+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pr renew- address details

FortuneCAN

Apr 4, 2019
Hello All. If I stay outside of Canada for a long time ( like more than 1 year), which address should we use, the residential address in Canada or the address we stay outside of Canada for the PR Renew?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello All. If I stay outside of Canada for a long time ( like more than 1 year), which address should we use, the residential address in Canada or the address we stay outside of Canada for the PR Renew?
Confused with your question. You need to be inside Canada to apply for PR card renew. Use your Canadian address and expect your card shipped to that address.
You need to list that outside of Canada address in other part of the form for your address history.

FortuneCAN

Apr 4, 2019
Yes, I am in Canada, applying in Canada. My question was for the address history. I was outside of Canada more than 1 year in the past because of a family emergency but I had also home address in Canada same time. Which address do I need to use in the address history.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
So where did you "reside" during that time. You would be hard pressed to convince someone you are living in Canada being absent for over a year.

Reactions: YVR123

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, I am in Canada, applying in Canada. My question was for the address history. I was outside of Canada more than 1 year in the past because of a family emergency but I had also home address in Canada same time. Which address do I need to use in the address history.
While you were outside of Canada, were you receiving mail at that address? Did you refer to that address (to friends/family) as your home address? If so, use that address.

If, on the other hand, mail was being delivered to your `other' address in Canada and people still thought that was your address, use that and list the foreign address in the Travel History section.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I disagree with soem others here. Use your factual address, where you actually were. Exceptions really only if short trips, like a couple weeks.

Notice, you'll have to provide your travel history anyway (entries and exits), so they'll know you weren't in Canada.

FortuneCAN

Apr 4, 2019
thanks for the responses. I have 735 days in Canada now. Do you suggest me wait for one week more before I apply? Which one is faster, online or paper based application?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Then use the address that you are physically at (outside) for that one year.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Honestly, the people suggest to use Canadian address, some not. Looks like there is no one answer. I will use my Canadian address since that is my mail address.
Application for a Permanent Resident Card (PR card) or Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) [IMM 5444] - Canada.ca
4.1 – Address history
Your Address History:
You must list all the addresses you have lived at, inside and outside Canada for the past five (5) years, or since becoming a permanent resident if less than five (5) years ago. You must account for each month during this time. Leave no gaps in your travel, if applicable. Please ensure you list your addresses from the most recent address (your current address) to the oldest.

Note: If additional space is required, please include a separate document.

Up to you... I do not agree to use mailing address instead specially it's a year. (not a short period of time)

You need to disclose your travel outside of Canada anyway in section 5.

Reactions: armoured

FortuneCAN

Apr 4, 2019
As a result, they do not look the number of the stay days inside Canada since PR card? What kind of issue I could have if I have more than 730 days anyway?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
What I am saying. I have been inside Canada more than 730 daya since PR card issue. So, what issue could I have if I enter the address in Canada or out of Canada? I am not counting these days anyway.
That's why I don't see why anyone would suggest putting a different address than the factual one(s) where you resided - it's going to be obvious and there's no issue anyway. The instructions seem clear - factual addresses. No-one's going to give you points for having a mailing address in Canada when you were away for a year.

What matters is days in Canada.