+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Query Regarding Spouse Education assessment

CanadaPR90

Star Member
Dec 29, 2009
I have done Bachelors of Engineering from India and Master of Science in Industrial Engineering from USA. I will be applying under Information Technology Category based on my IT work experience.

I am in my initial stage and gathering all the information from CIC website. My spouse has done Masters in healthcare and Bachelors of physical therapy.

1) I have studied Canada immigration CIC website but I am not very clear, if getting my spouse education assessment is mandatory or ONLY when we need to get points for her education then only her education assessment is needed ?

2) If her assessment is needed in any case, then do we need to get both Bachelors's and Master's education assessment done or only master's only.

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
I have done Bachelors of Engineering from India and Master of Science in Industrial Engineering from USA. I will be applying under Information Technology Category based on my IT work experience.

I am in my initial stage and gathering all the information from CIC website. My spouse has done Masters in healthcare and Bachelors of physical therapy.

1) I have studied Canada immigration CIC website but I am not very clear, if getting my spouse education assessment is mandatory or ONLY when we need to get points for her education then only her education assessment is needed ?

2) If her assessment is needed in any case, then do we need to get both Bachelors's and Master's education assessment done or only master's only.
You can get them assessed for more points. For 2 it depends, sometimes masters are assessed at a lower lever. I'd recommend getting all your degrees assessed and after IELTS compare points to see who will be primary. My husband had a masters level ECA, I had less (2 or more degrees) and yet i was primary because i scored better in english. so if you're not sure you'll have enough points on your own might as well get everything done

singhbaba

Sep 29, 2017
You can get them assessed for more points. For 2 it depends, sometimes masters are assessed at a lower lever. I'd recommend getting all your degrees assessed and after IELTS compare points to see who will be primary. My husband had a masters level ECA, I had less (2 or more degrees) and yet i was primary because i scored better in english. so if you're not sure you'll have enough points on your own might as well get everything done
Sorry not Meant to Hijack but felt this could be the place I can get a reply

I need expert advise here, my brother completed 3 years BCA and 2 years M.Sc in Information technology. As per WES Evaluation, he got evaluated as "Bachelor 4 years", Its really strange that they didn't consider masters and gave overall - Bachelor 4 years)

While filling Express entry profile, how should i fill my bachelors and Master Degree Information, Here are the options I could think of -

1)Should i select Bachelors as India degree and then Canada equivalency as "bachelor 3 or more years" without mentioning Master degree?
2)Should i add Bachelor and Master both and for Canada equivalency fill "bachelor 4 years" two times?
3)select Master degree and in canada equivalency show - "Bachelor 4 years) as highest degree and dont add India's bachelor degree.

Below is the WES report(for reference)
CANADIAN EQUIVALENCY SUMMARY:

Bachelor's degree(four years)

Credential Analysis:

1 Credential auth: Official transcripts were sent directly by institution.
Credential: Bachelor of Computer Applications
Awarded By: *******
Major/specialization: Computer Applications
Canadian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree(three years)

2 Credential auth: Official transcripts were sent directly by institution.
Credential: Master of Science
Major/specialization: Information Technology
Canadian Equivalency: Bachelors degree (four years)

Remarks - The equivalency of this credential is stated in conjunction with study previously completed(See #1) above

Raz0r

Jul 9, 2017

Why risk your point score, have your spouse's credentials (all her credentials) assessed by WES. Good luck.

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Sorry not Meant to Hijack but felt this could be the place I can get a reply

I need expert advise here, my brother completed 3 years BCA and 2 years M.Sc in Information technology. As per WES Evaluation, he got evaluated as "Bachelor 4 years", Its really strange that they didn't consider masters and gave overall - Bachelor 4 years)

While filling Express entry profile, how should i fill my bachelors and Master Degree Information, Here are the options I could think of -

1)Should i select Bachelors as India degree and then Canada equivalency as "bachelor 3 or more years" without mentioning Master degree?
2)Should i add Bachelor and Master both and for Canada equivalency fill "bachelor 4 years" two times?
3)select Master degree and in canada equivalency show - "Bachelor 4 years) as highest degree and dont add India's bachelor degree.

Below is the WES report(for reference)

Credential Analysis:

Remarks - The equivalency of this credential is stated in conjunction with study previously completed(See #1) above
Yes. It's the sad truth but not all Master's degrees and universities are created equal.

You'll have to add each degree separately. For each degree you'll answer have you got an ECA and after that question everything related to that degree has to be similar to the WES report.
Better show both diplomas!! There's points for two or more degrees which is your case. Why waste points only adding one of them?
So your option 2 is correct.

singhbaba

Sep 29, 2017
Yes. It's the sad truth but not all Master's degrees and universities are created equal.

You'll have to add each degree separately. For each degree you'll answer have you got an ECA and after that question everything related to that degree has to be similar to the WES report.
Better show both diplomas!! There's points for two or more degrees which is your case. Why waste points only adding one of them?
So your option 2 is correct.
Thanks for your response but wouldn't it be showing two bachelor's degree? I am confused because of my ECA last line which says this degree is awarded in conjunction to study previously completed. If some you know has done the same way then I woukd be confident that I am filling it up the right

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Thanks for your response but wouldn't it be showing two bachelor's degree? I am confused because of my ECA last line which says this degree is awarded in conjunction to study previously completed. If some you know has done the same way then I woukd be confident that I am filling it up the right
An ECA of 2 bachelor degrees amounts to 2 or more diplomas. Source: My CRS :)

singhbaba

Sep 29, 2017
Thanks Hamgha,

So looking at my ECA results you confirm that I should go with the below option right?

Add Bachelor and Master both and for Canada equivalency fill "bachelor 4 years" two times?

sorry not to ask again but want to be sure we are on the same page.

gotodxb

Mar 16, 2017
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
30-08-2017
Passport Req..
29-09-2017
LANDED..........
25-10-2017
Thanks Hamgha,

So looking at my ECA results you confirm that I should go with the below option right?

Add Bachelor and Master both and for Canada equivalency fill "bachelor 4 years" two times?

sorry not to ask again but want to be sure we are on the same page.
Hi your WES ECA report should list both degrees in the summary like..
Bachelor's degree(three years) and Bachelor's degree(four years)

If not , send an email to WES and get the report corrected.. you can get points for two or more degrees from CIC..

First get the WES report corrected if it shows only one degree in the summary..

singhbaba

Sep 29, 2017
Hi your WES ECA report should list both degrees in the summary like..

If not , send an email to WES and get the report corrected.. you can get points for two or more degrees from CIC..

First get the WES report corrected if it shows only one degree in the summary..
This is what my WES ECA report says

Credential Analysis:

The thing I am worried about is the Remarks and the Canadian Equivalency summary which says I have Bachelors 4 Degree for both the Degree. So if I put Bachelors for both my Bachelors and Master Degree in the Candian Equivalent wouldn't that be misrepresentation.(Just Thinking)

Unless you or someone you know got evaluated the same way and had choosen option 2 of mentioning Bachelors for both Master and Bachelors Degree in India for the Canadian equivalent Tab.

gotodxb

Mar 16, 2017
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
30-08-2017
Passport Req..
29-09-2017
LANDED..........
25-10-2017
This is what my WES ECA report says

Credential Analysis:

The thing I am worried about is the Remarks and the Canadian Equivalency summary which says I have Bachelors 4 Degree for both the Degree. So if I put Bachelors for both my Bachelors and Master Degree in the Candian Equivalent wouldn't that be misrepresentation.(Just Thinking)

Unless you or someone you know got evaluated the same way and had choosen option 2 of mentioning Bachelors for both Master and Bachelors Degree in India for the Canadian equivalent Tab.
I did an ECA exactly similar and i got Bachelor's degree(three years) and Bachelor's degree(four years)

if you see the individual degree , it says three and four years , so you have to select Bachelor three years and Master as bachelor 4 years..

seems WES messed up your summary with listing only one.. technically you can choose three years and four years ( not four years in both)

but i would recommend to get corrected from WES , asking them to issue new report with two degrees in summary, that way when CIC verifies, there is no issue.. rest up to you to take the risk..

singhbaba

Sep 29, 2017
I did an ECA exactly similar and i got Bachelor's degree(three years) and Bachelor's degree(four years)

if you see the individual degree , it says three and four years , so you have to select Bachelor three years and Master as bachelor 4 years..

seems WES messed up your summary with listing only one.. technically you can choose three years and four years ( not four years in both)

but i would recommend to get corrected from WES , asking them to issue new report with two degrees in summary, that way when CIC verifies, there is no issue.. rest up to you to take the risk..
I contacted WES to get it correct this is what they said

WES bases its equivalency for master’s degrees earned at an Indian university that require a three-year bachelor’s degree for admission/entry on quality indicators related to the underlying bachelor’s degree. Master’s degrees that build on a three-year bachelor’s degree awarded in Division 1 by a NAAC “A” grade university are given an equivalency of a Postgraduate Diploma (one year). All others are equivalent to a Canadian bachelor’s degree.

BTW if you don't mind could you share the ECA results so that I can check where the gap is. Thanks

gotodxb

Mar 16, 2017
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
30-08-2017
Passport Req..
29-09-2017
LANDED..........
25-10-2017
I contacted WES to get it correct this is what they said

WES bases its equivalency for master’s degrees earned at an Indian university that require a three-year bachelor’s degree for admission/entry on quality indicators related to the underlying bachelor’s degree. Master’s degrees that build on a three-year bachelor’s degree awarded in Division 1 by a NAAC “A” grade university are given an equivalency of a Postgraduate Diploma (one year). All others are equivalent to a Canadian bachelor’s degree.

BTW if you don't mind could you share the ECA results so that I can check where the gap is. Thanks
WES evaluating masters into bachelors ( four years) is correct.. they do that for certain master degree.. but my summary listed both degrees like below..

singhbaba

Sep 29, 2017

This is what I see in my profile for Candian Equivalent and can't see Bachelors 3 and 4 years just see one. Which one do you suggest is good for my Bachelors and Master as per the ECA I shared?

None, or less than Secondary(High School)
Secondary Diploma (high School graduation)
One- year program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute.
Two Year Program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute.
Bachelor's Degree OR a three or more year program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute.
Master's Degree, or professional degree needed to practice in a licensed profession
Doctoral level university degree(PhD)