+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my Spouse, Please help me :)

ChristineK

Sep 13, 2013
Hello, I am a Canadian citizen(currently in Canada), and want to sponsor my spouse from another country(he is from and currently resides in Tunisia), I am confused, because I tried to understand the paperwork, and from what I understood that I should send his application for permanent residence along with my application for sponsorship. However, my husband told me he thinks he is supposed to apply for the permanent residence card from where he lives, AFTER I have had my sponsorship application approved. And that he cannot apply for the permanent residence card until the sponsorship app is approved. I thought I send it all together at the same time from where I live, am I wrong? We are both trying to figure this out. I want him to get here as soon as possible because I am pregnant with our first child, and we both want him to be here for the birth.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
ChristineK said:
Hello, I am a Canadian citizen(currently in Canada), and want to sponsor my spouse from another country(he is from and currently resides in Tunisia), I am confused, because I tried to understand the paperwork, and from what I understood that I should send his application for permanent residence along with my application for sponsorship. However, my husband told me he thinks he is supposed to apply for the permanent residence card from where he lives, AFTER I have had my sponsorship application approved. And that he cannot apply for the permanent residence card until the sponsorship app is approved. I thought I send it all together at the same time from where I live, am I wrong? We are both trying to figure this out. I want him to get here as soon as possible because I am pregnant with our first child, and we both want him to be here for the birth.
Hi

He will need to send you his part and then everything is sent together to Mississauga. When you are approved to sponsor, they forward the application to Paris (responsible for Tunisian PR apps). When he is approved, they will request his passport, stamp it with a visa and return it to him with his Confirmation of Permanent Residence, COPR. He then lands in Canada as a PR and his PR card will be mailed to his Canadian address.

Sorry to tell you that there is very little chance that he will be in Canada in time for the birth. It will take you around a month to get the app together and a month for sponsor approval. Paris has a posted processing time of 9 months and non visa-exempt applicants tend to take at least the full time. So you're looking at around a year at least.

Start here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp. Read the guides and forms thoroughly.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ChristineK said:
You mail the entire package (sponsor and applicant) together to CPC-Mississauga. After sponsorship is approved, they will then mail the rest of the package to your outland visa office (for Tunisia would be Paris).

If you are just starting the paperwork process, you have a long way to go. It usually takes at least a month or longer to collect all the necessary police reports, gather docs and proofs, get medical done etc. So if you are already pregnant now, there is practically no chance his PR will be ready before you give birth. Especially with the strike still going on.

He should also apply for a TRV to visit Canada if he wants to be here for the birth.

yippee

Oct 30, 2012
mabrouk congrats on your pregnancy! Just to shed a little hope regarding the timing, I'll share that my husband and I applied late January 2013, and he received his passport request in mid July - he's Algerian and his case was processed in Paris.

ChristineK

Sep 13, 2013
and thank you for the hope of earlier processing ahahahah. Hope is something I always like to have. I know it might take longer, but I know it might also not be so long. Congrats for you and your husband that you can be together ^_^