+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ready to submit my Husband's spousal visa application but a little confused

MrsPasha

Aug 2, 2024
So I got my Canadian citizenship in 2018 and I moved back to Pakistan in 2020 to settle down with a suitable partner. I got married in 2022 and had a baby boy 7 months ago. Since Pakistan is going through a lot of economical crisis these days, me and my husband have decided to move to Canada for better quality of life. However, I haven't been working since I had a baby but my husband is financially stable and can easily support us in Canada. We have savings over CAD 22,000. Now my question is, how much funds do I need to sponsor my husband? And I've been living with my husband since 2022 in Pakistan. Will it have a negative impact on our applicantion?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Now my question is, how much funds do I need to sponsor my husband? And I've been living with my husband since 2022 in Pakistan. Will it have a negative impact on our applicantion?
There is no specific number. They will evaluate both savings and ability/willingness to work of both you and your spouse. Education and work experience will be looked at in particular.

Reactions: MrsPasha

MrsPasha

Aug 2, 2024
There is no specific number. They will evaluate both savings and ability/willingness to work of both you and your spouse. Education and work experience will be looked at in particular.
Thank you. Also, I've been living outside of Canada for 4 years now. Will that have a negative impact on our application?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you. Also, I've been living outside of Canada for 4 years now. Will that have a negative impact on our application?
They will ask you to demonstrate your intent to return to (move to) Canada. Take that seriously. In some circumstances it may make sense for you and child (citizen) to return to Canada earlier.

Otherwise no.

Also I assume your child has citizenship and has or will apply soon for passport, that will be needed. The child should not need to do a medical exam for immigration purposes.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is this a recent change to the spousal sponsorship requirements?

There has never been a minimum income requirement for a sponsor, so long as they (as you mentioned) can provide details of how they will support their spouse, or partner.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

There has never been a minimum income requirement for a sponsor, so long as they (as you mentioned) can provide details of how they will support their spouse, or partner.
I only meant that as part of 'details,' they will look at work experience and education of sponsor and applicant - as the thing that mostly drives how most people actually support their families, i.e. work.

Last edited:
Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would warn you that 22k will not get far. Without proof of employment and credit history in Canada many people are having to offer to pay 3-6 months of rent upfront to secure a property.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

……adding. It’s really all irrelevant. If people planning on moving back here can’t Google the COL in this country .
Who cares ? It’s them who’ll have to figure it out or be homeless.

Others countries have income levels when bringing in a spouse .UK USA. But not this incompetent government.

So it’s all irrelevant

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Would warn you that 22k will not get far. Without proof of employment and credit history in Canada many people are having to offer to pay 3-6 months of rent upfront to secure a property.
But it takes time to build up credit history in Canada, since credit from other countries [apparently] means nothing.

I've yet to hear about anyone having to pay 6 months rent upfront. That's ridiculous.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
But it takes time to build up credit history in Canada, since credit from other countries [apparently] means nothing.

I've yet to hear about anyone having to pay 6 months rent upfront. That's ridiculous.
But certainly not all newcomers having paid 6 months rent upfront.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

This really started during Covid since LTBs are extremely backlogged. If you arrive without a job it is always a risk for a landlord to rent to you. There is a housing shortage so landlords are more likely to rent to people who have employment and credit history. This is even happening to Canadians in tight rental markets to try to secure rentals over others. If it gets to the news you know that is just a small fraction of what is occurring.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7259764

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
This really started during Covid since LTBs are extremely backlogged. If you arrive without a job it is always a risk for a landlord to rent to you. There is a housing shortage so landlords are more likely to rent to people who have employment and credit history. This is even happening to Canadians in tight rental markets to try to secure rentals over others. If it gets to the news you know that is just a small fraction of what is occurring.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7259764
It depends on province. I don't think landlord can request for months of rent ahead in BC. Renters got more protection in BC BUT it's likely making it harder because landlord cannot do their regular check with new comers.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It depends on province. I don't think landlord can request for months of rent ahead in BC. Renters got more protection in BC BUT it's likely making it harder because landlord cannot do their regular check with new comers.
Landlord can’t ask but it is often suggested in subtle or not so subtle ways by real estate agents and/or landlords. It is also pretty well shared in newcomer communities so many go in offering to pay multiple months up front which is legal. Even in a tight rental market I know I have been offered multiple months of rent in advance to secure a rental.