sent with app.
Med's Done....
03-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
Medical Exam after 12 month mark:

Will a request for a new medical exam be sent or emailed at the 12 month mark? I read somewhere about medical a being extended, etc.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
Korea2Canada said:
Medical Exam after 12 month mark:

Will a request for a new medical exam be sent or emailed at the 12 month mark? I read somewhere about medical a being extended, etc.
My wife got the re-med request by email at the 12 month + 2 week mark. I read they could be extended too, but it didn't happen in our case.

Korea2Canada

Mar 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05- 2013
Doc's Request.
18-11- 2013
AOR Received.
29-05-2013
File Transfer...
30-05-2013
Med's Request
sent with app.
Med's Done....
03-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
Wonderful! More fees and time chasing documents! When does the fun end? Any other docs. time sensitive?

CanNZ

Mar 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-13
AOR Received.
10-07-13
File Transfer...
22-07-13
Med's Request
Sent with app.
Med's Done....
14-06-13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2015
LANDED..........
07-03-2015
Nope just the meds. The others were valid for 3 months but as long as cic got them within that period we are okay.

The wait is just ridiculous though.

seoulcanada

Star Member
Sep 20, 2013
PatientCanuck said:
So for anyone else in a position similar to mine who is in a blackhole of no information, I would suggest contacting your MP first and foremost, they seem to get amswers quicker, albeit not exceptionally detailed ones.
From what you said, they didn't get you any answer at all...they just told you to keep waiting and contact them again later. From the answer they gave you, they did not contact manilla VO at all. Maybe push them to send out a probe...

Jun 20, 2013
bartjones said:
My wife got the re-med request by email at the 12 month + 2 week mark. I read they could be extended too, but it didn't happen in our case.
When we were completing the application we called the hospital in Haeundae to do the medical check. The secretary said not to do it until they request it because with the delays in processing we'd probably have to do it again.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
Who_is_Your_Daddy? said:
When we were completing the application we called the hospital in Haeundae to do the medical check. The secretary said not to do it until they request it because with the delays in processing we'd probably have to do it again.
You can try doing it that way, but since the medical is a required document on the checklist, you run the risk that your application will be returned as incomplete.

Marticus

Star Member
Dec 16, 2013
Daegu, South Korea
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-01-2014
Doc's Request.
09-07-2014
AOR Received.
13-02-2014
Med's Done....
31-12-2013
Interview........
N/R
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2014
LANDED..........
16-09-2014
We also tried to deal with the secretary staff at the immigration-allocated hospital (the only one in Busan) and they were all full of misinformation. They told us that we should NOT do the medical until immigration requested it and would send us a form.

We found out that, indeed, this was the least efficient way of doing the medical. We ended up going to Seoul, where the doctor printed out my wife an E-Medical form (online, linked to CIC) and sent it in with our application)

Long story, short, I would recommend calling a different allocated hospital, Haeundae seems a little misinformed.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
pcsong said:
Hi Rob from T.O... or anyone else from Toronto.

Can you please recommend me a good translator located in Toronto?

Also, this may be a big time noob question but can someone please clarify if the translation services provide the notarization? Or is that strictly with the embassy?
I can't recall the details of the lawyer we used for translating, as my wife arranged it all. I just remember he was located on Dufferin inbetween Finch and Steeles, and for 3 pages of translations he charged $100 total. If you're interested, send me a PM and i'll ask the wife if she can get his contact info.

Typically a translator will provide a translation, and also a certification/stamp that the translation is true. For Korean applicants I think all documents needing translations should be originals, so really no other notary services should be required.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
bartjones said:
You can try doing it that way, but since the medical is a required document on the checklist, you run the risk that your application will be returned as incomplete.
Yes indeed, I would recommend to always to the medical exam up-front.
Anytime CIC needs to request something of you (such as to do a medical), they could potentially put your application on hold for months. So it's best to submit as complete an app as possible, with the risk that you will need to re-do medicals later on.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
Rob_TO said:
Yes indeed, I would recommend to always to the medical exam up-front.
Anytime CIC needs to request something of you (such as to do a medical), they could potentially put your application on hold for months. So it's best to submit as complete an app as possible, with the risk that you will need to re-do medicals later on.
I agree. Up front is the surest route and having to do it again isn't that big a deal. But, I spoke to our lawyer about this when they requested the re-medical for my wife. He says that these days, he is telling clients who are going through Manilla to do the medical later and most (but not all) of the time the applications are not returned. I guess it's a bit of a crap-shoot and certainly the safest route is do it up front.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
I Thought I'd post an update on the odyssey my wife's PR application has become.

As most of you who have been following this thread know, my wife has a DUI conviction from Korea that wasn't disclosed on the initial CHIR we had done when we submitted her PR application. When we found out about it in August 2013, I consulted a lawyer. He's an old university friend of mine who used to work for the old Immigration Appeal Board before opening his own immigration practice in the early 1990s.

He felt the situation could go one of two ways. He said, CIC could simply reject her application immediately due to her criminality issue and we could then appeal and likely succeed on H&R grounds. Alternatively, the VO might wait until December 2013 at which point my wife would be become eligible for Criminal Rehabilitation and CIC would ask us to submit such an application in order to overcome her DUI conviction and pave the way for granting her PR. So, we waited. Since she had the criminality issue she had no entitlement to a visitor's visa, so we applied for a TRP through Vegereville in September 2013.. That gave her implied status to stay here with me.

The first day my wife was eligible for Criminal Rehabilitation was December 20th, 2013. On December 20th I get an email from CIC. This time they requested the court documents underlying her DUI conviction. I thought this was a good sign and that they were probably going to request an application for Criminal Rehabilitation next. I thought it would save time if I just went ahead and submitted it now. I got all the requested court documents sent to Manila from Korea and in late January I finally got all the documents necessary for the Criminal Rehabilitation application and submitted that to Manila as well. Their website doesn't provide any information about how long it takes to process a Criminal Rehabilitation application, but CIC's website says it can take up to a year. It seemed we'd be in for a long wait, but my wife was still here and we expected her TRP application would be allowed and we would just wait it out here in Canada.

In late January we received a letter from CIC telling us that her application for a TRP had been refused. Notwithstanding the fact that at the time my wife originally entered Canada we had a CHIR that said she was conviction free, the VO said in the letter that he felt she had misrepresented herself to CBSA upon entering Canada and that he was forwarding a copy of the refusal letter to CBSA for "possible removal proceedings". The letter did not ask her to leave, but since she no longer had any status to remain here and I didn't want to spend the next six months waiting for some CBSA agents to knock on my door, we felt that it would probably be best if she left Canada voluntarily. She has a B1/B2 visa for the US and family in Michigan, so we were going to leave the following week. The day before our planned departure, we got an email from Manila requesting a re-medical. The first available panel physician appointment in this area was Feb. 13. She did her re-med that day and on Feb. 14 I drove her down to Michigan. It was a pretty crappy Valentine's Day.

I had read on CIC's website that last summer CIC began allowing people with single DUI convictions to apply for a TRP at a port of entry. On the way back from Michigan, I decided to see if I they would allow me to go into CIC's office at the Detroit Windsor Tunnel and speak to an immigration officer there about the situation. I was hoping to feel them out as to whether they would be inclined to grant her a TRP there. The CBSA agent at the border allowed me to go into the CIC office at the border crossing and I spoke to an officer there. I explained our situation, gave him my wife's UCI number and he punched her file up on the computer. He told me to go have a seat while he reviewed it all.

Ten minutes later he called me back up and said that he was having some difficulty understanding why she had been denied a TRP, but the fact was, she had been refused and not much could be done about it now. He said that her best strategy would be to submit an application for Criminal Rehabilitation at Detroit/Windsor. I told him that I had no idea that it was even possible to submit one at a port of entry and had just submitted one to Manila, to which he responded "Jeez, you'll be waiting a while on that". He said that Criminal Rehabilitation applications could be submitted in person by an applicant at a point of entry and that they typically processed them at Detroit/Windsor in 4-6 weeks, often quicker. Once processed, she would be able to re-enter Canada as a visitor and the impediment holding up her PR application would be removed. He also said that, although there were no guarantees, once the Criminal Rehabilitation application was submitted, they could also reconsider her TRP application because she had now taken additional steps to resolve her criminality issue. I left there feeling pretty good about the chances of getting my wife back into Canada sooner than later.

I started gathering the documents for the second Criminal Rehabilitation application the next day. I finally got it all together and last Monday I picked up my wife in Michigan and took her to CIC's office at the tunnel. Incredibly, I got the exact same officer I had spoken to on Feb. 14th. He didn't remember me. I submitted the application for Criminal Rehabilitation and told him that we would also like to request a TRP. Again, he told us to go have a seat. He started going over the application, making a bunch of notes and then disappeared into a back room for five minutes. About twenty minutes later he called me back up to the desk and said he would not give her a TRP. I asked him why, and he said that she had recently been refused a TRP and he was not going to overturn another VO's ruling. I reminded him that he had told me the month before that the submission of the Criminal Rehabilitation application would change things and allow them to reconsider on the TRP. He wouldn't budge, I was getting pretty pissed and pressed the point further. He told me not to be too concerned about the TRP because he had done this; he had reviewed her application for Criminal Rehabilitation on the spot and recommended it be approved. He had taken the application to the director of his office, explained our situation and asked that they expedite the processing of it. He assured us that my wife would receive a phone call, probably before the end of the week asking her to come back for an interview. If the interview went well, he said the Criminal Rehabilitation certificate would probably be issued on the spot, she would be given a visitor's record and could come back home with me. He said he was confident she would be back in Canada by the end of this week or early next week. He gave me a phone number I could call at their office to get updates on the situation.

My wife was in tears, having expected to be able to return with me that day, however I was hopeful that we would be able to get her back in the following week. It's now Thursday and we haven't heard a word from Detroit/Windsor.

There is an interesting footnote to this story. As we were leaving CIC the officer gave me a form that he said we would need to show the US border guys when we re-entered the US. It just stated that my wife had not actually entered Canada and had only come to CIC for a meeting. There was a box on the form that said "Purpose of Meeting" and the CIC officer had written "Submit Crim Rehab App".

At the US border I handed our passports and the CIC document to the border guard. He looked at my wife's passport and then the CIC paper. He asked "What does this mean 'Crim Rehab App'?". I told him that she had an old DUI conviction in South Korea, was therefore inadmissible to Canada and had been at immigration to file an application which would allow her to enter the country. He looked incredulous and said "One DUI and she can't enter Canada?". I told him that was the law in Canada. He was looking a little skeptical. He then looked at my passport and said "Well. Who are you?" I told him I was her husband. He was now looking even more skeptical and asked "I don't understand. Where do you live?". I told him I lived in Canada and there then ensued this very long intense staring contest between us. It was pretty clear from the look on his face that he wasn't believing this story and suspected her conviction was for something more serious. Following the staring contest that seemed to last an eternity, he then said "You mean to tell me, that you're a Canadian citizen, living in Canada and your wife can't come live with you because of one old DUI conviction". I told him that was correct. More staring. Finally he says "You've got to be kidding me". I assured him that I wasn't. More staring. He then shook his head in disbelief, handed me back our passports, said "You folks have a nice day" and sent us on our way.

I was pretty worried there for a minute. I wasn't sure what would happen if he didn't allow us back into the states. It's not like we could turn around and go back to Canada. I guess we would have ended up like Tom Hanks in that movie "The Terminal". Stuck between two countries with nowhere to go.

Anyway, hopefully things get straightened around for my wife soon. I'll keep you all posted.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
bartjones said:
There is an interesting footnote to this story. As we were leaving CIC the officer gave me a form that he said we would need to show the US border guys when we re-entered the US. It just stated that my wife had not actually entered Canada and had only come to CIC for a meeting. There was a box on the form that said "Purpose of Meeting" and the CIC officer had written "Submit Crim Rehab App".

At the US border I handed our passports and the CIC document to the border guard. He looked at my wife's passport and then the CIC paper. He asked "What does this mean 'Crim Rehab App'?". I told him that she had an old DUI conviction in South Korea, was therefore inadmissible to Canada and had been at immigration to file an application which would allow her to enter the country. He looked incredulous and said "One DUI and you can't enter Canada?". I told him that was the law in Canada. He was looking a little confused. He then looked at my passport and said "Well. Who are you?" I told him I was her husband. He was now looking even more confused and asked "I don't understand. Where do you live?". I told him I lived in Canada and there then ensued this very long intense staring contest between us. It was pretty clear from the look on his face that he wasn't believing this story and suspected her conviction was for something more serious. Following the staring contest that seemed to last an eternity, he then said "You mean to tell me, that you're a Canadian citizen, living in Canada and your wife can't come live with you because of one old DUI conviction". I told him that was correct. More staring. Finally he says "You've got to be kidding me". I assured him that I wasn't. More staring. He then shook his head, handed me back our passports, said "You folks have a nice day" and sent us on our way.
That is interesting. I wonder if the US is actually more lax about things like this. The perception in Canada is that US immigration is much tougher and Canada is much more welcoming...

anyway good luck with everything!

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
keesio said:
That is interesting. I wonder if the US is actually more lax about things like this. The perception in Canada is that US immigration is much tougher and Canada is much more welcoming...

anyway good luck with everything!
Thanks. Yeah, believe me, I checked it all out first before we left Canada.When it comes to criminality, the Americans apply what they call the "moral turpitude" test. They're looking for offences that suggest some lack of moral character and don't regard a single DUI as rendering you inadmissible. The Canadian Immigration Act however makes no distinction between a person with a DUI and a bank robber. Any criminal conviction makes you inadmissible.

automaton82

Aug 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V // CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2013
AOR Received.
28-01-2014
Med's Done....
Sent with app
Interview........
AIP 30-04-2015 // DM 06-05-2015
LANDED..........
19-05-2015 // PR card 28-08-2015
bartjones said:
I Thought I'd post an update on the odyssey my wife's PR application has become.

As most of you who have been following this thread know, my wife has a DUI conviction from Korea that wasn't disclosed on the initial CHIR we had done when we submitted her PR application. When we found out about it in August 2013, I consulted a lawyer. He's an old university friend of mine who used to work for the old Immigration Appeal Board before opening his own immigration practice in the early 1990s.

I am very sorry to hear this, and this is the most frustrating story I have ever heard in my life. I love Canada, but I hate our government. And this is just fueling my hatred.

I hope it gets resolved soon. Stick with it!