+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring My US Husband

tekoya

Feb 3, 2014
Hello,

Me and my husband from the United States got married recently, and I want to sponsor him to become a permanent resident in Canada.

1) Do the medical examination and police certificates need to come with the sponsorship applications? They're supposed to have a validity date of twelve months and three months respectively, so would it be best to send them later? Would there be any further delays because of this?

2) I am a dependent child. Our parents agree to support us financially, but this means we have no personal income. Should we include a signed letter that our families agree to support us? Would this cause any other issues in sponsorship?

3) He is under 22 and was a student, but he hasn't been able to attend university for a year. Does he count as a dependent child?

4) What is the right of permanent residence fee? We're aware of the processing fee for the Sponsor, the principal applicant, and the right of permanent residence fee; are there any more that would apply to us?

5) About how long are the processing times for a spouse outside of Canada? We've heard of it taking anywhere from four to nine months, and the CIC website tells us of a two step process where it will take me 33 days, and his nearest VISA office (New York) will take 22 months. Are the 33 days counted from when they recieve the application, or from when they start working on it?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Congratulations on your recent marriage!

1. It sounds like, based on the information you have in question 5, that you are applying Outland, correct?
If so, you really should submit medical and FBI PCC (as well as PCC from any other country, if any, where your husband has lived for 6 months or more since age 18) with the Outland application. Failure to do so, could result in your application being deemed incomplete and returned to you.

2. Yes. While there are no real income requirements for you as his sponsor, you must show CIC how you will be able to support yourself and your husband until he is able to work in Canada, should he chose to do so.

3. I'll defer this to others answer.

4. The RPRF is the $490 payment that you've already mentioned. Your total fees would be $75 + $550 +$490 = $1040.

5. Outland applications for Americans are usually processed through CPC-O (Ottawa), which means that most complete the entire process in < 12 months.

Keep in mind that if you apply Outland, you can both still be physically present [together] in Canada, provided he has legal visitor status and maintains it throughout...which seems pretty easy to do.

Good luck!

tekoya

Feb 3, 2014
Ponga said:
1. It sounds like, based on the information you have in question 5, that you are applying Outland, correct?
If so, you really should submit medical and FBI PCC (as well as PCC from any other country, if any, where your husband has lived for 6 months or more since age 18) with the Outland application. Failure to do so, could result in your application being deemed incomplete and returned to you.
Thank you for your quick response!

Yes, we are applying with the outland application.

I am just curious about your answer for the first question. Since the FBI PCC is only valid for 3 months would there be any problems if it expired before they completed the whole process? Also, does it really take 16-18 weeks as the website states?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
tekoya said:
Thank you for your quick response!

Yes, we are applying with the outland application.

I am just curious about your answer for the first question. Since the FBI PCC is only valid for 3 months would there be any problems if it expired before they completed the whole process? Also, does it really take 16-18 weeks as the website states?
That expiry date only applies in terms of getting it to CIC in your application. Once it is in their hands, there shouldn't be a problem. No, they don't take that long, I think it has been running somewhere between 8-10 weeks recently. It used to be 6 weeks, but they got a little backed up. You would be best suited to look on the FBI website itself to find the timeline.