+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Potential sponsorship - other relative option

crossiwre

Star Member
Jan 11, 2019
Hi all, i am helping my friend decide if they can sponsor their sister who lives in Mexico. He is 53 and she is 52. She does have older kids who are living elsewhere in Mexico and one son here in Canada. Also, she has visited here over the last 5 years and accumulated close to 2 years of time via ETA. Not sure how that would be an advantage if needed.

My friend is currently a PR here in Canada and close to becoming a citizen in a few months. I read that he can potentially choose other relative option to sponsor his sister. The time frame for other relative does not yield anything on the gov website when i checked so not sure how long it takes. My question is whether he can sponsor her under the other relative program or should the sister's son who just received his PR sponsor her under the parent sponsor which takes 24 months hence not sure which one is the better route. Much thanks for any insights.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The son cannot sponsor until the waiting list is open again, AND he gets selected, AND meets the financial criteria. All told minimum several years away.

The brother can sponsor if he does not have other relatives (see the instroctions) alive and/or in Canada. If he meets criteria, apply now. No timelines posted but figure two to four years. (My guess)

In theory could have more than one app in process, but won't be an issue for a few years at least.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all, i am helping my friend decide if they can sponsor their sister who lives in Mexico. He is 53 and she is 52. She does have older kids who are living elsewhere in Mexico and one son here in Canada. Also, she has visited here over the last 5 years and accumulated close to 2 years of time via ETA. Not sure how that would be an advantage if needed.

My friend is currently a PR here in Canada and close to becoming a citizen in a few months. I read that he can potentially choose other relative option to sponsor his sister. The time frame for other relative does not yield anything on the gov website when i checked so not sure how long it takes. My question is whether he can sponsor her under the other relative program or should the sister's son who just received his PR sponsor her under the parent sponsor which takes 24 months hence not sure which one is the better route. Much thanks for any insights.
Based on what you've said, your friend cannot sponsor his sister since he doesn't meet the "lonely Canadian" criteria with a nephew in Canada.

Based on the above, only option is for the son to sponsor her. As said in the earlier response you received, this means the son needs to qualify (meet the income requirements) and wait for the PGP pool to reopen, then wait to be selected. So PR is at best a few years away for his mother.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ok thank you again and will report this back to them. Will just apply for visitor visa for now.
The mother should also be aware that if spent 2 out of 5 years on a normal TRV there may be concerns about how much time she is visiting Canada and how is she supporting herself. At her age (would have spent long periods in time in Canada since late 40s) she should be working and not able to spend 2 out of 5 years visiting Canada. The demand for parent sponsorship far exceeds the number of spots available and there is no guarantee what the program will continue to look like so she needs a plan B if she can’t be sponsored and get PR in Canada.