+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ray of hope - FSW - 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ns317

Aug 29, 2019
Besides that, French could also be an asset for your profile while looking for a job in Canada. It's not only an EE thing. The reason why IRCC is giving you extra points is because people who knows both french + english are more likely to get jobs as well.
Absolutely. It opens up the Montreal and Ottawa job markets, and even benefits you in certain other cities like Halifax. From a job hunting perspective, it would also nudge new immigrants to not just think about GTA while choosing a place to settle down.

Also if anyone is interested in Govt. jobs, particularly Federal government jobs, one can't really progress beyond a level if one isn't bilingual.

jrossi

Jan 13, 2020
I believe they only hold a bachelor's degree? And probably with accompanied partners.
I think that bonus could impact people that are from french speaking countries, such as Nigeria and France, and that had very "weak" profiles. Yet, I'm not sure this represents a huge number of people. In accordance with the IRCC, less than 4% of the people in the pool have french skills. 4 PER CENT. It's a very small number.
But, I guess we'll see the real impact in a few hours. I really hope this will not impact current CRS scores, since I know there is a lot of people in the 470-471 range that are waiting their ITAs for so long.

jrossi

Jan 13, 2020
Absolutely. It opens up the Montreal and Ottawa job markets, and even benefits you in certain other cities like Halifax. From a job hunting perspective, it would also nudge new immigrants to not just think about GTA while choosing a place to settle down.

Also if anyone is interested in Govt. jobs, particularly Federal government jobs, one can't really progress beyond a level if one isn't bilingual.
Just go to indeed and type "french" as the keyword. Even in places like Calgary (which I believe is among the most "english-centric"/"american style" cities in Canada) there are over 250 job positions that have French as "an asset" or mandatory requirement.
Also, being.a PR holder with both french and english skills, you're very likely to be well positioned for a future job in the government (if that's something you want to consider). The percentage of french speakers among government roles is WAYYYY above the average of the canadian population. That's one of the reasons why Québec is so influential on federal matters: the proportion of quebecois among federal roles is actually pretty high.

Sweetyblaise

Star Member
Oct 24, 2020
I think that bonus could impact people that are from french speaking countries, such as Nigeria and France, and that had very "weak" profiles. Yet, I'm not sure this represents a huge number of people. In accordance with the IRCC, less than 4% of the people in the pool have french skills. 4 PER CENT. It's a very small number.
But, I guess we'll see the real impact in a few hours. I really hope this will not impact current CRS scores, since I know there is a lot of people in the 470-471 range that are waiting their ITAs for so long.
They don't speak French in Nigeria.

ns317

Aug 29, 2019
Those from Algeria, Morocco and a few other countries in North and West Africa would benefit the most I think. I had met so many of them at the centre during my two TEF exams (for them TEF is the main one and IELTS the secondary one). So this will be added motivation for them to reach CLB 7 in English and get the bonus.

jrossi

Jan 13, 2020
Those from Algeria, Morocco and a few other countries in North and West Africa would benefit the most I think. I had met so many of them at the centre during my two TEF exams (for them TEF is the main one and IELTS the secondary one). So this will be added motivation for them to reach CLB 7 in English and get the bonus.
They only need CLB5 in English to get the bonus.

English speakers need CLB7 in french, but French speakers only need CLB5 in english.

ravla

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
I am at 478 and I thought I am pretty safe. But reading this thread on the new french policy update give a me great anxiety.

Status
Not open for further replies.