+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal without meeting Residency obligations

Sam44

Sep 24, 2024
I got my PR card in 2020 and I left one month after I received my PR card. I am now back to canada and my PR is to expire in few months.
At the immigration counter, I was asked couple of questions and then was sent to the second immigration counter. The second immigration officer asked me the reason for visit which I said that my plan now is to settle in canada. She then asked whether I have met my residency obligations to which I responded no. She kept typing something and then told me that you have to apply for PR renewal however she said that it is less likely that I would get my card renewed.
I recently met a lawyer who told me that he can get my card renewed. He said he would not apply on humanitarian grounds rather apply as a routine renewal. Basically (as I understood) he would show as if I was living in canada for the last two years. Not sure how he would do that.

I don't think so this seems a reasonable track as it seems fishy but felt of posting on this forum and getting some advise

• Wow
Reactions: YVR123

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I got my PR card in 2020 and I left one month after I received my PR card. I am now back to canada and my PR is to expire in few months.
At the immigration counter, I was asked couple of questions and then was sent to the second immigration counter. The second immigration officer asked me the reason for visit which I said that my plan now is to settle in canada. She then asked whether I have met my residency obligations to which I responded no. She kept typing something and then told me that you have to apply for PR renewal however she said that it is less likely that I would get my card renewed.
I recently met a lawyer who told me that he can get my card renewed. He said he would not apply on humanitarian grounds rather apply as a routine renewal. Basically (as I understood) he would show as if I was living in canada for the last two years. Not sure how he would do that.

I don't think so this seems a reasonable track as it seems fishy but felt of posting on this forum and getting some advise
Many, I guess, might answer this simply, citing the conventional wisdom: do NOT proceed with making a PR card application until you have first stayed in Canada long enough to meet the PR Residency Obligation. And this is probably a good answer, and for many in a similar situation perhaps the one best answer. That is likely your best path forward.

Whether that is actually the right approach for you in particular, however, is not so easily answered. Likely, yes, but that's about probabilities which are not predictive, not determinative. (Hint: even five to one odds, let alone what is merely "likely," is often not good enough to bet on; after all, Russian Roulette is considered to be more suicidal than a game of chance, for obvious reasons despite the five to one odds, as no amount of potential winnings will make that a gamble worth taking.)

A key factor to consider is the particular, actual outcome of the Port-of-Entry examination.

Frankly, what you describe a lawyer saying sounds more like a consultant than a lawyer. And otherwise it is difficult to grasp that a lawyer is recommending proceeding to make a PR card application when in breach of the RO without offering H&C reasons. Yeah, something seems off here.

So, Further, Longer Observations:

While this forum can offer information and suggestions, this is not an appropriate place to get advice. I will offer some information in regards to what we know about how things work, which includes some if-this, then-that oriented suggestions. This is NOT advice. For advice, discuss the matter further with your lawyer, if you have hired one, or with another lawyer.

If you have not yet hired a lawyer, it is OK to consult with additional lawyers. And to compare what they say. It is not just OK but important to be selective in deciding which lawyer to actually hire. It is important to get assistance from a lawyer you trust and that you PAY (a lawyer you have retained), once you are satisfied with who you want to be YOUR lawyer.

Free consultations are NOT worth much (it's tough to get what you pay for from lawyers, so don't expect much for free) other than an opportunity to explore whether this is the lawyer you want to hire, the lawyer you will pay to actually review and analyze YOUR case in detail, and to be your representative.

Meanwhile the conventional wisdom is do NOT initiate a transaction that could (let alone that must) involve a Residency Determination UNLESS you meet the PR Residency Obligation . . . but of course that is only if any such transaction can be avoided.

Obviously, for example, you could not have returned to Canada, or pursued settlement in Canada as a PR, without at least arriving at a Port-of-Entry into Canada, thereby applying for permission to physically enter Canada. So you could not avoid that transaction, a PoE examination, which is a transaction that can trigger a Residency Determination.

An application for a new PR card is a transaction that must involve a Residency Determination.

Meanwhile, if attendant that PoE experience the officer waived you into Canada without preparing a 44(1) Report, and your PR card is currently valid so that you can proceed to complete the process of settling in Canada (thus, for example, obtaining a drivers' license or provincial identification, obtaining health care coverage, opening bank accounts, and so on), there is NO need to apply for a PR card anytime soon. You can, instead, STAY and wait until you have remained in Canada long enough to be in compliance with the RO before you make the PR card application (or at least wait until you have in fact settled into residing in Canada and stayed long enough to be confident there is a low enough risk it is worth taking a chance the application will succeed rather than triggering inadmissibility proceedings, recognizing that the for-sure-safe approach is to wait until fully in RO compliance).

BUT, this is very much dependent on having been waived into Canada without a 44(1) Report being prepared by the PoE officials. So the actual outcome of the PoE examination is important.

In particular, if at this stage no 44(1) Report has been prepared, it is likely you can stay and wait to make a PR card application only when it is for-sure-safe (when you meet the RO). There is some possibility that CBSA could follow up and pursue the matter further, potentially leading to the preparation of a 44(1) Report, but so far neither the anecdotal reporting nor what is reflected in published decisions about actual cases indicate that is common.

In contrast, if there is any indication a 44(1) Report has been prepared, or that CBSA is proceeding to prepare a 44(1) Report, then it really is time to LAWYER-UP, and at the least get detailed advice (advice you PAY for) about how the process works and how you can present H&C factors to be considered when next contacted.

SUMMARY: probably OK to just stay and wait, to put off deciding when to make a PR card application. If, however, there is an indication that CBSA is proceeding with a 44(1) Report, find a lawyer you can trust and retain them, PAY for assistance including advice about how to navigate forward from here.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

This is misrepresentation. Do not proceed down this path. Very easy for IRCC to see how long you have actually been in Canada and then you'll be looking at misrepresentation and most likely the guaranteed loss of your PR status. Doing as this consultant suggested is akin to saying "I have a complicated situation, what are the ways I can make this complicated situation even worse for myself with very negative consequences." It's a big FAFO.

Live in Canada for two straight years before you apply to renew your PR card.

Reactions: YVR123

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

Why do you require advice on being honest ?

Not going to give a thesis of a reply

It’s not fishy . It’s dishonest,misrepresenting your situation

Sam44

Sep 24, 2024
Many, I guess, might answer this simply, citing the conventional wisdom: do NOT proceed with making a PR card application until you have first stayed in Canada long enough to meet the PR Residency Obligation. And this is probably a good answer, and for many in a similar situation perhaps the one best answer. That is likely your best path forward.

Whether that is actually the right approach for you in particular, however, is not so easily answered. Likely, yes, but that's about probabilities which are not predictive, not determinative. (Hint: even five to one odds, let alone what is merely "likely," is often not good enough to bet on; after all, Russian Roulette is considered to be more suicidal than a game of chance, for obvious reasons despite the five to one odds, as no amount of potential winnings will make that a gamble worth taking.)

A key factor to consider is the particular, actual outcome of the Port-of-Entry examination.

Frankly, what you describe a lawyer saying sounds more like a consultant than a lawyer. And otherwise it is difficult to grasp that a lawyer is recommending proceeding to make a PR card application when in breach of the RO without offering H&C reasons. Yeah, something seems off here.

So, Further, Longer Observations:

While this forum can offer information and suggestions, this is not an appropriate place to get advice. I will offer some information in regards to what we know about how things work, which includes some if-this, then-that oriented suggestions. This is NOT advice. For advice, discuss the matter further with your lawyer, if you have hired one, or with another lawyer.

If you have not yet hired a lawyer, it is OK to consult with additional lawyers. And to compare what they say. It is not just OK but important to be selective in deciding which lawyer to actually hire. It is important to get assistance from a lawyer you trust and that you PAY (a lawyer you have retained), once you are satisfied with who you want to be YOUR lawyer.

Free consultations are NOT worth much (it's tough to get what you pay for from lawyers, so don't expect much for free) other than an opportunity to explore whether this is the lawyer you want to hire, the lawyer you will pay to actually review and analyze YOUR case in detail, and to be your representative.

Meanwhile the conventional wisdom is do NOT initiate a transaction that could (let alone that must) involve a Residency Determination UNLESS you meet the PR Residency Obligation . . . but of course that is only if any such transaction can be avoided.

Obviously, for example, you could not have returned to Canada, or pursued settlement in Canada as a PR, without at least arriving at a Port-of-Entry into Canada, thereby applying for permission to physically enter Canada. So you could not avoid that transaction, a PoE examination, which is a transaction that can trigger a Residency Determination.

An application for a new PR card is a transaction that must involve a Residency Determination.

Meanwhile, if attendant that PoE experience the officer waived you into Canada without preparing a 44(1) Report, and your PR card is currently valid so that you can proceed to complete the process of settling in Canada (thus, for example, obtaining a drivers' license or provincial identification, obtaining health care coverage, opening bank accounts, and so on), there is NO need to apply for a PR card anytime soon. You can, instead, STAY and wait until you have remained in Canada long enough to be in compliance with the RO before you make the PR card application (or at least wait until you have in fact settled into residing in Canada and stayed long enough to be confident there is a low enough risk it is worth taking a chance the application will succeed rather than triggering inadmissibility proceedings, recognizing that the for-sure-safe approach is to wait until fully in RO compliance).

BUT, this is very much dependent on having been waived into Canada without a 44(1) Report being prepared by the PoE officials. So the actual outcome of the PoE examination is important.

In particular, if at this stage no 44(1) Report has been prepared, it is likely you can stay and wait to make a PR card application only when it is for-sure-safe (when you meet the RO). There is some possibility that CBSA could follow up and pursue the matter further, potentially leading to the preparation of a 44(1) Report, but so far neither the anecdotal reporting nor what is reflected in published decisions about actual cases indicate that is common.

In contrast, if there is any indication a 44(1) Report has been prepared, or that CBSA is proceeding to prepare a 44(1) Report, then it really is time to LAWYER-UP, and at the least get detailed advice (advice you PAY for) about how the process works and how you can present H&C factors to be considered when next contacted.

SUMMARY: probably OK to just stay and wait, to put off deciding when to make a PR card application. If, however, there is an indication that CBSA is proceeding with a 44(1) Report, find a lawyer you can trust and retain them, PAY for assistance including advice about how to navigate forward from here.
Thanks for a the detailed response. Very helpful.
One question: how to a get to know that a section 44 Report is being prepared for me or not. It has now been 3 weeks I have landed. If they issue a section 44, how will I be notified?

Sam44

Sep 24, 2024
This is misrepresentation. Do not proceed down this path. Very easy for IRCC to see how long you have actually been in Canada and then you'll be looking at misrepresentation and most likely the guaranteed loss of your PR status. Doing as this consultant suggested is akin to saying "I have a complicated situation, what are the ways I can make this complicated situation even worse for myself with very negative consequences." It's a big FAFO.

Live in Canada for two straight years before you apply to renew your PR card.
I agree. The best path is to stay and apply for renewal when I meet RO. Just mindful that I might be issued a section 44 report which I am not sure if being issued, how would I know.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I agree. The best path is to stay and apply for renewal when I meet RO. Just mindful that I might be issued a section 44 report which I am not sure if being issued, how would I know.
This case of a 44(1) report being done after arrival, without the applicant being aware of it, is quite rare. Almost all of the time they are done upon arrival and given a copy right then.

So basically, don't worry about it, because it's highly unlikely.

Sam44

Sep 24, 2024
This case of a 44(1) report being done after arrival, without the applicant being aware of it, is quite rare. Almost all of the time they are done upon arrival and given a copy right then.

So basically, don't worry about it, because it's highly unlikely.
Thanks

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Do not try to mis-represent yourself and apply for PR renewal. Stay in Canada and wait till you meet RO and then apply for your PR card renewal.

You could lost your PR if found with misrepresentation. It's very easy for IRCC to find out your physical presence days.

tomlee1986

Star Member
Mar 14, 2017
I agree with others - DO NOT misrepresent yourself and DO NOT renew your PR card, and attempt to depart Canada until you have met your PR requirements… not worth it

sam vora

Sep 27, 2024
I applied for parents PR Card renewal by mail on Oct 2023. Still status show in process. It has been almost one year and still not received PR Card. I dont know what to do?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I applied for parents PR Card renewal by mail on Oct 2023. Still status show in process. It has been almost one year and still not received PR Card. I dont know what to do?
Start a new thread, explain the situation with some more facts and details, and while you wait for answers, see if you can find relevant suggestions in other threads.