+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parent Sponsorship - Pros and Cons

Chrysallys

Jun 25, 2004
Why? Is that a serious question?

I am an American who married a Canadian. We have chosen to live in Canada and raise our son. We are now starting the paperwork to bring my mom here. Why would we bring her here? I am an only child. I am all she has. My son is her only grandchild. We have very little family left and she is 72 and alone. Would you want your parent left to age and die alone?

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
I think you are too emotional which makes it difficult for you to be respectful of others' opinions. Take a deep breathe, re-read my comment and others. You are making a lot of assumptions i.e. anyone one who disagrees with you must be in support of "admittance with no caps". Did you miss the words "balance", etc from my comment?

When I talk about "society reducing everything to numbers", I am referring to money being placed before compassion, understanding, kindness, etc. That does not mean money should be discounted, but the gov't needs to find a way to balance it but not at the expense of the above factors.

I gave you a very good example of the mothers and grandmothers of many canadian citizens who haven't worked a day outside the home. How would it feel if the other canadians of their time who had two working parents, felt they were a burden to healthcare services because they didn't pay into it? Interesting enough, you don't seem to be endorcing the numbers game in this scenario but only when it applies to immigrants(and their families) which makes your argument disingenious at best.

A few facts, just in case you aren't informed:
1. Canada needs more people to enter the labor force. This can be achieved directly by admitting more young qualified immigrants. But you can't ignore their young wives, who would also enter the workforce, IF they have safe and affordable childcare. Again if you don't live Quebec, you are paying through the roof for daycare.
In many cultures, the concept of daycare is quite foreign and not a safe option particularly if children are too young to speak. The next best thing is leaving children with their grandparents. The supervisa or sponsorship allows them to stay for longer periods but supervisa means paying $150 to CIC every couple years to renew it or spending money on flights after every 2 years to leave and return. That's why it isn't a long term solution to many immigrants.

With the grandparents here, it allows the mother to get back to work, save on childcare cost and not worry about the safety of her child(ren). If you are looking just at numbers, you can say the parents don't "contribute" but the total package paints a different story. In my city alone, that will be $1600/month saved for two children, can't put a price on grandparents' love, and happier family life. The children learn their dialect, culture, etc from their grandparents. I challenge you to read about Sweden's policies for family life and you soon realise how much Canada lags behind.

2. Due to #1, there are talks of CPP reform. It is almost empty, meaning you and I can not rely on it for retirement. The retirement age was increased to 67, I forget when it comes into effect(if it hasn't already). But a select few believe marginalising immigrants(and their families) will solve their problems.

3. Population - the rate of death is higher than births. So immigration helps balance this. Canada is paying dearly for decades of admitting foreign students but doing precious little to retain them. Back then, they had 90 days(later increased to 120 days) to find a job or return home. So the best and brightest moved to where they were wanted and needed - the USA. Or in some instances, from smaller provinces to bigger ones. Why do you think the Canadian Experience Class came into being?

4. Parental sponsorship can not cease to exist because the political parties need the immigrant vote. Period. Again, we are down to just numbers(votes), aren't we?

5. Every gov't fears an informed public. So they strategically sow seeds of division and the populace, wrapped up in a "me vs them" mentality swallows it up. Don't you ever wonder why a Senator can rip off taxpayers and just be tossed from office but not jailed but the average citizen will? Don't you ever wonder about MPs and Senotors' fat pensions? Don't you ever wonder, if theirs had a cap that you and I who have worked all our lives could have a little more of the pie too?
While the gov't works hard to convince you that immigrants' parents clog the system, don't you ever wonder that it was clogged even before the parents got here?

Rob_TO said:
That is a whole other discussion in itself.

No, if we reduced everything to numbers than the PGP program would not even exist, period.

In a society that is only driven by money, bringing in people at an average age of 65 with access to our expensive health services, would simply not happen. Also if this was driven by money, PGP program would check the parents age, savings account, chance of employment in Canada, etc... but they don't.

The very fact the PGP program exists shows that Canadians are generous and hospitable people, and open to family reunification and humanitarian causes. But the numbers are a fact of life whether you like it or not, so between closing the program completely or having one where everyone is admitted with no caps and no long wait times... there is a nice middle ground that allows the benefit of having parents move here, while keeping the costs to other taxpayers under control.

jomz

May 3, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2013
AOR Received.
28-11-2013
File Transfer...
04-12-2013
Med's Done....
19-08-2013
Interview........
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
16-05-2014 inchallah
I wholeheartedly agree with SenioritaBella. +1

What a lot of people fail to understand is the government's statements such as "parent sponsorship is costing Canadian too much etc." is simply designed to have the general public's support in reducing and maybe one day eliminating parent sponsorship. It really bothers me that majority of population believes in everything that is related to them through media, via news, newspapers etc. If one was to do their own research you would see quite clearly that statements made by the government, although have some merit, are not entirely truthful and are not based on all of the actual facts and research. The government always looks for a "scapegoat", now with respect to inflated healthcare costs instead of looking at the real problems within the system that is broken, they point the finger at elderly immigrants. So in the end, if taxes go up, they will say "there is too much of a burden on the healthcare system and we have no choice but to raise taxes." Through the media, the government is paving a way for themselves to justify their next (upcoming) moves.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
SenoritaBella said:
I think you are too emotional which makes it difficult for you to be respectful of others' opinions. Take a deep breathe, re-read my comment and others. You are making a lot of assumptions i.e. anyone one who disagrees with you must be in support of "admittance with no caps". Did you miss the words "balance", etc from my comment?

When I talk about "society reducing everything to numbers", I am referring to money being placed before compassion, understanding, kindness, etc. That does not mean money should be discounted, but the gov't needs to find a way to balance it but not at the expense of the above factors.
Actually I would say you are the one being more emotional about it :) I am trying to be logical by recognizing the PGP program as a good one and one that should continue forever, but am also educated about the numbers behind it. As i said, if money was placed before compassion than the PGP program would not even exist in the first place.

I gave you a very good example of the mothers and grandmothers of many canadian citizens who haven't worked a day outside the home. How would it feel if the other canadians of their time who had two working parents, felt they were a burden to healthcare services because they didn't pay into it? Interesting enough, you don't seem to be endorcing the numbers game in this scenario but only when it applies to immigrants(and their families) which makes your argument disingenious at best.
Canadian citizens have rights. If someone is a Canadian citizen by being born here, or immigrated here and became citizens, then they are fully entitled to all the benefits of Canada no matter what. So i would never question even remotely, giving any services to someone who lived their life as a homemaker and never worked.

Unfortunately citizens often do abuse the system by leeching of social services and not bothering to look for work, but again that is a whole other issue. Here we are just looking at the immigration aspects to it, since this is an immigration forum after all.

A few facts, just in case you aren't informed:
You make it sound like i'm against immigration in general, which is nonsense. My wife immigrated to Canada, and I love the multi-cultural aspect of my city that only exists due to Canada's generous immigration policy. I suggest you go back and re-read my posts here, as i've mentioned probably a dozen times how the PGP and immigration programs in general are all good things, and agree completely with all the benefits they bring.

The only thing i'm trying to say is that there has to be controls dealing with the PGP program, since a PGP immigrant on average will cost much more to the tax payer, vs an immigrant in other classes. You seem to also agree that there need to be checks and balances along the way and we can't simply admit everyone's families with no caps... so we are actually talking about the same thing.

jomz said:
What a lot of people fail to understand is the government's statements such as "parent sponsorship is costing Canadian too much etc." is simply designed to have the general public's support in reducing and maybe one day eliminating parent sponsorship. It really bothers me that majority of population believes in everything that is related to them through media, via news, newspapers etc. If one was to do their own research you would see quite clearly that statements made by the government, although have some merit, are not entirely truthful and are not based on all of the actual facts and research.
I actually don't know what the government or media is saying about the PGP program, as there aren't many articles written on the subject. I've done my own research completely separate from this on our healthcare system in general, so know what the costs are and all the problems and inefficiencies in it. I'll say again that I hope the PGP program is never eliminated, but also know that Canada does need to be aware of the costs to tax payers, and to adjust the program accordingly when needed.