+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship in-land Applications 2016 timeline and updates

Guanguar16

Oct 11, 2016
Thanks, Profiler!

I have a question, I used visitor visa to enter on July 19th and will be end Jan.18, 2017. Now should I extend my visitor visa? As I also sent out my OWP application together with my PR app.

Thank you !!

RV23

Nov 6, 2014
BC
Visa Office......
MISSISSAUGA
NOC Code......
N/A
App. Filed.......
May 10 2016
Doc's Request.
Aug 10 2016
AOR Received.
June 7 2016
IELTS Request
Upfront , passed
Med's Request
May 4 2016
Med's Done....
May 6 2016
profiler said:
Shouldn't be an issue to use your maiden or married name. The government of Canada knows both (as you had to assume the married name at some point, and you would have to state you were also known as your maiden name). So, they know who it is.
Alright! Thanks Profiler!!

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Guanguar16 said:
Thanks, Profiler!

I have a question, I used visitor visa to enter on July 19th and will be end Jan.18, 2017. Now should I extend my visitor visa? As I also sent out my OWP application together with my PR app.

Thank you !!
You have implied status.

maria_mirabela

Jul 14, 2016
Toronto
Visa Office......
Toronto
GuyanaGirl said:
So what you're saying is stop trying to frantically link the OWP application and stop panicking that it can't locate the application...ok I'll put my inhaler away now ??? Lol

Well the applicant is my husband. I work with a Software company in Waterloo area, it's amazing I haven't started checking the application status daily given that I sit in front of my computer all day.
Don't worry, GuyanaGirl. I had my app sent before you and still haven't got the hardcopy in the mail. The only way I know I've been approved it's myCIC (which you weren't able to link with). It takes a while for the mail to travel all its way from Alberta :)
As profiler said, start applying for jobs cause this takes a while too. Now I regret I haven't done that sooner...

maria_mirabela

Jul 14, 2016
Toronto
Visa Office......
Toronto
profiler said:
In summary:
If you are watching to see if Ms Profiler has a landing party:
- If you are old school, and you believe the call centre, and ECAS, then Ms Profiler will have her landing party sometime in 2025. We will send you the invitation. Make sure your profile is up to date with that.

- If you are new school, and you believe polarvolcano, pedropil, and others. If you believe the MP's connection into CIC, and you take what myCIC has to say as gospel. And you agree with CIC's in Canada flow chart from IP8 (now removed, but still in the CanadaVisa.com inland processing document). Then the 3-5 month process of step 2 - admissibility checks is underway and has been since BG Checks In Progress started sometime in June or July. In this case, we'd be landing with the SIRcateers before Christmas 2016.

- If you are Spaghetti monster believers, or you are into entropy as a clothing or life-style. Then I have a mathematical calculation for you. Just ask.
Count me in the new school - science gang! I'm already screening outfits for your landing party. ;)

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
maria_mirabela said:
Count me in the new school - science gang! I'm already screening outfits for your landing party. ;)
Heh. I saw the funniest thing yesterday. I thought you would enjoy this story.

Ms Profiler still has a very eastern european accent. Part of the purpose of me picking her up was to take her somewhere (we only have the one car for now). Well, the person behind the counter was also eastern european (if I was guessing, she was Romanian). So, imagine these two talking in english, and both having trouble understanding each other's accent.

My first thought: JUST SPEAK RUSSIAN ALREADY .... Of course, I know it doesn't work that way, and my wife doesn't know Romanian.

maria_mirabela

Jul 14, 2016
Toronto
Visa Office......
Toronto
profiler said:
Heh. I saw the funniest thing yesterday. I thought you would enjoy this story.

Ms Profiler still has a very eastern european accent. Part of the purpose of me picking her up was to take her somewhere (we only have the one car for now). Well, the person behind the counter was also eastern european (if I was guessing, she was Romanian). So, imagine these two talking in english, and both having trouble understanding each other's accent.

My first thought: JUST SPEAK RUSSIAN ALREADY .... Of course, I know it doesn't work that way, and my wife doesn't know Romanian.
I know that's kind of personal but do you mind me asking how she feels about her accent? I personally struggle with this even though my husband says I have NO accent at all; the only thing out of the ordinary is that I speak in a very academic manner (about 20 years of school in/ about American English would do that to a person I assume... ). And I hate it!

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
maria_mirabela said:
I know that's kind of personal but do you mind me asking how she feels about her accent? I personally struggle with this even though my husband says I have NO accent at all; the only thing out of the ordinary is that I speak in a very academic manner (about 20 years of school in/ about American English would do that to a person I assume... ). And I hate it!
The Profilers are generally an open book. Ask and generally we will answer (for the record). I shared the story because it was accent v. accent. Both women were laughing (I started it!)

My wife did all-English schooling in Moscow. That said, when she wasn't in school, she would end up speaking Ruskie. Even her brother went to the same school -- he forgot everything he learned. My wife almost had, because she finished Uni about 8 years ago. So, that said, yup she still rocks the accent.

The day after she starts working at this office, she says to me, "I was setting up the voice mail message on my work phone today, and I had to listen to myself. I have a very strong accent. I hate it!" She doesn't like being different, in that way. To her, Canadian's don't have an accent at all. She said we sound the most English out of all western countries. Go figure. I thought that would have been England.

To our family here, we don't really notice the accent. Keep in mind how multi-cultural Canada (and in large part, Ontario -- because this is still the province who most people immigrating land in) is. So, to us, it's par for the course. So, my opinion here: I don't know you (yet, but we still have landing parties to attend!), but chances are, most won't think you have an accent any different than anyone else. So, think of it as adding to the cultural mosaic of the land -- meaning it should be celebrated :).

I work with a lady who came to Canada from Poland in the 1980's. She still has an eastern euro accent (some confuse it for Russian). It is really only a problem when people ask her, "Where are you from? Russia?"

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
maria_mirabela said:
@profiler: thanks, that was so nice of you to share. I guess feeling "normal" it's a habit that comes with time.
You're normal, like everyone else is!

To me, I think the most noticeable accents are Newfie and Scottish. The rest I don't even notice at all.

mskoalified

Nov 3, 2016
Hi all,

My husband is currently in Canada on a 2 year IEC visa from Australia. I'm a Canadian citizen and have submitted our application for inland Spousal Sponsorship and a new Open Work Permit for him. Unfortunately his current IEC visa and work permit expire in March 2017. I had a few questions regarding this.

Does he gain implied status (visitor only) while his application is being processed?

Is he actually eligible to receive a new Open Work Permit? I have read that IEC visas cannot be extended, which discounts him from implied status (working), but I wanted to clarify that he's actually eligible for a new OWP.

Has he potentially applied for a work permit the wrong way? Is there another class he should be applying under? He has been working at the same company full time since May 2015 as a Graphic Designer if that is at all important.

Thank you in advance for your help!

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
mskoalified said:
Hi all,

My husband is currently in Canada on a 2 year IEC visa from Australia. I'm a Canadian citizen and have submitted our application for inland Spousal Sponsorship and a new Open Work Permit for him. Unfortunately his current IEC visa and work permit expire in March 2017. I had a few questions regarding this.

Does he gain implied status (visitor only) while his application is being processed?

Is he actually eligible to receive a new Open Work Permit? I have read that IEC visas cannot be extended, which discounts him from implied status (working), but I wanted to clarify that he's actually eligible for a new OWP.

Has he potentially applied for a work permit the wrong way? Is there another class he should be applying under? He has been working at the same company full time since May 2015 as a Graphic Designer if that is at all important.

Thank you in advance for your help!
When did you apply for the PR and OWP?

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Make sure you paid $255 for the OWP. $100 for the permit, $155 for the OWP holder fee.

Here is a snip on eligibility from the Temporary Foreign Workers Operations Manual (the bolded area is of interest here):
"
Applicants in the following categories are eligible:

- persons described under paragraph R206(a) or (b) (exemption code S61 or S62);

- persons described under paragraph R207 (exemption code A70);

- persons described under paragraph R208(a) or (b) (exemption code H81 or H82);

- certain workers authorized to enter Canada on a reciprocal basis:

- Canada World Youth Program participants (exemption code C20),

- International Experience Canada working holiday exchange programs participants (exemption code C21) (there are also specific recognized organizations whose participants receive open work permits [such as GO International, SWAP, and INTERNex]),

- family members of foreign representatives and of military personnel who are LMIA-exempt (exemption code C20), where a reciprocal arrangement exists,

- professional athletes authorized to enter Canada on the basis of exemption C20 who require other work to support themselves while playing for a Canadian team (e.g., Canadian Football League);

- spouses of skilled workers eligible under paragraph R205(c) (exemption code C41);

- spouses of foreign students eligible under paragraph R205(c) (exemption code C42);
- qualifying foreign nationals currently in Canada who have submitted an application for permanent residence under one of the economic classes (the federal skilled worker class [FSWC], the Canadian experience class [CEC], the provincial nominee class [PNC], or the federal skilled trades class [FSTC]) or under one of the caregiver classes (caring for children class or caring for people with high medical needs class) and who meet eligibility requirements may be considered for a bridging open work permit if their current work permit expires in the next four months (exemption code A75);

- qualifying foreign nationals who have submitted an application for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada (SCLPC) class.

- As of December 22, 2014, open work permits may be issued to eligible applicants under the SCLPC class at an earlier stage in processing. This pilot project will end on December 21, 2016.

- Officers will issue open work permits to SCLPC class applicants if they meet the following requirements:

- a permanent residence application has been submitted under the SCLPC class;

- a Canadian citizen or permanent resident spouse has submitted a sponsorship application on their behalf;

- the SCLPC class applicant resides at the same address as the sponsor; and

- the SCLPC class applicant has valid temporary resident status (as a visitor, student, or worker).

- Applicants whose application for permanent residence is being processed under the spousal public policy (subcategory “PP” in GCMS) on the basis that they do not have a valid temporary resident status are not eligible to be issued an open work permit under the pilot project. They must wait until they receive approval in principle to be eligible to apply for an open work permit.

- Case processing centres will ensure that the requirements are met and conduct a systems check to identify any adverse information on either the sponsor or the applicant that would render the applicant ineligible to receive an open work permit. If there is information that an applicant is inadmissible, their application for an open work permit will be refused.

- Validity: These work permits are valid for two years or until the date the SCLPC class applicant’s passport expires, whichever is the earliest.

- Additional GCMS coding: Use special program code “SPO” (sponsored spouse or partner) and standard note “Pending FC APR” (to be entered in User Remarks so it appears on the physical document).

- In combination with LMIA exemption code A70 and NOC code 9999, this additional coding will allow Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) to capture and report on data specific to the issuance of open work permits to SCLPC class applicants.

If a medical examination has not been completed, work permits should be open employer/occupation-restricted.
"

Meaning, yes, as long as he has a PR app in, you have a sponsorship app in for him, and the fees were paid properly, you're good to go. He will have implied status until the OWP arrives (so, when one permit ends, if he doesn't have the new one yet, tell him to stop working until the new one arrives; he can remain as a visitor until the OWP comes).

OWP processing time is ~4 mos.

mihaaga

Nov 3, 2016
Hi guys!

I am not sure if I am posting this the right way or not.

I have been checking your updates for a while and finally decided to actively join this forum as I just received an e-mail saying that MyCic was updated! I went to check with one million heart beats per second and there it is - WORK PERMIT APPROVED! WOHOO!
Months of nerve wrecking and frustration are partially over!

So thank you for all your updates on your application during this time.

These are my dates:

Application sent: 25-July-2016
Application received in Mississauga: 26-July-2016
Receipt of application and started processing: 15-AUG-2016
Medical results PASSED: 20-AUG-2016 (I've done those in May, before applying)
Background check: IN PROGRESS on 22-OCT-2016 and still in progress (for PR)
OPW: CLOSED & APPROVED on 03-11-2016 (so in 3 months and 1 week :D :D)

Did not receive any document online yet, so I am still waiting for that!
Already been looking for jobs without being sure if I will be approved, but it looks like I have been too slow! Now I need to find something quick, as I have been without a job for centuries.. Since last year in July to be more exact. Also have tried the Express Entry route, but it took too long, so we ended up applying this way.

Ehm..anything useful to let you know...

- We sent tons of proof of relationship (anything you can imagine, hundreds of pics, 1 year proof of living together in Canada, since we had no legal proof of living together in Portugal for 1.5 ys..)
- There is quite a difference of age between us, which was one of our worries - but it seems that all our proof of genuine relationship helped :)
- I never requested any notes, so I would not annoy them or look suspicious
- We paid all the fees, did all the medicals and submitted all the police certificates, except for one that I needed a letter from CIC in order to request it (based on the website)

..and that's it folks!

I still can't believe that I was approved and hope you all get it as quickly, since being without work is extremely frustrating.

Now time to start applying for jobs, even though I am completely lost here, not knowing which jobs to apply for, if I will ever get any nice jobs or not, and after all this time, I do feel completely disconnected of the real world. Hopefully I can put myself back together and get myself a job.

So now.. still waiting to see if my PR will be processed soon too. Will keep you updated on that.

Don't lose hope!

:)

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Thanks for that. Can you put your details in the inland spreadsheet? : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Yn3BFzI4q4xAy4EW3pG4CgQz9o3EzF5b18_tcSJwBhA/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=130501564 (on the New Entry sheet)

If you want opinions or help on your job hunt, feel free to post.

Also, for what it's worth, if there is an inland sponsorship application in, and there is a sponsor application in, there is a 95% chance of approval for the OWP.