+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PPR: wrong instructions sent by IRCC

av2020

Feb 5, 2020
Hi,

I am a Canadian PR living in Canada, sponsoring my wife who is a citizen of a non-visa-exempt country, but currently living in a visa-exempt country on a work permit.
She got a letter yesterday which looks like the PPR. However, it has instructions only for citizens of visa exempt countries, which is odd since she will require the PR visa to travel to Canada for landing.

The interesting thing is, on the first page of this letter all information looks accurate and they start by saying “..we are ready to issue you a permanent resident visa...” but on the next page it says “Instructions for citizens of visa exempt countries”, and they only ask for copies of passport.

The question is, did IRCC make a mistake and sent instructions for visa-exempt country to my wife by mistake, because she’s living in a visa exempt country? Or is it the standard operating procedure? What happens if she sends her passport anyway (along with the PPR letter, photos, both our passport photocopies as requested in the instructions)?

EDIT: Yesterday I called CPC Mississauga and the person I spoke to said “just send your passport”. My wife also called VAC (since there was no phone number provided for IRCC where she’s supposed to send the documents). VAC said to only follow instructions on the letter. She then explained my CPC call and VAC said that it’s our responsibility to ensure to send the passport safely, what if IRCC in her city does not take responsibility for the passport? Whom should I trust, CPC Mississauga or VAC in her country?

This is really weird situation. Is it safe to send the passport irrespective of whether they asked for it?

Also I remember when I got the PPR during EE, they had an annex page which I had to write my address on and sign which gave them permission to send passport over mail. But that was when my passport was going from US to Canada and back. She has to send the documents within the country she is currently living in. However there’s no Annex page for Her. Is it ok to send a return envelope and mailing label ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I am a Canadian PR living in Canada, sponsoring my wife who is a citizen of a non-visa-exempt country, but currently living in a visa-exempt country on a work permit.
She got a letter yesterday which looks like the PPR. However, it has instructions only for citizens of visa exempt countries, which is odd since she will require the PR visa to travel to Canada for landing.

The interesting thing is, on the first page of this letter all information looks accurate and they start by saying “..we are ready to issue you a permanent resident visa...” but on the next page it says “Instructions for citizens of visa exempt countries”, and they only ask for copies of passport.

The question is, did IRCC make a mistake and sent instructions for visa-exempt country to my wife by mistake, because she’s living in a visa exempt country? Or is it the standard operating procedure? What happens if she sends her passport anyway (along with the PPR letter, photos, both our passport photocopies as requested in the instructions)?

EDIT: Yesterday I called CPC Mississauga and the person I spoke to said “just send your passport”. My wife also called VAC (since there was no phone number provided for IRCC where she’s supposed to send the documents). VAC said to only follow instructions on the letter. She then explained my CPC call and VAC said that it’s our responsibility to ensure to send the passport safely, what if IRCC in her city does not take responsibility for the passport? Whom should I trust, CPC Mississauga or VAC in her country?

This is really weird situation. Is it safe to send the passport irrespective of whether they asked for it?

Also I remember when I got the PPR during EE, they had an annex page which I had to write my address on and sign which gave them permission to send passport over mail. But that was when my passport was going from US to Canada and back. She has to send the documents within the country she is currently living in. However there’s no Annex page for Her. Is it ok to send a return envelope and mailing label ?
PPR is generally a form letter that has instructions for both exempt and non exempt. She should just send her passport, as IRCC has said.

av2020

Feb 5, 2020
PPR is generally a form letter that has instructions for both exempt and non exempt. She should just send her passport, as IRCC has said.
Do you mean just passport copy or original passport. IRCC (in her country of residence) has given her instructions for visa-exempt countries which includes photos, copies of our passport, eye color and height information, etc but no passport.

I made two phone calls to CPC Missauga (in Canada): one person told me to send the passport anyway, the second person said to only send what asked and nothing more. Now I'm thoroughly confused. We have also contacted IRCC and awaiting their reply.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Do you mean just passport copy or original passport. IRCC (in her country of residence) has given her instructions for visa-exempt countries which includes photos, copies of our passport, eye color and height information, etc but no passport.

I made two phone calls to CPC Missauga (in Canada): one person told me to send the passport anyway, the second person said to only send what asked and nothing more. Now I'm thoroughly confused. We have also contacted IRCC and awaiting their reply.
She needs to send her actual passport. She must have a visa to travel to Canada. You don't send a copy of your passport.

av2020

Feb 5, 2020
She needs to send her actual passport. She must have a visa to travel to Canada. You don't send a copy of your passport.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I understand that she will eventually need to send her original passport to get the PR visa. The question is:

is this the standard operating procedure, i.e. an initial passport request where they are asking for copies of passport, eye color and height information, photos etc (i.e. instructions for visa exempt countries)? And then at some later point they will ask for actual passport.

OR

is this a mistake on their part where they should've sent instructions for visa-required countries as well.

I find it hard to believe that a form letter - as you said - that should be automatically generated by the system can make a mistake like this. The only variable that can cause this issue is the fact that she's living in a visa exempt country.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I understand that she will eventually need to send her original passport to get the PR visa. The question is:

is this the standard operating procedure, i.e. an initial passport request where they are asking for copies of passport, eye color and height information, photos etc (i.e. instructions for visa exempt countries)? And then at some later point they will ask for actual passport.

OR

is this a mistake on their part where they should've sent instructions for visa-required countries as well.

I find it hard to believe that a form letter - as you said - that should be automatically generated by the system can make a mistake like this. The only variable that can cause this issue is the fact that she's living in a visa exempt country.
I don't think I've ever seen PPR without both options, as it is just the standard form letter.

Copy and paste the letter with personal info removed.

Reactions: DiiDii

av2020

Feb 5, 2020
I don't think I've ever seen PPR without both options, as it is just the standard form letter.

Copy and paste the letter with personal info removed.
[Page 1 of 3]

<Personal information, barcode etc.>

Dear Madam/Sir,
We are ready to issue the permanent resident visa that entitles you to enter Canada. The
following information is required to complete your application.

If you do not respond within 30 days from the date of this letter (or before the expiry date of the
visas, whichever comes first), your file will be closed.

STATUS CHANGE
Has your family composition changed since our last correspondence?
 Have you gotten married or divorced?
 Have you given birth or adopted a child?
 Do you intend to get married or divorced prior to becoming a permanent resident?
 Do you intend to give birth or adopt a child prior to becoming a permanent resident?

If any of these conditions apply, you must inform the Paris office at: parisimmigration@
international.gc.ca

You will be asked to submit evidence such as a copy of the marriage, divorce, birth or adoption
certificate or a letter advising when and where the marriage, divorce, birth or adoption is
expected to take place. Any new spouse and/or children must be added to your application and
be found admissible to Canada before your case can be finalized. Failure to declare additional
dependants such as a spouse or children before you become a permanent resident could result in
the cancellation of your permanent resident visa and/or prevent you from sponsoring your
dependants in the future. Once your file is closed, you would be required to submit a new
application and pay new processing fees. Any new application would be assessed under the Act
and Regulations in force at the time of its submission.

[Page 2 of 3]

INSTRUCTIONS
For citizens of countries exempt
from obtaining a visa for travel to
Canada

You can find the list of exempted countries at the following website:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

Please send to the following address:

[Address]

The following documents:
1. Page 1 of this document.
2. The photocopy of the passport(s) of each person included in the application
3. 2 photos. For photo specifications, please consult the following website:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/pdf/5445EBe.
pdf
4. A letter outlining the height and eye colour for each member of your
accompanying family members.

Please do not present yourself in person at the Embassy of Canada in <city>.
Only documents received by mail will be processed.

Information for new immigrants
To apply for a permanent resident card, find information about how to start your life in Canada
or to find out what services are available near you, please consult the following website:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/residents/new_immigrants.asp
To cross the border: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/before-border.asp
Living in Canada: http://www.cic.gc.ca/lctvac/english/index
Welcome to Canada: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/welcome/index.asp

[Page 3 of 3]

Planning ahead

If your application is approved, you will be encouraged to obtain free pre-arrival services funded
by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). A variety of online services and inperson
sessions will be available to you, your spouse and your dependants once your application
is approved. These services will help you understand life in Canada, employment and how to
access other free settlement services once you arrive.

To learn more about these free pre-arrival services that you will be able to access before you
leave, please visit the IRCC website (canada.ca/before-services.asp). Please note that in order to
access these services, you must demonstrate to the service provider that you have been
successful in your permanent resident application. Therefore, you should wait until you receive a
positive eligibility decision or receive a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) prior to
requesting these services.

As you may know, Canada is a bilingual country where both French and English are spoken. If
you are interested in living in French, you can get information about Francophone life across
Canada by visiting: Canada.ca/francoimmigration.

You are encouraged to take advantage of free IRCC resources available online. Welcome to
Canada, the official handbook to help permanent residents prepare to come and settle in Canada,
is available at cic.gc.ca/publications. You will also find the videos entitled “Before You Arrive
in Canada” and “Your First Two Weeks in Canada” on the IRCC YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/CitImmCanada , which provide key information you need to
consider before coming to Canada and just after you arrive. The Living in Canada tool, which
provides you with a personalised settlement plan and identifies the closest Immigrant-Serving
Organization offering the services you need, is available at
http://www.cic.gc.ca/lctvac/English/index.

<End of letter>

There was no other information whatsoever for visa-required countries.

Last edited:
Reactions: armoured

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
[Page 1 of 3]

<Personal information, barcode etc.>

Dear Madam/Sir,
We are ready to issue the permanent resident visa that entitles you to enter Canada. The
following information is required to complete your application.

If you do not respond within 30 days from the date of this letter (or before the expiry date of the
visas, whichever comes first), your file will be closed.

STATUS CHANGE
Has your family composition changed since our last correspondence?
 Have you gotten married or divorced?
 Have you given birth or adopted a child?
 Do you intend to get married or divorced prior to becoming a permanent resident?
 Do you intend to give birth or adopt a child prior to becoming a permanent resident?

If any of these conditions apply, you must inform the Paris office at: parisimmigration@
international.gc.ca

You will be asked to submit evidence such as a copy of the marriage, divorce, birth or adoption
certificate or a letter advising when and where the marriage, divorce, birth or adoption is
expected to take place. Any new spouse and/or children must be added to your application and
be found admissible to Canada before your case can be finalized. Failure to declare additional
dependants such as a spouse or children before you become a permanent resident could result in
the cancellation of your permanent resident visa and/or prevent you from sponsoring your
dependants in the future. Once your file is closed, you would be required to submit a new
application and pay new processing fees. Any new application would be assessed under the Act
and Regulations in force at the time of its submission.

[Page 2 of 3]

INSTRUCTIONS
For citizens of countries exempt
from obtaining a visa for travel to
Canada

You can find the list of exempted countries at the following website:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

Please send to the following address:

[Address]

The following documents:
1. Page 1 of this document.
2. The photocopy of the passport(s) of each person included in the application
3. 2 photos. For photo specifications, please consult the following website:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/pdf/5445EBe.
pdf
4. A letter outlining the height and eye colour for each member of your
accompanying family members.

Please do not present yourself in person at the Embassy of Canada in <city>.
Only documents received by mail will be processed.

Information for new immigrants
To apply for a permanent resident card, find information about how to start your life in Canada
or to find out what services are available near you, please consult the following website:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/residents/new_immigrants.asp
To cross the border: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/before-border.asp
Living in Canada: http://www.cic.gc.ca/lctvac/english/index
Welcome to Canada: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/welcome/index.asp

[Page 3 of 3]

Planning ahead

If your application is approved, you will be encouraged to obtain free pre-arrival services funded
by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). A variety of online services and inperson
sessions will be available to you, your spouse and your dependants once your application
is approved. These services will help you understand life in Canada, employment and how to
access other free settlement services once you arrive.

To learn more about these free pre-arrival services that you will be able to access before you
leave, please visit the IRCC website (canada.ca/before-services.asp). Please note that in order to
access these services, you must demonstrate to the service provider that you have been
successful in your permanent resident application. Therefore, you should wait until you receive a
positive eligibility decision or receive a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) prior to
requesting these services.

As you may know, Canada is a bilingual country where both French and English are spoken. If
you are interested in living in French, you can get information about Francophone life across
Canada by visiting: Canada.ca/francoimmigration.

You are encouraged to take advantage of free IRCC resources available online. Welcome to
Canada, the official handbook to help permanent residents prepare to come and settle in Canada,
is available at cic.gc.ca/publications. You will also find the videos entitled “Before You Arrive
in Canada” and “Your First Two Weeks in Canada” on the IRCC YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/CitImmCanada , which provide key information you need to
consider before coming to Canada and just after you arrive. The Living in Canada tool, which
provides you with a personalised settlement plan and identifies the closest Immigrant-Serving
Organization offering the services you need, is available at
http://www.cic.gc.ca/lctvac/English/index.

<End of letter>

There was no other information whatsoever for visa-required countries.
Weird. I would just send the actual passport.

av2020

Feb 5, 2020
Weird. I would just send the actual passport.
Thanks. I have submitted the question regarding this issue on WebForm. Will wait couple of days more for a reply, else I'll ask her to send the passport anyway with an explanation.

Regarding return envelope. They have not asked for it. Is it advisable to send a return shipping label and an extra envelope just in case. Or is shipping already included in the fees we paid?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks. I have submitted the question regarding this issue on WebForm. Will wait couple of days more for a reply, else I'll ask her to send the passport anyway with an explanation.

Regarding return envelope. They have not asked for it. Is it advisable to send a return shipping label and an extra envelope just in case. Or is shipping already included in the fees we paid?
If it were me, I would send the return envelope.

av2020

Feb 5, 2020
Thanks for everyone's help. My wife raised a webform request and within couple of days they sent the new PPR letter; this time it was highly detailed! It had lots of instructions for visa-exempt and visa-required countries, what all options we have to send the passport etc.

NOTE: You CANNOT send your passport directly to IRCC <City> (i.e. the IRCC office in Canadian consulate in that city). If you are sending passport it has to be through the VAC (VFS in this case). The new PPR letter made it explicit. You can only send copies of passport and other required documents to IRCC <City> if you are visa-exempt.

I'm glad we didn't hurriedly send it to the IRCC and waited for the webform reply. Else they would've just returned it.