+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I get a private health insurance before I land in Canada as a new permanent resident?

MapleVivi

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
Hello,
I applied for a PR from outside of Canada, and now I am planning to land in Canada soon.
Can somebody tell me when I'll be eligible for the BC's health insurance? Should I get a private health insurance before I land in Canada? How do new permanent residents go about it?

Thank you in advance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,
I applied for a PR from outside of Canada, and now I am planning to land in Canada soon.
Can somebody tell me when I'll be eligible for the BC's health insurance? Should I get a private health insurance before I land in Canada? How do new permanent residents go about it?

Thank you in advance!
Yes you should take out private emergency insurance for up to the first 3 months. Any routine care would be out of pocket but would cover large unexpected expense.

Reactions: MapleVivi

ramz

Nov 7, 2014
For BC's health insurance, you'll usually have a 3-month waiting period before it kicks in, starting from the month you arrive. It's definitely a good idea to get private health insurance to cover you during that gap. I did the same when I moved, and it gave me peace of mind.

Reactions: Lord_Tony