+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

somebody help give advice for common law

amphibian

Nov 8, 2022
hello.

i want to sponsor my husband as common law. he has been a undocumented failed refugee for over 10 years since he was issued a deportation. we have children together and been hiding in fear

i want to sponsor him now but he does have criminality and inadmissibility. so i heard there is a application to file that ties common law and humanitarian and compassionate

please any advice welcome

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hello.

i want to sponsor my husband as common law. he has been a undocumented failed refugee for over 10 years since he was issued a deportation. we have children together and been hiding in fear

i want to sponsor him now but he does have criminality and inadmissibility. so i heard there is a application to file that ties common law and humanitarian and compassionate

please any advice welcome
If there is a criminality issues, then I would strongly recommend working with an immigration lawyer.

You can submit a regular sponsorship application and then request that it be processed with H&C considerations due to the criminality / inadmissibility issue.

Good luck. Again, I would go with a lawyer.

Reactions: YVR123

amphibian

Nov 8, 2022
thank you. its been super hard looking for reliable ones. weve paid so much for consultations with several lawyers but havent been aboe to secure a decent one

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Also, if your husband is your husband, you cannot sponsor him as your common-law partner, right? ;)

I echo @Naturgrl's suggestion of Cohen Immigration Law firm, but it's likely going to be an uphill battle, especially since he appears to be `Removal Ready' in the eyes of CBSA. An Inland sponsorship application's `Public Policy' for those without legal status, would not protect him from being removed.
Good luck!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Also, if your husband is your husband, you cannot sponsor him as your common-law partner, right? ;)

I echo @Naturgrl's suggestion of Cohen Immigration Law firm, but it's likely going to be an uphill battle, especially since he appears to be `Removal Ready' in the eyes of CBSA. An Inland sponsorship application's `Public Policy' for those without legal status, would not protect him from being removed.
Good luck!
IMO the no legal status / refused refugee claim bit can be overcome. Not saying it's a cake-walk, but it can be done. To me the bigger concern here is the mention of criminality & inadmissibility. If there's a criminality issue, depending on the nature of the issue, this may be a very big deal as it relates to the sponsorship application. Obviously difficult for any of us to comment without having any idea what this is and the details / seriousness.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IMO the no legal status / refused refugee claim bit can be overcome. Not saying it's a cake-walk, but it can be done. To me the bigger concern here is the mention of criminality & inadmissibility. If there's a criminality issue, depending on the nature of the issue, this may be a very big deal as it relates to the sponsorship application. Obviously difficult for any of us to comment without having any idea what this is and the details / seriousness.
Very true, but since the OP's husband (or partner) already has a deportation order, he is certainly deemed to be removal ready already right now...even before weighing the other issues that they are facing. All it might take is a routine encounter with law enforcement (simple traffic stop, for example).

Hopefully they will find a lawyer to help them choose the best option, ASAP!

Reactions: scylla

amphibian

Nov 8, 2022
thank you guys all for your advice

the deportation order was waived sometime around 9 years ago but due to bad advice we received we waited til now to try to get him legal status. again its been a uphill battle

we have received so many advice and consultation and are hoping we move forward