hi every one,
i am a permanent resident since 2009 living in ontario
i hv already applied for citizenship,its in process now
my grand parents and parents are deceased,
i hv no spouse or kids.am single,
i hv one younger brother in back home who is married n has 3 kids
he is 36
he is the only sibbling i have.
i dont have any relative across canada.am all alone here.
during last 4 months i contacted cic 2 times n askd thm whether i am eligible to sponsor my married brother or not?(i gave them all details)
both times they said yes u r eligible and even they have send me application form with other details
and they also made it very clear tht its upto me whether i want to sponsor my brother's all family(wife n kids) or only just my brother
cz if i sponsor only my brother,according to income table of cic, i need only $ 30000 income to be eligible,otherwise for his whole family i ll need $ 60000.

but the problem is when i ask any immigration lawyer abt my case,they say tht cic call attendents doesent knw abt correct info
and they have given me wrong info
i cant sponsor married brother who is over 18

now thts wht confusing me who is correct?
whom shud i rely?
hope to get an exact answer from experience member asap
plz ask any question if u want to knw abt my sitiuation
waiting for reply

Nica_2012

Nov 1, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear torontostar76,

Yes you can sponsor your younger brother, regardless of age, if you are single, never married, not in a common law relationship, no parents and grandparents, no relatives and you are living alone in Canada.

We are in the same situation. I just sponsored my only brother(sibling) and hopefully his family will be approved too. I mailed my application to CIC Mississauga July of this year, received mail on September to submit family information sheet (3 generation family tree), got response on email for my sponsorship approval last month (October). Stated in the email is that the file of my brother was already forwarded to Canadian Embassy in Manila, Philippines.

You have to meet the minimum necessary income of $56,209 (based on the low income cut-off table) for a family size of 6, if you are going to sponsor your brother, his wife and 3 children, and you have to count yourself as the sponsor. This income requirement is effective until December 31, 2014. Starting January 1, 2015, the income requirement will be increased by 30%, so it will become $73k. If you fell short on your income from the past year, there is another option to compute your income. See the financial evaluation form so you will be guided.

Also the age of the dependent child was just changed from 22 to 19 years old on August 1, 2014. The reason I submitted my application on July because the eldest daughter of my brother is already 21.

I wish you good luck on your application. Hope our dream to sponsor our brothers will come true. It is just so hard to be alone here.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Note that the "family size" doesn't reduce if you only sponsor your brother. You still have to include all his dependants in the calculation, even if they are non-accompanying. So, it's a family of 6.

torontostar76

Oct 22, 2014
but zardoz cic said if i only sponsor my brother then i have to meet requirement of 2 family members which is $ 30000
thts wht i hv been told by cic. dont knw wht to do..
if i apply in feb or march 2015
do i need to show last 12 month income from the date of application or last tax assessment is acceptable ?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
torontostar76 said:
but zardoz cic said if i only sponsor my brother then i have to meet requirement of 2 family members which is $ 30000
thts wht i hv been told by cic. dont knw wht to do..
if i apply in feb or march 2015
do i need to show last 12 month income from the date of application or last tax assessment is acceptable ?
See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5196ETOC.asp

How to calculate the family size?

The size of the family determines the amount of income you need to make to sponsor. Use this table below to assist you in calculating the size of your family:

Count:

yourself,
your spouse or common-law partner and
dependent children, if applicable. See the “Definition of dependent child (types 1 and 2)”
Note: Dependent children who meet this definition must be included in the calculation, even if you as a sponsor do not have custody nor provide child support.

Count:

the number of persons you are now sponsoring and
all family members of that person, whether or not they are accompanying.

Count the number of persons covered by other valid undertakings you have made or co-signed in the past.
If you have a co-signer, count all persons covered by still valid undertakings made or co-signed by your co-signer.
Calculate the number of persons covered in steps 1 to 4. The total represents the family size
Look at the Income tables and charts at the end of this guide to help you decide if you have the financial ability to meet sponsorship requirements. Note that your calculations will only be an estimate.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Zardoz is correct about the family size. If you called the CIC Call Centre for advice - you should know they give out incorrect information frequently.

You need to be making enough income to cover a family size of yourself + your brother + his wife + any of their children who are under 19 years old.

It doesn't matter whether the whole family is coming to Canada or just your brother. Yes - it's certainly up to you if you only sponsor your brother or his whole family. However you must still have enough income to cover his whole family or your application is going to be refused.

torontostar76

Oct 22, 2014
in last 3 days i hv met 2 different immigration lawyers
even an hour ago i had an appointment with a lawyer
both are confident tht there is no way i can sponsor my brother coz he is married and over 18
they say its not a matter of less or more income
they say cic has given me wrong information
am confused guys dont knw wht do now

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
torontostar76 said:
in last 3 days i hv met 2 different immigration lawyers
even an hour ago i had an appointment with a lawyer
both are confident tht there is no way i can sponsor my brother coz he is married and over 18
they say its not a matter of less or more income
they say cic has given me wrong information
am confused guys dont knw wht do now
This is known as the "lonely Canadian" rule, which allows someone in your situation (with no spouse, kids or family in Canada and parents deceased) to sponsor any 1 relative and their dependents. Under the lonely Canadian rule, the age of relative you are choosing to sponsor does not matter. Read here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/relatives-apply-who.asp

You can sponsor one relative of any age or relationship, but only if you do not have one of these living relatives who could be sponsored as a member of the family class:

spouse or common-law partner,
conjugal partner,
son or daughter,
parent,
grandparent,
sibling, or
uncle, aunt, nephew or niece, and
you do not have any relative who is a:

Canadian citizen,
permanent resident or
registered Indian under the Indian Act.

Nica_2012

Nov 1, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear torontostar76,

You can actually do the filing of your brother's sponsorship and don't hire immigration lawyer. I did it myself. I read a couple of times CIC's website (SPONSOR A MEMBER OF THE FAMILY CLASS), you will be guided step by step on how to go through the application. Instruction guide IMM5196 will help you on how to fill up the forms you need to submit to CIC.

Like you, I was planning to apply for my brother next year. Good thing I heard about the new immigration laws on LICO and dependants age limit. So I quickly acted on it, giving me many weeks of sleepless nights filling up the forms and gathering documents.

There are 2 ways in calculating your income. First, calculation of income based on OPTION C PRINTOUT. Second, calculation of income based on the preceeding 12 months.

As I said on my previous post, if you fell short on your income last year (based on option C printout), you can use the second option in calculating your income. For example, you are planning to apply for the sponsorship of your brother on February 2015, you have to send to the immigration all your paystubs from February 2014 until February 2015 (income you earned from employment in the 12 months preceding your application on which you received or will receive a T4), and if you are earning interest income (like RRSP and TFSA which earn interest), you can add it up to meet the minimum income requirement. If it is possible for you to apply for your brother before the year ends, please do so, because next year LICO will increase by 30%. I don't know why it is so hard for single people like us, who does not have any relatives here, to reunite with our families. Married people are luckier than us because they can sponsor their spouses and children without the income requirement. Honestly, the income requirement is just too big to raise for an ordinary worker like us. Do not loose hope. Work hard for your dream to someday reunite with your only brother. It is not an easy journey for me here, my best weapon is prayer. I wish you will achieve your dream for your family. My empathy.

torontostar76

Oct 22, 2014
thanx dear nica each n every word u have written to me
i realy appreciate tht
all my prayers n best wishes r with u
i knw i can do it myself but the only reason i met lawyers to make it confirm whether am eligible or not

if u visit website,it says alot,i dont knw whether am not getting the right point
at the end it is mention tht over 18 brother or sister cannot be sponsored
regarding other relative it says
You can sponsor one relative of any age or relationship, but only if you do not have one of these living relatives who could be sponsored as a member of the family class:
conjugal partner,
son or daughter,
parent,
grandparent,
sibling, or
uncle, aunt, nephew or niece,

surly i hv living nephews,
it makes me not eligible to sponsor
below are the actual words from website
if anyone can get the right point plz letme knw
sorry to bother u guys

Who you can sponsor

You can sponsor:

brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces, or grandchildren who are orphaned, are under 18 and do not have a spouse or common-law partner,
relatives of the above (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children) who will come with them to Canada, or

conjugal partner,
son or daughter,
parent,
grandparent,
sibling, or

Canadian citizen,
permanent resident or

Who you cannot sponsor

You cannot sponsor other relatives, such as brothers and sisters over 18, or adult children who support themselves financially. If they apply to immigrate under the Skilled Worker Class, they may get extra points for having a relative in Canada.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

torontostar76 said:
thanx dear nica each n every word u have written to me
i realy appreciate tht
all my prayers n best wishes r with u
i knw i can do it myself but the only reason i met lawyers to make it confirm whether am eligible or not

if u visit website,it says alot,i dont knw whether am not getting the right point
at the end it is mention tht over 18 brother or sister cannot be sponsored
regarding other relative it says
conjugal partner,
son or daughter,
parent,
grandparent,
sibling, or
uncle, aunt, nephew or niece,

surly i hv living nephews,
it makes me not eligible to sponsor
below are the actual words from website
if anyone can get the right point plz letme knw
sorry to bother u guys

Who you can sponsor

You can sponsor:

brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces, or grandchildren who are orphaned, are under 18 and do not have a spouse or common-law partner,
relatives of the above (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children) who will come with them to Canada, or

conjugal partner,
son or daughter,
parent,
grandparent,
sibling, or

Canadian citizen,
permanent resident or

Who you cannot sponsor

You cannot sponsor other relatives, such as brothers and sisters over 18, or adult children who support themselves financially. If they apply to immigrate under the Skilled Worker Class, they may get extra points for having a relative in Canada.
1. You really don't understand the instructions. If your nieces/nephews/aunts/uncles DON"T live in Canada, you can still sponsor your brother, IF you meet the LICO for a family size of 6.