+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsoring spouse outland collecting benefits help!

jennymuffin19

May 11, 2014
playa del carmen, mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
im canadian, my husband is mexican. ive been back and forth from canada to mexico the last couple years. i got pregnant april 2013. i started collecting maternity leave benefits september 2013. i applied for my mexican visa december 2013. the mexican visa office just told me that my resdiency in mexico has been approved. i am also in the process of trying to sponsor my husband to come to canada. my question is, will the immigration office i send the PR application to, care that i am collecting maternity benefits from outside canada? i know that it is allowed to collect maternity benefits from outside canada but it doesnt say anything about actually living outside of canada. im confused.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
i don't believe maternity benefits counts as social assistance (ie: welfare). That is what CIC is most concerned about. If the option C form shows welfare has been collected, the sponsorship will not be approved. Maternity leave is different, as i'm sure it's been paid into by you and your previous employer? There are many people who have been collecting EI and have been approved as a sponsor, so i image it's similar to that.

jennymuffin19

May 11, 2014
playa del carmen, mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yeah but the reason why i was worried is cause im collecting from outside the country...but i would think that i would be entitled to the rest of my mat pay because i paid into it? i was just thinking because technically im not a resident of ontario anymore now that i am a mexican resident...but maybe im over thinking this. would canadian immigration really care about a CRA issue like this?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jennymuffin19 said:
yeah but the reason why i was worried is cause im collecting from outside the country...but i would think that i would be entitled to the rest of my mat pay because i paid into it? i was just thinking because technically im not a resident of ontario anymore now that i am a mexican resident...but maybe im over thinking this. would canadian immigration really care about a CRA issue like this?
You can collect EI Maternity outside Canada. From Service Canada

Am I allowed to leave Canada while receiving EI maternity or parental benefits?

Yes, you can receive EI maternity and parental benefits while you are outside Canada. However, if you leave the country, please let us know by calling 1-800-206-7218 (TTY: 1-800-529-3742) and pressing "0" to speak with a representative.

Gumper

Jan 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-01-2014
AOR Received.
06-03-2014
File Transfer...
11-03-2014
Med's Done....
09-01-2014
Your maternity leave is a non-issue imo. First of all you will need to indicate on the form IMM5540 (Sponsor Questionnaire), question 11, if you are living in Canada or not. If you answer yes, you need only produce an Option C printout from CRA & include it in your application...I assume your mat leave income is included in that statement. If you are working & living in Mexico (and answer 'no' to question 11), you just have to prove to CIC that you will re-establish yourself in Canada. Once again the mat leave is a non-issue in any case.

tweetybird

Star Member
Mar 31, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 9, 2014. Sponsor Approval : June 5, 2014
Doc's Request.
PGR: august 5, 2014
File Transfer...
June 5, 2014
Med's Done....
Feb 7, 2014
Passport Req..
October 24, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Decision made: Nov 6,2014
LANDED..........
Nov 20, 2014
jennymuffin19 said:
im canadian, my husband is mexican. ive been back and forth from canada to mexico the last couple years. i got pregnant april 2013. i started collecting maternity leave benefits september 2013. i applied for my mexican visa december 2013. the mexican visa office just told me that my resdiency in mexico has been approved. i am also in the process of trying to sponsor my husband to come to canada. my question is, will the immigration office i send the PR application to, care that i am collecting maternity benefits from outside canada? i know that it is allowed to collect maternity benefits from outside canada but it doesnt say anything about actually living outside of canada. im confused.
Hi was wondering if you could tell me what visa you need to live in mexico and what documents or how a canadian would apply for this. My husband is from Mexico and we are waiting for his permanent resident card but in the future we want to have living in Mexico an option. As it stands I can only enter as a visitor and stay 6 months. Thanks for your help.

kingfintan

Star Member
Jul 31, 2020
Hello, I wanna know if you were approved to sponsor your husband while you were on maternity leave.

DiiDii

Apr 8, 2019
Toronto Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Kingston VO
App. Filed.......
01-23-2020
AOR Received.
02-06-2020
File Transfer...
23-01-2021
Med's Request
18-09-2020
Med's Done....
23-09-2020
Passport Req..
13-07-2021
Hello, I wanna know if you were approved to sponsor your husband while you were on maternity leave.
You're asking people who haven't been on here since 2014. Easier to make a new thread. But I already answered your question on the previous one