+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RO pose or count?

Sarah2017

Star Member
Jun 29, 2017
Hello everyone,

I ahve a question..

Im a PR and I submitted pr card renewal under H&C ( death of my mother) and at the same time I submitted in Canada dependant child sponsorship- the child was born outside of Canada while I was visiting my mother.

The questions:
1- dose our time spent in Canada after submitting the card renewal counts towards RO?
2- What happened in case my application of the PR renew got refused ?
3- Dose having sponsorship application under process any effect on the PR renwal ?
Last how long the PR renewal would take ? it was submitted May 20th 2024

Thanks everyone

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

I ahve a question..

Im a PR and I submitted pr card renewal under H&C ( death of my mother) and at the same time I submitted in Canada dependant child sponsorship- the child was born outside of Canada while I was visiting my mother.

The questions:
1- dose our time spent in Canada after submitting the card renewal counts towards RO?
3- Dose having sponsorship application under process any effect on the PR renwal ?

Thanks everyone
1) Not for the purposes of the application you have already submitted
2) You will lose PR status and will need to appeal if you want to try to save your status
3) Not really. However if your renewal is refused then obviously the sponsorship will be too
4) It's very hard to say since you applied under H&C. Your application is non standard so normal processing times don't apply.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone,

I ahve a question..

The questions:

Thanks everyone
I'm sorry for the loss of your mother.

In the previous 5 years, how many days have you either spent in Canada, or abroad if living with a Canadian (citizen) spouse or common-law partner?

How close were you, to the required 730 day minimum to meet the R.O., when you submitted your renewal application?

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

I ahve a question..

The questions:

Thanks everyone
When exactly did your mother pass? Based on previous posts it may have been in 2021.

Sarah2017

Star Member
Jun 29, 2017
Thanks for your reply..

She passed away 08-2022 but we had to stay by her side as she was in palliative care for 7 months- which cause our daughter vusa to expired and the process time for a new visa took 2 years ! and we submitted all the support documents but I eas surprised that this may cause of loosing our PR status as my consultant didn't inform us

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for your reply..

She passed away 08-2022 but we had to stay by her side as she was in palliative care for 7 months- which cause our daughter vusa to expired and the process time for a new visa took 2 years ! and we submitted all the support documents but I eas surprised that this may cause of loosing our PR status as my consultant didn't inform us
Did your spouse return to Canada in 2022 or early 2023? When did you leave Canada and how much time did you spend in Canada after landing as PR? Was your mother requiring care that required you to leave Canada then? Applying for H&C was a risky proposition if you were able to enter Canada and not get reported.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone,

I ahve a question..

The questions:

Thanks everyone
3. It is best to be in compliance with the R.O. before submitting a sponsorship application for a child (or anyone).

Again, how short were you (regarding the required minimum of 730 days in Canada) when you submitted the PR Card renewal application?

Reactions: canuck78 and scylla

a1s2h3

Jul 22, 2024
Hello,
I got my PR in 2019 and its expiry this year dec, however, I am not fulfilling the residency obligation as I escaped a domestic violence from my spouse.
I had to seek shelter and so I travelled to my family, Now I am financially stable and looking back to move to Canada, how Can I renew my PR and start to move there?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello,
I got my PR in 2019 and its expiry this year dec, however, I am not fulfilling the residency obligation as I escaped a domestic violence from my spouse.
I had to seek shelter and so I travelled to my family, Now I am financially stable and looking back to move to Canada, how Can I renew my PR and start to move there?
Return to Canada before your card expires and then stay.

a1s2h3

Jul 22, 2024
Return to Canada before your card expires and then stay.
Thanks for the reply, i am going to graduate in next year from mcmasters and cant return to Canada at the moment as I have a work contract in my country. How can I attend my graduation after the expiry and I am also planning to give my practical PCE during that visit. But not at the moment, what alternatives do I have? I have lived in Canada for 436 days only...

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for the reply, i am going to graduate in next year from mcmasters and cant return to Canada at the moment as I have a work contract in my country. How can I attend my graduation after the expiry and I am also planning to give my practical PCE during that visit. But not at the moment, what alternatives do I have? I have lived in Canada for 436 days only...
After it expires, it becomes FAR more difficult and risky and you may lose your PR status. You'd need t apply for a PRTD while abroad to return to Canada and provide H&C reasons why you couldn't meet the RO. I can't guess whether your reasons would be accepted or not. You also can't rely on them issuing them at your convenience, eg for your graduation.

Note, even if accepted at that point, you should consider that the PRTD does not result in 'forgiveness' - it may not be compatible with frequent (or sometimes any) travel until you are back in compliance with the RO.

If you lose your PR status, you can re-apply but would need to get enough points or otherwise qualify on your own.

a1s2h3

Jul 22, 2024
If I reach Canada before its Expiry, I have to fulfil the requirements for 730 days and then I will be elgible for renewal of PR?
So I have to start from count 0 ?

What does it mean to apply again? Is it possible?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If I reach Canada before its Expiry, I have to fulfil the requirements for 730 days and then I will be elgible for renewal of PR?
So I have to start from count 0 ?

What does it mean to apply again? Is it possible?
There is more discussion of this in the sub-forum permanent residency obligations. https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/permanent-residency-obligations.11/

-When you arrive before expiry, there is a possibility you will be reported for non-compliance. But it is typically less strict at port of entry than applying for PRTD, especially if some of your reasons for non-compliance are decent. You'd also be able to remain in Canada while you appeal.

-You need to get the 730 days before you can renew the PR card, but you can remain in Canada and you're 'legal' in every respect.

-The way the 730 days works is this: they 'look back' five years from the day of application, and if you have been in Canada 730 days/outside of Canada less than 1095 days in that period, you are in compliance. (Outside less than 1095 days in most recent five years or to date of first landing, if that date is less than five years).

-Whether you have to 'start over' depends on details - yes, dates from more than five years don't count, so depending on when you were in Canada or not, you may be looking at having to stay 730 days before being in compliance.

-Repeat, not having a card while you're in Canada is not a big deal. The PR card primarily serves to get you on planes to Canada.

-Applying again: if you lose your PR status, you apply like any other non-Canadian to become a PR. If you're not aware of the process, it's not guaranteed and quite selective.

a1s2h3

Jul 22, 2024
There is more discussion of this in the sub-forum permanent residency obligations. https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/permanent-residency-obligations.11/

-When you arrive before expiry, there is a possibility you will be reported for non-compliance. But it is typically less strict at port of entry than applying for PRTD, especially if some of your reasons for non-compliance are decent. You'd also be able to remain in Canada while you appeal.

-You need to get the 730 days before you can renew the PR card, but you can remain in Canada and you're 'legal' in every respect.

-The way the 730 days works is this: they 'look back' five years from the day of application, and if you have been in Canada 730 days/outside of Canada less than 1095 days in that period, you are in compliance. (Outside less than 1095 days in most recent five years or to date of first landing, if that date is less than five years).

-Whether you have to 'start over' depends on details - yes, dates from more than five years don't count, so depending on when you were in Canada or not, you may be looking at having to stay 730 days before being in compliance.

-Repeat, not having a card while you're in Canada is not a big deal. The PR card primarily serves to get you on planes to Canada.

-Applying again: if you lose your PR status, you apply like any other non-Canadian to become a PR. If you're not aware of the process, it's not guaranteed and quite selective.
Thank you for your guidance, if my PR expures that means I will never be able to visit Canada or can I go on visit visa and attend my graduation?
Or apply PR thorugh skilled worker program?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for your guidance, if my PR expures that means I will never be able to visit Canada or can I go on visit visa and attend my graduation?
Or apply PR thorugh skilled worker program?
PR status does not 'expire.' Even if your PR card expires, you remain a PR.

If your PR is revoked (or you renounce it), you are a foreign national and can apply for a visa or apply to become a PR - like any other foreign national. (you may or may not be accepted)

Note that as a PR, you mainly need the PR card to get on a plane - if you can enter USA you can get into Canada via a land border, where any evidence of being a PR will get you in - although they can report you if you are out of compliacne with the RO.

Also, any of these steps take time at IRCC.

If all this is bewildering, read up in the other forum I put a link to.