+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF) - How long does it delay an application?

lalicatter

Star Member
Jul 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2016
Doc's Request.
08-08-2016 (RPRF/marriage cert./FBI)
AOR Received.
21-06-2016
File Transfer...
27-07-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made: 21-10-2016 / CoPR Email Received: 24-10-2016
scylla said:
The letter is a form letter. It has standard language that states the application cannot be finalized without the RPRF - this doesn't actually mean CIC is ready to finalize your application. Without the FBI cert and marriage certificate - your application is still in the "being processed" state and not ready to be finalized.

I wouldn't compare your timelines to others on this forum since many/most of these others likely submitted the three things you were missing with their original application. Hopefully you have weeks rather than months to wait.
Thanks again for your input scylla, it's appreciated.

Of peripheral interest, the representative (accredited immigration lawyer) told us that most files that he sends only have the solemnization of marriage included and the applications are typically processed without issue. The wait time for the official certificate in Ontario is absurdly long right now - we waited about 16 weeks. He said only last month did he begin getting requests from CPC Ottawa for the long form certificate (3 other spousal cases), possibly due to new officers or a push to ensure that all files have this item included. Not to say this an excuse, but it seemed to make sense at the time. ::)

And yes, from those that I asked they were not missing anything. I guess I didn't realize how much of an impact the missing items would make on the processing of the file. I guess we'll see whether or not the representative having submitted it early gained us any time over submitting it in August with the 2 documents and RPRF fee included. I very much hope it's only weeks rather than months that we have to wait.

Fingers crossed.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
lalicatter said:
Thanks again for your input scylla, it's appreciated.

Of peripheral interest, the representative (accredited immigration lawyer) told us that most files that he sends only have the solemnization of marriage included and the applications are typically processed without issue. The wait time for the official certificate in Ontario is absurdly long right now - we waited about 16 weeks. He said only last month did he begin getting requests from CPC Ottawa for the long form certificate (3 other spousal cases), possibly due to new officers or a push to ensure that all files have this item included. Not to say this an excuse, but it seemed to make sense at the time. ::)

And yes, from those that I asked they were not missing anything. I guess I didn't realize how much of an impact the missing items would make on the processing of the file. I guess we'll see whether or not the representative having submitted it early gained us any time over submitting it in August with the 2 documents and RPRF fee included. I very much hope it's only weeks rather than months that we have to wait.

Fingers crossed.
I am confused by that. We married in Ontario too, and yes we did have a long wait (even was asked to have the officiant fill out one of the old school forms and resubmit because they had trouble finding record of it). What confuses me is that, in no where on the guides we had seen that we could submit the solemnisation of marriage. Otherwise we would have completed and submitted sooner...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
lalicatter said:
I don't really buy that. Sounds like he's making excuses.

We've seen CIC return applications here as incomplete for failing to include the marriage certificate. The marriage cert has always been a mandatory document (FYI - I applied back in 2010 and it was mandatory then - and yes, I was married in ON as well) and the solemnization cannot be used as a substitute. It's got nothing to do with a new process or new officers. Nothing is new about this - it's been like this for years.

Anyway - moot point now. All you can do is wait.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
profiler said:
I am confused by that. We married in Ontario too, and yes we did have a long wait (even was asked to have the officiant fill out one of the old school forms and resubmit because they had trouble finding record of it). What confuses me is that, in no where on the guides we had seen that we could submit the solemnisation of marriage. Otherwise we would have completed and submitted sooner...
one of the required documents listed on the checklist is a marriage certificate, so it's supposed to be submitted upfront. i'm not sure why a solemnization of marriage would be submitted. from my limited search, that sounds like something needed to get married, not to confirm your marriage. this does not sounds like it's the same thing as a marriage certificate. the OP's delay is certainly due to the missing documents, not the RPRF.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
profiler said:
You can't. You did the right thing. Their lawyer is making stuff up.

lalicatter

Star Member
Jul 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2016
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
21-06-2016
File Transfer...
27-07-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
profiler said:
I know. I clarified this with him multiple times to make sure, and even checked in with him once the certificate arrived and asked if we should send it in, and he told me to not bother and they'd ask if they wanted it (of course they asked!). He was confident enough in this to submit the application without it; the application was accepted in Mississauga and forwarded to Ottawa with just the Solemnization of Marriage included. According to him, in only 5 of 20 cases do they actually ask for the certificate. Obviously this could all be bunk, and regardless, they did ask for the certificate after-all.

@CNDPR2015 - The solemnization is the official document that you receive signed by your officiant and witnesses at your wedding ceremony. You keep the solemnization as a record of your marriage, and the remaining paperwork is sent to Thunder Bay for processing (where they do the registry search when requesting a certificate).

@scylla - That's what I was concerned about as well. It really seems like it's up to the person in Mississauga who assesses the file.

In any case, what's done is done... All things considered this has gone faster than we both expected so I am thankful for that. I just hope this doesn't trip us up too much.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
lalicatter said:
@scylla - That's what I was concerned about as well. It really seems like it's up to the person in Mississauga who assesses the file.
I've never heard of a case where someone was approved just based on the solemnization. I don't believe it's up to the case officer - it's black and white - the marriage cert is a required document. The marriage solemnization is something completely different and not a substitute. This is why I'm doing a side-eye at your lawyer and calling BS.

What is up to the case officer is whether the application is returned as incomplete without the marriage cert or whether it's accepted but not fully processed until the marriage cert is received. We have seen both happen here.

Omegabyte

Aug 8, 2016
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
LANDED..........
02-03-2017
I see more stories from folks that hire a "accredited" immigration attorney, then find out later that things are fouled up in some way...

Thoughts:

- As we read the guides and checklists and filled out the applications, I noticed in many places that CIC wants only the long form marriage certificate. They also want the FBI report submitted upfront as well, although they've given some leeway because of the processing times at the FBI - perhaps this is why they allow and encourage you to use a channeler instead?

- Although both Guide 3900 (sponsorship) and Guide 3999 (Outland PR) state that you can submit the RPRF later upon request, it will delay your application.

Guide 3900: "Note: We strongly recommend paying the Right of Permanent Residence Fee along with your processing fees. By doing so, it will reduce the processing time of your application."

- Although you're given 30 days to submit those items, it doesn't mean your app will be picked up again immediately after the 30 days expire. My understanding is that your application goes to the bottom of the stack, so to speak, and might not be looked at again for several weeks.

Hope you hear good news soon!!

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Omegabyte said:
- As we read the guides and checklists and filled out the applications, I noticed in many places that CIC wants only the long form marriage certificate. They also want the FBI report submitted upfront as well, although they've given some leeway because of the processing times at the FBI - perhaps this is why they allow and encourage you to use a channeler instead?
Uh-oh. We only sent the standard certificate -- hope that's ok. We were not asked for an update on it (we have been asked for updated PCC only).

Omegabyte said:
Hope you hear good news soon!!
Likewise!

lalicatter

Star Member
Jul 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2016
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
21-06-2016
File Transfer...
27-07-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
Thanks you guys. :)

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Omegabyte said:
- Although both Guide 3900 (sponsorship) and Guide 3999 (Outland PR) state that you can submit the RPRF later upon request, it will delay your application.
this is not always true. If the RPRF is the only thing requested (or part of the PPR), then it doesn't necessarily delay anything. from my experience submitting it with PPR, it did not delay my approval at all. I received my COPR within 2 weeks of submitting it, and i'm sure there are others with similar experiences. To say that every single person who does not pay RPRF upfront will for sure see a delay is not accurate. This is going to be specific to the visa office and the specific officer processing the file.

Omegabyte

Aug 8, 2016
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
LANDED..........
02-03-2017
CDNPR2014 said:
this is not always true. If the RPRF is the only thing requested (or part of the PPR), then it doesn't necessarily delay anything. from my experience submitting it with PPR, it did not delay my approval at all. I received my COPR within 2 weeks of submitting it, and i'm sure there are others with similar experiences. To say that every single person who does not pay RPRF upfront will for sure see a delay is not accurate. This is going to be specific to the visa office and the specific officer processing the file.
I'm only quoting what the Guides say, as well as the experiences of many on here.

If you can't afford it when you apply, then it's ok to pay it later. But it's "strongly recommended" that you pay it upfront.

The question is, how much sooner would you have received your PPR if you had paid the RPRF upfront?.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Omegabyte said:
I'm only quoting what the Guides say, as well as the experiences of many on here.

If you can't afford it when you apply, then it's ok to pay it later. But it's "strongly recommended" that you pay it upfront.

The question is, how much sooner would you have received your PPR if you had paid the RPRF upfront?.
i doubt it would have been much sooner. i got my ppr in 3.5 - 4 months when the average at that time was 7-8 months ( i was in one of the earlier batches of quick processing at Ottawa). i doubt not paying the rprf delays ppr. ppr is issued when the file is ready to be finalized, no matter if the rprf has been paid or not. the ppr and the rprf are the last step before approval. the ppr confirms applicant details and the rprf allows CIC to issue the visa. any delay is going to depend on what is requested, the visa office and the officer processing the file.

ryanntheredhead

Star Member
Feb 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2016
Doc's Request.
29-08-2016
AOR Received.
21-06-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
(Decision Made) 06-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
13-10-2016
LANDED..........
17-10-2016
lalicatter said:
So it seems that we're one of the last applications pending from Ottawa in May, and the only thing I can chalk it up to is the fact that the RPRF payment was deferred until they asked for it. If I'd known that it made that big of a difference I would have paid it up front. From taking a look at other apps it seems like paying this fee upfront definitely speeds things along.
It looks like you applied May 30ish? I'm June 1 and also got RPRF request because silly me did not realize I had to pay it, but I also got request for proof that my common law partner and I were currently living together in the same RPRF email. I sent a copy of our lease in Canada in my original application but apparently that wasn't enough so I sent our drivers licenses and our bank info with same address as well as the full form lease that we signed. So anyway, all of that to say that I've seen June 20 applicants get DM and they never got a document request so I'm thinking ours are taking longer because of that. Though I would hardly say my application was incomplete seeing as I did send that info, they just apparently wanted more. MyCIC says my eligibility and background checks are in process so hopefully that's true and that they are actively working on it and that my application isn't at the bottom of the pile like some are suggesting.

Hopefully we will hear around the same time. Best of luck!

lalicatter

Star Member
Jul 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2016
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
21-06-2016
File Transfer...
27-07-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
ryanntheredhead said:
It looks like you applied May 30ish? I'm June 1 and also got RPRF request because silly me did not realize I had to pay it, but I also got request for proof that my common law partner and I were currently living together in the same RPRF email. I sent a copy of our lease in Canada in my original application but apparently that wasn't enough so I sent our drivers licenses and our bank info with same address as well as the full form lease that we signed. So anyway, all of that to say that I've seen June 20 applicants get DM and they never got a document request so I'm thinking ours are taking longer because of that. Though I would hardly say my application was incomplete seeing as I did send that info, they just apparently wanted more. MyCIC says my eligibility and background checks are in process so hopefully that's true and that they are actively working on it and that my application isn't at the bottom of the pile like some are suggesting.

Hopefully we will hear around the same time. Best of luck!
Hey thanks for the reply! Yes I noticed your name on the spreadsheet and noticed that we're in a similar position. There are a number of earlier applicants who sent in their application without the FBI and they have received DM. For those that had additional document requests for FBI it looked like their file was wrapped up in 20 - 50 days after the document request. We are at 48 today. Hopefully both of us see positive movement soon! I think there was one other person from the same week we sent ours in with an RPRF request and they were still waiting as well. I also saw someone who went through CPC-Ottawa and has DM but got their notes in July. They said it took 4-5 weeks for the RPRF payment to even be recorded on their application.

Good to hear things are in progress for you. As we have a representative we can't see myCIC. It's nerve wracking.