+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Japanese citizen through the Manila office - please share!

gt_65

Dec 17, 2013
Hello
For anyone sponsoring their Japanese spouse and processing outland applications through the Manila VO, can you please share your timeline/experience?
Also, did you have a PPR (passport request) or is Japan exempt?

Thanks!

roomonfire23

Mar 8, 2013
It took us a little over a year (including the strike last summer). Probably would have been closer to 8-9 months without the strike.

You won't have to send a passport, because Japan is visa exempt.

gt_65

Dec 17, 2013
Thanks for the reply!
Does that include the 1 month for sponsorship?

Did your application go straight to Decision Made?

scosan

Star Member
Oct 27, 2013
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 24 2012
Doc's Request.
May 15 2013
File Transfer...
Nov 5, 2012
Med's Request
remeds: Oct 15, 2013
Med's Done....
sent with app (original)
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 1, 2014
LANDED..........
March 28, 2014 (Calgary)
We're at 15 months and counting. I'm beginning to lose patience. When we applied in Sept 2012 the wait time was listed at 9 months. Then the strike. Then expired medicals. Now the holidays and Yolanda victims (no problem with that but put some more damn resources into it!). Going to see my member of parliament on January 2.

gt_65

Dec 17, 2013
Wow! That's insane -especially since there are so many applications after yours that have already been approved for Visa's. Your spouse is a Japanese citizen? Are you both living in Japan?

scosan

Star Member
Oct 27, 2013
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 24 2012
Doc's Request.
May 15 2013
File Transfer...
Nov 5, 2012
Med's Request
Med's Done....
sent with app (original)
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 1, 2014
LANDED..........
March 28, 2014 (Calgary)
Yes, my wife is Japanese. We have been married 12 years with 2 children who are now Canadian citizens (born in USA). We lived in California for 11 years and are now in Alberta. You're right there are many many applications which have been approved after ours, some from the spring. There is no real reason for our delay - all you'll get out of them is that 'each application is different'. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the oil; it's like they forget about your application until you remind them that you're still waiting!

JRPW

Star Member
Jul 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Med's Request
2013 (re-med)
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
scosan,

I know how you feel. My Japanese wife and I have been waiting since October 2012. We got tired of waiting in Japan, so we decided to come back to Canada to wait out the process. When we landed at Calgary on December 4, the immigration agent took pity on us, I think, and gave my wife a one year visitors visa. My wife just had her re-med last Saturday. Tell me how the meeting goes with your MP. I have been in contact with mine, but nothing has really come of it. I hope the VOs are enjoying their pay raises that they thought they "deserved."

ksin86

Oct 8, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Manila
App. Filed.......
29-06-2020
Thanks for all the info guys.

We just sent ours on December 2nd. It was received as per tracking on December 5th.

I'm Canadian (parents are Japanese), she's Japanese (born in Japan). We both met in Canada and then moved to Japan.
Been living together for the past couple years and send application in as common-law status. I'm assuming our status won't affect our application too much.

No AOR yet. See how it goes!

scosan

Star Member
Oct 27, 2013
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 24 2012
Doc's Request.
May 15 2013
File Transfer...
Nov 5, 2012
Med's Request
Med's Done....
sent with app (original)
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 1, 2014
LANDED..........
March 28, 2014 (Calgary)
JRPW,

Your application is not far behind mine. At least we know there is some consistency in the ridiculous amount of time this has taken. One positive is that visitor visa renewals have been easy. We just received a 1 year extension. (God help us if it takes that long). The part that ticks me off the most is we are paying for a service we're not getting - pretty fed up with this whole process. It would be very nice to get Alberta health care. Someone took pity on my wife at the DMV and gave her a 1 year drivers license though! (her California license was about to expire).

Scosan

JRPW

Star Member
Jul 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Med's Request
2013 (re-med)
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
ksin86,

No worries. We received our AOR after a month (that's the average processing time). After that, nothing until May 2013 when Manila needed more docs. This whole process has been frustrating.

JRPW

Star Member
Jul 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Med's Request
2013 (re-med)
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
scosan,

Yep, I know. You would think that the visa-exempt countries that have to send their applications to Manila (Japan, South Korea) would get their visas processed faster.

gt_65

Dec 17, 2013
Scosan, Ksin86 - so very frustrating! Feeling for you and keeping my fingers crossed you won't have to wait much longer.

Tanli

Jan 8, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 15 2013
Doc's Request.
Apr 2014
File Transfer...
Aug 15 2013
Med's Request
Feb 27 2015
Med's Done....
June 2013, Mar 2 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Apr 6 2015
LANDED..........
soon!
Hi I'm Canadian and sponsoring my Japanese husband through the Manilla visa office.

Our application to sponsor was received by Mississauga on July 15th 2013 and I was approved as a sponsor on Aug 15th 2013. The email they sent said they would transfer our file to Manilla. Since then we have not heard anything. I emailed them in October to see if Manilla had received our application and they sent us an automated response that because we are still within the standard waiting period we cannot ask any questions about our application. It's very frustrating and ridiculous that we have to wait 14 months before I can ask the question of whether or not they received our file. I have a feeling that our application is either lost in the mail or sitting on a shelf collecting dust. Can someone with experience tell me if they will send us an email when Manilla starts processing my husbands application? It's been 5 months now and no word.