+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship - Income requirements

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
I did, but there was a misunderstanding. I calculated the number of people as 2 - mom and dad. Apparently it is 3 - me, mom and dad. For 2 people it is 40K in 2018, and my NOA is for 46K. So I thought I was good.
If the number of people is 2 mom and dad. Then it should be 2 for practically almost everyone.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
I did, but there was a misunderstanding. I calculated the number of people as 2 - mom and dad. Apparently it is 3 - me, mom and dad. For 2 people it is 40K in 2018, and my NOA is for 46K. So I thought I was good.
If you do give it a shot let us know the outcome.

Who knows maybe for once @scylla could be wrong?

If you try there is always a chance. I would if I were you. It is so hard to win the lottery. What's betting a few dollars to apply and see if you are even luckier?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you do give it a shot let us know the outcome.

Who knows maybe for once @scylla could be wrong?

If you try there is always a chance. I would if I were you. It is so hard to win the lottery. What's betting a few dollars to apply and see if you are even luckier?
0% chance I'm wrong on LICO and the number of people. LICO is 3 people for the OP. This is PGP 101.

Lots of other things I could be wrong about but not this.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
0% chance I'm wrong on LICO and the number of people. LICO is 3 people for the OP. This is PGP 101.

Lots of other things I could be wrong about but not this.
OP has the income just not the taxes filed in the right place.

Is there any integrated accounting and legal firm that can get it all done correctly within the next 50 days?

Probably cos a few thousand but clearly OP can afford that.

Pity to lose the spot he/she so luckily snagged.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
OP has the income just not the taxes filed in the right place.

Is there any integrated accounting and legal firm that can get it all done correctly within the next 50 days?

Probably cos a few thousand but clearly OP can afford that.

Pity to lose the spot he/she so luckily snagged.
He can easily hire an accounting firm to refile taxes quickly. Whether he can get an updated NOA back within 50 days is another matter and is in the hands of CRA (and completely out of his control).

Additionally, as someone else here said, even if the NOA is refiled to include the foreign income, it's not guaranteed that IRCC will consider the foreign income in LICO. Here's the specific language off the IRCC web site. Note the word "can" (vs. "will").

As a rule, financial resources must originate from Canadian sources. An officer can, however, consider income received from foreign sources if it was declared by the sponsor to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and appears on their Notice of Assessment (NOA). It is important to note that income abroad may not be a reliable indicator of future or stable employment in Canada. IRCC staff cannot easily verify if foreign income can be transferred to Canada and converting foreign income into Canadian dollars can be resource-intensive. In cases of default, collection and litigation, it is easier to recover income from Canadian sources.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-assessing-sponsor.html

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
He can easily hire an accounting firm to refile taxes quickly. Whether he can get an updated NOA back within 50 days is another matter and is in the hands of CRA (and completely out of his control).

Additionally, as someone else here said, even if the NOA is refiled to include the foreign income, it's not guaranteed that IRCC will consider the foreign income in LICO. Here's the specific language off the IRCC web site. Note the word "can" (vs. "will").

As a rule, financial resources must originate from Canadian sources. An officer can, however, consider income received from foreign sources if it was declared by the sponsor to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and appears on their Notice of Assessment (NOA). It is important to note that income abroad may not be a reliable indicator of future or stable employment in Canada. IRCC staff cannot easily verify if foreign income can be transferred to Canada and converting foreign income into Canadian dollars can be resource-intensive. In cases of default, collection and litigation, it is easier to recover income from Canadian sources.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-assessing-sponsor.html
@wickerman "can" sounds pretty good to me to give it a shot! Dont you think?

You never know. You pass on this chance after snagging a spot and it could be another 10 years before you win the lottery again.

wickerman

Jun 20, 2017
@wickerman "can" sounds pretty good to me to give it a shot! Dont you think?

You never know. You pass on this chance after snagging a spot and it could be another 10 years before you win the lottery again.
I know, I will apply regardless. Does it make a difference that I worked for the same company throughout? I mean I can submit my paystubs uninterrupted fromnthe same firm for the entirety of 2018. Infact I have been with them since 2016. The only difference being my salary between Jan and Aug was in US dollars, paid int he US, taxed in the US and filed tax returns in the US.

I also declared that income in the tax filing documents, but since I had already filed taxes in the US, CRA considered my income as only being between Aug and December - which was 46K - and that is what is mentioned in the NOA.

Reactions: nayr69sg

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
I know, I will apply regardless. Does it make a difference that I worked for the same company throughout? I mean I can submit my paystubs uninterrupted fromnthe same firm for the entirety of 2018. Infact I have been with them since 2016. The only difference being my salary between Jan and Aug was in US dollars, paid int he US, taxed in the US and filed tax returns in the US.

I also declared that income in the tax filing documents, but since I had already filed taxes in the US, CRA considered my income as only being between Aug and December - which was 46K - and that is what is mentioned in the NOA.
Good to hear you are going to try!

Dont waste the spot!

Good luck!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Good to hear you are going to try!

Dont waste the spot!

Good luck!
You are encouraging someone while they don’t meet the LICO amount which is wasting a spot. If OP refiles they still wouldn’t be a tax resident in Canada for 2018 and the US income would not be considered taxable. Bringing parents to Canada is a huge benefit so Canada considers the amount of taxable income and therefore taxes you’ve contributed in Canada and your salary abroad while you weren’t living in Canada would lead to those who had not contributed to the Canadian tax base being able to sponsor their parents. Agree with @scylla that it is definitely 3 people. No question.

Reactions: Qwertypod

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Refiling stating your international income before you became a PR In August doesn’t change your taxable income for 2018 or your tax resident status. This isn’t international income you made while a PR living in Canada but income when you were a non-resident and not a PR.

Reactions: Qwertypod

wickerman

Jun 20, 2017
Refiling stating your international income before you became a PR doesn’t change your taxable income for 2018.
Gotcha I didnt think so. I am just going to try and apply. If they refuse my application they will give me back the application fee, and even if they dont, it isnt that much of an issue I think. The other user wasnt encouraging me though, I would have filed regardless, I was just exploring options. But when you get an invite it seems wasteful to not try at all.

Reactions: nayr69sg

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Refiling stating your international income before you became a PR In August doesn’t change your taxable income for 2018 or your tax resident status. This isn’t international income you made while a PR living in Canada but income when you were a non-resident and not a PR.
He can apply. Then he can wait 2 years and got refused. Then at that point, he can submit his interest to sponsor again.
The spot is taken already... sigh.

And the application fee is not refundable. Only the landing fee.
You will need to go throught medical, bio-metric, crimial check...etc. Sometimes, they refuse pretty late in the process.

Reactions: canuck78

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Gotcha I didnt think so. I am just going to try and apply. If they refuse my application they will give me back the application fee, and even if they dont, it isnt that much of an issue I think. The other user wasnt encouraging me though, I would have filed regardless, I was just exploring options. But when you get an invite it seems wasteful to not try at all.
Yes indeed it is wasteful to not try at all.

If I were you I would consult some professionals to see if they can assist or improve your application.

The lottery is such that having resources doesnt do a damn thing if you dont win the lottery. But hey when you have won a spot do your best!

wickerman

Jun 20, 2017
He can apply. Then he can wait 2 years and got refused. Then at that point, he can submit his interest to sponsor again.
The spot is taken already... sigh.

And the application fee is not refundable. Only the landing fee.
You will need to go throught medical, bio-metric, crimial check...etc. Sometimes, they refuse pretty late in the process.
Would you have to wait 2 years to hear that you are refused? So no chance of knowing before 2022? Because if I have to wait 2 years, to hear back and THEN apply, it will be too late I am afraid. Then it would make sense to not apply at all now and just wait for next year when I can be sure that if selected, my application will be approved.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Would you have to wait 2 years to hear that you are refused? So no chance of knowing before 2022? Because if I have to wait 2 years, to hear back and THEN apply, it will be too late I am afraid. Then it would make sense to not apply at all now and just wait for next year when I can be sure that if selected, my application will be approved.
It is possible because they have to review all the applications. You may not get your refusal for another year or two depending on processing times. However, you may not be selected again for many years.

Reactions: YVR123 and nayr69sg