+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PMM Help pls (FSW Cat1 /PNP confusion)

larka81

Apr 1, 2009
Hello PMM and all,
I am currently living in alberta on a work permit. I applied for FSW cat1 (the new law) to CIU Sydney NS in Feb 09. In three weeks I got a response from them saying that they want me to send the full application with the required documents to Islamabad within 120 days (June 09) or they will assume I am no longer interested in immigrating to Canada.

Now the good/bad news is that I just found out that I am also able to file PR through Alberta PNP program and my employer is willing to file the paper work for me. I am now tempted to go PNP route because Buffalo only takes 5-9 months to process PNP applications and it would be closer and PNP just seems like a safer route.

Would it be ok If I dont send the required documents to Islamabad within the time frame and instead apply for PNP through buffalo?

If i go through PNP route through buffalo do I have to pay the fee again or I would just need the receipt that i recieved from CIU Sydney NS. OR I would have to ask Islamabad to withdraw my application and refund the fee?

IF I go the PNP route, Do I have to notify Islamabad that I have decided to go with PNP at Buffalo instead?

If Buffalo, in the last stage asks for my passport for stamping, Can a Pakistani passport be mailed out of Canada to US? or I would have to physically go there.

Your immediate help would be highly appreciated to clear up my mind.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

larka81 said:
Hello PMM and all,
I am currently living in alberta on a work permit. I applied for FSW cat1 (the new law) to CIU Sydney NS in Feb 09. In three weeks I got a response from them saying that they want me to send the full application with the required documents to Islamabad within 120 days (June 09) or they will assume I am no longer interested in immigrating to Canada.

Now the good/bad news is that I just found out that I am also able to file PR through Alberta PNP program and my employer is willing to file the paper work for me. I am now tempted to go PNP route because Buffalo only takes 5-9 months to process PNP applications and it would be closer and PNP just seems like a safer route.

Would it be ok If I dont send the required documents to Islamabad within the time frame and instead apply for PNP through buffalo?

If i go through PNP route through buffalo do I have to pay the fee again or I would just need the receipt that i recieved from CIU Sydney NS. OR I would have to ask Islamabad to withdraw my application and refund the fee?

IF I go the PNP route, Do I have to notify Islamabad that I have decided to go with PNP at Buffalo instead?

If Buffalo, in the last stage asks for my passport for stamping, Can a Pakistani passport be mailed out of Canada to US? or I would have to physically go there.

Your immediate help would be highly appreciated to clear up my mind.
1. Why not run both applications at the same time, if you get PR then cancel the other application, it will cost you the processing fees, but it is like wearing a belt and suspenders, individually both will keep your pants up, but if one breaks, the other will still keep your pants up.
2. If you are in Canada on a work permit, why did you request the application go to Isbad rather than Buffalo?
3. Yes you can mail passports in and out of Canada. (Use a courier, much safer.)

PMM

larka81

Apr 1, 2009
Hey PMM Thanks for the quick reply.

I was under the impression that you can only apply buffalo if you have been living in US or you are applying through PNP or Experience class and as i am a citizen of Pakistan, I could only apply at Islamabad. I guess I was wrong and should have asked you before applying.

Anyways, on the letter they sent me it says that I could contact CHC Islamabad and request case withdrawal and refund of fees. So i guess at this stage I could get a refund.

If i run both application it would not only cost more, I would have to obtain two criminal records from 4 different places and plus my spouses as well and plus other documents as well. If you'd have to pick one which one would u pick PNP or FSW cat 1.

Thanks again for taking time out and helping all these people not only on this forum but on the other forums as well.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

larka81 said:
Hey PMM Thanks for the quick reply.

I was under the impression that you can only apply buffalo if you have been living in US or you are applying through PNP or Experience class and as i am a citizen of Pakistan, I could only apply at Islamabad. I guess I was wrong and should have asked you before applying.

Anyways, on the letter they sent me it says that I could contact CHC Islamabad and request case withdrawal and refund of fees. So i guess at this stage I could get a refund.

If i run both application it would not only cost more, I would have to obtain two criminal records from 4 different places and plus my spouses as well and plus other documents as well. If you'd have to pick one which one would u pick PNP or FSW cat 1.

Thanks again for taking time out and helping all these people not only on this forum but on the other forums as well.
1. Well remember the story about a bird in had is better than 2 in the bush?
2. If you qualify FSW1 the applications should be processed in 6-12 months.
3. You don't have the PNP certificate in hand as the employer hasn't applied for it as yet, right. So if it was me I would go for the FSW1, if the employer comes up with the PNP certificate before the 120 days, then make a decision. You should get a letter from your employer thats states s/he will employ you permanently once you are a PR, this should enhance your application.
4. Remember this only my opinion, it is your life and in the end you must make the decision that you feel is best for you and your family.

PMM

larka81

Apr 1, 2009
Hi PMM,

I have decided to go with the FSW Cat 1 route and I almsot have all the documents ready to go.

About a month ago I asked CIU (mailed a letter with reference number) if its possible to send my full application to Buffalo instead of Islamabad (as i found out from you that I could apply at buffalo as well) but I haven't heard anything back from them. I feel like i have made simple things complicated by a stupid mistake.

Should i wait and expect an answer back from CIU or just send everything to Islamabad?

one more question

are you allowed to open a business in Canada if you are on an open work permit?

Thanks alot for your help and suggestions.