+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal - Questions - Please help

davn15

Star Member
Jan 6, 2022
Hi - My spouse and I are up for PR renewal. I have a few questions.

I got my PR in 2019 after the soft landing. However, due to covid and a few family reasons, we couldn't move here until beginning of 2022.
Between 2019 and 2022, I had to travel to a few places for family emergency and I was employed by a company outside Canada.

1. In the travel log, do I need to simply state that I was out from late 2019 to early 2022 in the country I held the employment or do I need to provide details of every place I traveled to in this time period?

2. I visited Canada for about 6 weeks between 2019 an 2022 and stayed at my cousin's place . Do I need to state that in the Address history?

3. Does my spouse need to apply for PR renewal from his separate account? When we got the PR my spouse was my dependant. I am not seeing an option to renew for both of us together.

4. For the proof of residency:

(a) I plan to give my rental agreement. My building can provide a document stating I have been residing here since Jan 2022. Would this one page letter suffice? or do I need to print the entire rental agreement?

(b)For the second proof, I plan to provide my paystubs and letter from my employer. I got employed starting mid 2022, so therefore I will not have full 730 days paystubs. I am assuming this is okay but I just wanted to confirm in this group. Also do I need to provide each and every bi-weekly pay stub for this period?

Thank you in advance!

Appreciate any help.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi - My spouse and I are up for PR renewal. I have a few questions.

I got my PR in 2019 after the soft landing. However, due to covid and a few family reasons, we couldn't move here until beginning of 2022.
Between 2019 and 2022, I had to travel to a few places for family emergency and I was employed by a company outside Canada.

1. In the travel log, do I need to simply state that I was out from late 2019 to early 2022 in the country I held the employment or do I need to provide details of every place I traveled to in this time period?

2. I visited Canada for about 6 weeks between 2019 an 2022 and stayed at my cousin's place . Do I need to state that in the Address history?

3. Does my spouse need to apply for PR renewal from his separate account? When we got the PR my spouse was my dependant. I am not seeing an option to renew for both of us together.

4. For the proof of residency:

(a) I plan to give my rental agreement. My building can provide a document stating I have been residing here since Jan 2022. Would this one page letter suffice? or do I need to print the entire rental agreement?

(b)For the second proof, I plan to provide my paystubs and letter from my employer. I got employed starting mid 2022, so therefore I will not have full 730 days paystubs. I am assuming this is okay but I just wanted to confirm in this group. Also do I need to provide each and every bi-weekly pay stub for this period?

Thank you in advance!

Appreciate any help.
You and your spouse have to submit separate applications.

Assuming that you do have at least 730 days in Canada looking back to May 2019, or the month in 2019 when you became a PR if later than May...
You only need to provide two pieces of evidence regarding the Residency Obligations. Period.
This simply means, for example, one bank statement and one [insert whatever you choose, here]. You do NOT need multiple years (or months) of evidence. Just provide evidence that you have resided in Canada during the 5-year window for the renewal.

davn15

Star Member
Jan 6, 2022
You and your spouse have to submit separate applications.

Assuming that you do have at least 730 days in Canada looking back to May 2019, or the month in 2019 when you became a PR if later than May...
You only need to provide two pieces of evidence regarding the Residency Obligations. Period.
This simply means, for example, one bank statement and one [insert whatever you choose, here]. You do NOT need multiple years (or months) of evidence. Just provide evidence that you have resided in Canada during the 5-year window for the renewal.
Thank you for your reply. Yes I have about 760 days at this point. My only other concern was not moving here earlier and if that would cause issues.

Is there a specific month of bank statement to provide?

For the other evidence, I could do a letter from my leasing office as address proof.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for your reply. Yes I have about 760 days at this point. My only other concern was not moving here earlier and if that would cause issues.

Is there a specific month of bank statement to provide?

For the other evidence, I could do a letter from my leasing office as address proof.
Provide the two bank statement to cover a span of the last ~700 days. The letter may be good enough, but consider including an alternate as well, if you can. Maybe a copy of your Canadian driving record since they will usually show residence info as well.

At this point, having accrued more than the required 730 days residing in Canada, everything before day one of that period is irrelevant. You have now met the only requirement; 730 days in Canada.

baba1234

Aug 4, 2011
Quick question to experts and VIP members if anyone applied for renewal and while it is in process stage left Canada, can he/she return Canada by using the old pr Card if it is still not expired and the new one has already arrived to his address.

davn15

Star Member
Jan 6, 2022
Provide the two bank statement to cover a span of the last ~700 days. The letter may be good enough, but consider including an alternate as well, if you can. Maybe a copy of your Canadian driving record since they will usually show residence info as well.

At this point, having accrued more than the required 730 days residing in Canada, everything before day one of that period is irrelevant. You have now met the only requirement; 730 days in Canada.
Ah thank you. I didn't think of Canadian driving record. It looks like certified copy takes 15 days.

Any idea if I can do the uncertified copy that can be downloaded online?

I have the following ready as of now for residency obligation. If this looks ok, I can go with this.

1. Bank statements, May 2022, Jan 2023, April 2024 (one for each year I have been here)
2. Paystubs (one for each year) and letter of employment from employer stating my duration at the company.

Thank you :)
Davn

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
1. Bank statements, May 2022, Jan 2023, April 2024 (one for each year I have been here)
2. Paystubs (one for each year) and letter of employment from employer stating my duration at the company.
You only need TWO pieces of evidence. Not specific proof that covers all the years of your presence. Eg one paystub for each year is more than enough. Add one bank statement or letter of employment if it makes you feel more relaxed about it.

davn15

Star Member
Jan 6, 2022
You only need TWO pieces of evidence. Not specific proof that covers all the years of your presence. Eg one paystub for each year is more than enough. Add one bank statement or letter of employment if it makes you feel more relaxed about it.
AHH! Got it. Thank you. I misread what they have on their website. It's so confusing.

Reactions: armoured

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ah thank you. I didn't think of Canadian driving record. It looks like certified copy takes 15 days.

Any idea if I can do the uncertified copy that can be downloaded online?

I have the following ready as of now for residency obligation. If this looks ok, I can go with this.

Thank you :)
Davn
It can be if you're looking for BC record. Should be available in other provinces as well.
I don't think that IRCC would even require a certified copy.

Having said that, I suggest just sending what you have already gathered.

Reactions: armoured