+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP- Open work permit-additional $100 payment link to existing application

Spottsworth

Jun 3, 2015
I applied for my PGWP online couple of weeks ago and I was prompted to pay only $155 while submitting the application. However I have got to know now that an additional $100 payment is required for open work permit.
I can pay it on CIC website through - Immigration-> Temporary Residence -> Open work permit.

However I have no clue how to link it to my existing PGWP application as it doesn't ask for your app# or reference number while making the payment.

I have not received any notification from CIC so far to make the $100 payment. I would like to make the payment regardless(to avoid delay/rejection on my application).
I called the CIC helpline and they said there is no way to link the additional payment to the application. Also they said, "I might either be notified to pay OR my application might be rejected directly". This sounds really bizarre as it isn't my fault.

If anybody is aware of how to link the $100 payment receipt with the PGWP application, please share information about it.

thanks in advance!

pparisa

Mar 25, 2015
I also applied for pgwp in March and only paid $155 ( still waiting for a decision). I believe you cannot pay extra $100 now. Once CIC starts to process your application they will notify you to pay remaining $100. Also I think (not sure) that if they decide to approve your application you will be charged that extra $100 but if they reject your application you will not be charged extra.

jay9091

Star Member
Apr 15, 2015
Spottsworth said:
I applied for my PGWP online couple of weeks ago and I was prompted to pay only $155 while submitting the application. However I have got to know now that an additional $100 payment is required for open work permit.
I can pay it on CIC website through - Immigration-> Temporary Residence -> Open work permit.

However I have no clue how to link it to my existing PGWP application as it doesn't ask for your app# or reference number while making the payment.

I have not received any notification from CIC so far to make the $100 payment. I would like to make the payment regardless(to avoid delay/rejection on my application).
I called the CIC helpline and they said there is no way to link the additional payment to the application. Also they said, "I might either be notified to pay OR my application might be rejected directly". This sounds really bizarre as it isn't my fault.

If anybody is aware of how to link the $100 payment receipt with the PGWP application, please share information about it.

thanks in advance!
You have to pay $100 in advance and attach the receipt in the optional documents section while applying for the permit. There is no way to do it now. Just wait until you get a message from CIC to do this part and upload the documents again.

But thing is, i paid for my $100 and attached the receipt but later it asked me for $255 after uploading and verifying the documents and i ended up paying $100 extra.

Spottsworth

Jun 3, 2015
Thanks pparisa and jay9091 for your inputs.
Meanwhile, I stumbled upon this link <<students.ubc.ca/international>> which provides additional information.
It appears to me that UBC immigration advisors must have had some interaction with CIC before they arrived at the step-by-step instruction guide. Although my scenario is not precisely addressed in the UBC International Student Guide, I am thinking about the following resolution to proactively pay the $100 open work permit fee before I am notified by CIC:
1. Pay fees online on CIC portal with the method described in the UBC link
2. Raise a case specific enquiry form and upload the receipt (Case specific enquiry form accepts our Client ID and file #. So I am assuming there should be some way to link the payment to my application)

jay9091

Star Member
Apr 15, 2015
Spottsworth said:
Thanks pparisa and jay9091 for your inputs.
Meanwhile, I stumbled upon this link <<students.ubc.ca/international>> which provides additional information.
It appears to me that UBC immigration advisors must have had some interaction with CIC before they arrived at the step-by-step instruction guide. Although my scenario is not precisely addressed in the UBC International Student Guide, I am thinking about the following resolution to proactively pay the $100 open work permit fee before I am notified by CIC:
1. Pay fees online on CIC portal with the method described in the UBC link
2. Raise a case specific enquiry form and upload the receipt (Case specific enquiry form accepts our Client ID and file #. So I am assuming there should be some way to link the payment to my application)
Ya, sure you can go ahead with that, or better call CIC agents and ask them some solution.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Spottsworth said:

thanks in advance!

1. You must pay additional $100 'Open Work Permit Holder' (different than post graduate work permit fees $155) fees before processing start.
2. You can pay it under 'online payment system'. Must upload the additional fees receipt under 'letter of explanation' option.

pankaj222148

Jun 18, 2015
Hello J5M,

Thanks for the valuable information. Can you please let me know where can I find "letter of explanation" option once I have submitted my application. I tried searching for the same but could not find it.

Thanks in advance.

With regards,
Pankaj

joe4temp

Aug 18, 2012
Hello,

My question #1: Did anyone got positive/negative response from CIC? I want to know if anybody were asked to pay the additional fee or their file got rejected.
Question #2:Let's say they refused. In my case, My student permit expired on July 31st and currently I have no status but because my file is under process I have the right to stay. What if my file gets rejected? Can I still stay and apply again (I've heard I can stay 90 days after my student/work permit expires to be able to apply for PGWP)

Now my current situation.

I have the same case. When I applied online, it did not ask me (or I may have ignored being unaware of the new rule) to pay this additional $100. I called CIC today morning and an agent said she's gonna send me a link to pay remaining $100 and another link where I can file a form (she was talking about case specific enquiry form I guess) but eventually I only got one link which is about paying.

I called them again today after making payment of $100 (of course I could not link it to my application) and another agent had different answer saying there is nothing I can do right now except waiting for them to contact me OR they may reject. Well that's the last thing I would wanna have.

So answers for the above two questions are very critical for me as I don't know what's gonna happen.

joe4temp

Aug 18, 2012
Okay let me answer my own questions here because I recently got my work permit approved and also received it. :)
Answer to my question #1: Yes I received positive response from CIC, took so long and had to ping them now and then about my application status but finally saw application approved online and got my document within the next week.
Answer to question#2: As in my case, it got approved, I guess I cannot answer this question. So for the students or people like me I would say just keep your fingers crossed and be positive. Hopefully everything is going to work out well.

seikokimura

Star Member
Oct 16, 2017
Hello,

My question #1: Did anyone got positive/negative response from CIC? I want to know if anybody were asked to pay the additional fee or their file got rejected.
Question #2:Let's say they refused. In my case, My student permit expired on July 31st and currently I have no status but because my file is under process I have the right to stay. What if my file gets rejected? Can I still stay and apply again (I've heard I can stay 90 days after my student/work permit expires to be able to apply for PGWP)

Now my current situation.

I have the same case. When I applied online, it did not ask me (or I may have ignored being unaware of the new rule) to pay this additional $100. I called CIC today morning and an agent said she's gonna send me a link to pay remaining $100 and another link where I can file a form (she was talking about case specific enquiry form I guess) but eventually I only got one link which is about paying.

I called them again today after making payment of $100 (of course I could not link it to my application) and another agent had different answer saying there is nothing I can do right now except waiting for them to contact me OR they may reject. Well that's the last thing I would wanna have.

So answers for the above two questions are very critical for me as I don't know what's gonna happen.
Hi there. Same case here. I forgot to upload the receipt and I'm about to go into implied status. Could you please share what happened after that? Did they reject your application and had to restore your status?

seikokimura

Star Member
Oct 16, 2017
Hi all. About forgetting to attach the receipt, before submitting application. Does anyone know how can I send them, now? (after application was already submitted)

Ha97

Jun 10, 2018
Hi all. About forgetting to attach the receipt, before submitting application. Does anyone know how can I send them, now? (after application was already submitted)
You only have two options now..
Either you wait for CIC to ask you for the remaining payment or get a rejection stating you didn’t pay the full amount

seikokimura

Star Member
Oct 16, 2017
You only have two options now..
Either you wait for CIC to ask you for the remaining payment or get a rejection stating you didn’t pay the full amount
Hum... so either way, it seems that I'll have to wait, right? It'll be awful if they decide to reject my application, cause I'll be out of status.