+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsering my spouse to Canada

Jassi02

Aug 11, 2009
Hello...
I have few queries regarding sponsering my husband to Canada. I am currently in India and need to do Landing for my PR to Canada and get PR card. While I am here, I am getting married and want my husband to join me there and need to sponser for him.
1) Should I report my status change while landing (going to Canada), Is it gonna effect my landing in any way?
2) If I report them about my status change, Is there possibility that I get my PR card late?
3) If I do landing without informing them about my status change, can I apply for my husband after I receive my PR card? Would they object why I didn't inform about my status change while landing?

Please advice whether getting married before having PR card will effect my and my spouse's PR ?

Regards,
Jas

GK

Dec 18, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2008
Passport Req..
20-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2008
LANDED..........
01-10-2008
If you get married before you land, you will have to inform CIC before landing and add your spouse to the application. Your spouse will have to complete medical and background checks. If you land without telling them about your status change you will be misrepresenting and you will not be able to sponsor your spouse. You will also get yourself into truble.

Jassi02

Aug 11, 2009
Thanks for replying. Would it delay the process of getting my PR card if I report my status change?If yes, how long it will take to get PR card for both of us.

Regards,
Jaspreet

mussaffir

Feb 7, 2009
Hi Jas

Well it most certain that u need to inform your local Canadian immigration office about your status change , failure in order to do so will certainly put u in to trouble at the time of landing in canada where u declare tht ur status is changed now frm single to married . I can say bc of a known case which happend to my friend who did the same he was given two option either to take next flight back home and file again with status update or either surrender the passport on arrival and fight your case in canada through lawyers which was pretty useless in the end as you will not be entitled to hold any bank account or so and since u r nt allowed to have any SIN no you can apply for any job .The safest thing is to inform the local immig office about the change in status , it might delay your case to about 1-2 yr but as you have to submit your spouse documents but you will be safe.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The thing is, if you apply as a single person, then get married and don't tell them, they see it as fraud. They will forbid you from ever sponsoring your husband in the future and they may even cancel your PR for having lied to them.

Knowing this, you have two options. You can get married now and let your local CIC office know that you got married. They will cancel your PR visa and add your husband to your file, get his medical and then issue new PR visas for you both. It will delay you, I don't know by how much but you can stay together and you can land together.

Your other option would be to postpone the wedding, go land as a single person and then go back and marry and then go back to Canada and sponsor your husband. You will be apart while the sponsorship goes through, 4-8 months because as a PR, you have to stay in Canada to sponsor and it's very unlikely that your husband would get a visit visa to join you earlier. Another problem with this is that if you marry right away after getting PR, immigration may still see it as a fraud. They will think, if you marry so soon, you must already have been in a serious relationship and you should have married before you landed and added your husband to your file. They might even ask for proof that you did not live with your husband before getting married to make sure that you did not classify as common law.

I would advise the first option as the better one.

Jassi02

Aug 11, 2009
Again I would like to thank all of you for your suggestions. Though, few more queries are still there ;)

I am looking at all the options:

1) Foremost one is I go back and get PR card, and then have to come
back by Feb March to get married and then apply for your PR

2) I get married here and report CIC office about my status and then
stay here till our case is processed and get visas for both of us.

Today I will call local CIC office and ask them . However however we can always tell them that its an arranged marriage and has been arranged by parents which is true.

Is the first option is better one?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I believe that the better option is to marry now and add your husband to your file.

cdarroch

Star Member
Jul 15, 2009
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05/02/10
Doc's Request.
29/07/10
Med's Done....
29/10/09
Not to hijack the thread, but I think my situation is similar - my girlfriend is on a plane right now to take a vacation in Canada on a TRV. I'm flying tomorrow (she doesn't know) and will propose to her - taking her completely by surprise. Scared of red flags/denials... any thoughts? Cheers!