+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my wife for PR

koxruz

Mar 27, 2023
I am a Canadian citizen living in US with my wife (who only holds an international passport) and I want to sponsor her for PR.
A couple of questions:

1. What happens if I don't move to Canada with her after she's accepted? Can it have any negative consequences on her status?
2. After becoming a PR, as long as she stays with me (a Citizen), her PR status would still be maintained even we live in US? i.e, she doesn't have to spend 3/5 years in Canada?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am a Canadian citizen living in US with my wife (who only holds an international passport) and I want to sponsor her for PR.
A couple of questions:

1. What happens if I don't move to Canada with her after she's accepted? Can it have any negative consequences on her status?
2. After becoming a PR, as long as she stays with me (a Citizen), her PR status would still be maintained even we live in US? i.e, she doesn't have to spend 3/5 years in Canada?
Then what's the point of sponsoring her now if you don't live in Canada with her? Why not later until you are willing to move?

koxruz

Mar 27, 2023
I wanted to be on the safe side rather than rush things at the last minute: if I don't have a job where I am not now or for whatever reason we have to move to Canada, I don't have to apply then and wait for the application to process, etc.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will likely have to present concrete proof that you will be relocating to Canada. No it is not guaranteed that time in the US accompanying a Canadian souse will count towards RO if you never lived in Canada and she has not accompanied you abroad.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
You will likely have to present concrete proof that you will be relocating to Canada. No it is not guaranteed that time in the US accompanying a Canadian souse will count towards RO if you never lived in Canada and she has not accompanied you abroad.
And nor it should be if they’ve never lived in Canada

Edmegbc

Star Member
Oct 11, 2023
You have to prove you intend to settle in Canada after PR as part of the application if you are a Cdn living outside Canada.

koxruz

Mar 27, 2023
what do you mean? How did someone become a Citizen without having lived there?

Anyways, I have lived in Canada long enough and here's where it says the person being sponsored living abroad with a citizen maintains their PR status: (except my spouse won't be "travelling" but rather living). Not sure I fully understand what's meant by travelling here...

https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1466&top=10

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Anyways, I have lived in Canada long enough and here's where it says the person being sponsored living abroad with a citizen maintains their PR status: (except my spouse won't be "travelling" but rather living). Not sure I fully understand what's meant by travelling here...

Someone can become a citizen without having lived there. For example, by descent.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Did you notice it says “may” and also that you are travel with your citizen spouse which typcially implies traveling out of Canada where you lived with your spouse.

IRCC now requires proof that you will be relocating to Canada to sponsor your spouse because so many people didn’t relocate to Canada. If you are not relocating to Canada there is zero need for your spouse to get PR.

If you research this more you will see the word accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse mentioned to count days out of Canada towards RO. You have to be living in Canada first to actually accompany a spouse abroad.