate of Talaq issued by the relevant Union council. In the case of Khula, you should also include the decree of Khula issued by the Family Court.
    • Non-Muslims should provide marriage and divorce certificates from the relevant authority responsible for registration.
    • Affidavits to establish marriage, divorce, death and custody are not acceptable.
  • Note: Failure to submit marriage or divorce certificates with conform to the Muslim Family Law Ordinance of 1961 may lead to the delay and possible refusal of your application.
  • For applicants under the spousal category: If you were married according to the rites, customs, and/or traditions of this country, please submit printed photos of the principal applicant and the sponsor with relatives and friends. Photos submitted should include photos of the wedding ceremony (signing of the contract or Nikkah) and customary celebrations held afterwards (the wedding reception or the Rukhsati). Photos should also include pictures taken of the principal applicant and the sponsor together on other occasions, either before and/or after the wedding.
  • Note: Ensure that all photographs are clearly labelled in English or French with the names of the persons appearing in the pictures, the date the photo was taken, and the occasion or event displayed in the photo.

Seeker007

Star Member
Mar 15, 2020
Hi,

I am going to be sponsoring my wife from Pakistan and was looking at the below country specific requirments,
Nowhere does it say that i have to send her original birth certificate, original degrees when applying, but was told my family and friends, that the original have to be submitted.

Can anybody clarify that for me,

• Identity and civil status documents issued by Pakistan:Documents must bear the name of the applicant, and be endorsed by the government authority responsible for issuance in the district in which the event took place.
    • For marriages which took place in Pakistan: The marriage certificate to be submitted is the “Nikkah Nama”. It must bear the Nikkah registry seal as evidence that the marriage has been properly registered by the union council or the relevant government authority in the relevant region. The NADRA (National Database and Registration Authority) issued marriage certificate should be included but is not sufficient evidence on its own.
    • Divorces obtained in Pakistan: If a divorce has been obtained in Pakistan by a sponsor residing in Canada, submit evidence that either party of the divorce resided in Pakistan for at least one year prior to the divorce. Alternatively, you may submit evidence that either party to the divorce had a substantial connection to Pakistan such as frequent visits, property ownership, and/or active businesses in Pakistan.
    • Divorce certificates issued in Pakistan must be issued by the relevant union council or government authority. The NADRA (National Database and Registration Authority) issued divorce certificate should be included but is not sufficient evidence on its own. You must include the Certificate of Talaq issued by the relevant Union council. In the case of Khula, you should also include the decree of Khula issued by the Family Court.
    • Non-Muslims should provide marriage and divorce certificates from the relevant authority responsible for registration.
    • Affidavits to establish marriage, divorce, death and custody are not acceptable.
  • Note: Failure to submit marriage or divorce certificates with conform to the Muslim Family Law Ordinance of 1961 may lead to the delay and possible refusal of your application.
  • For applicants under the spousal category: If you were married according to the rites, customs, and/or traditions of this country, please submit printed photos of the principal applicant and the sponsor with relatives and friends. Photos submitted should include photos of the wedding ceremony (signing of the contract or Nikkah) and customary celebrations held afterwards (the wedding reception or the Rukhsati). Photos should also include pictures taken of the principal applicant and the sponsor together on other occasions, either before and/or after the wedding.
  • Note: Ensure that all photographs are clearly labelled in English or French with the names of the persons appearing in the pictures, the date the photo was taken, and the occasion or event displayed in the photo.
You are only required to provide copies of these documents. If possible attest your English Translation of Nikah Nama from the Foreign Office of your respective city. Also make sure you include the original Police Clearance Certificate in your application.

Reactions: saqibzamir

zulfi_3

Jun 10, 2018
Great thank you, just sent the application today
Hi,
My husband is going to be sponsoring me for the PR. We wanted guidance regarding the name change, we all know that it is not necessary but does it help in quick processing of the application?
We believe that it might also support as 'proof of relationship' ?

Kindly advise.

AutumnSkies

May 31, 2019
Hi,
My husband is going to be sponsoring me for the PR. We wanted guidance regarding the name change, we all know that it is not necessary but does it help in quick processing of the application?
We believe that it might also support as 'proof of relationship' ?

Kindly advise.
It doesn’t speed up the process. It really depends on whether you want to take the time to change your legal documents to your married name. And whether that’s the most common thing to do depending on cultural background.

In my case I was the sponsor and it’s fairly common for Canadian women not to change their last name. I never bothered so all my documentation matched with my maiden name. (Plus, I did not want to take the time or the headache to have everything changed.) I can’t speak from the PA side though.

SZAHID

Aug 8, 2020
Great thank you, just sent the application today
Did you complete the application package yourself or had help from a lawyer? I will be applying soon for my husband and had some questions like the kind of evidence one can submit with the application. Any sort of help will be appreciated!
Thanks