+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parent Sponsorship - Pros and Cons

sunshinemrc

Dec 16, 2013
Just curious as to reasons why one would sponsor parents for PR to Canada. I mean unless your home country is a war zone I don't think it's a good idea to bring parents here. Chances are that they can live quite comfortable in their home country with their kids providing for them with funds from Canada. This of course is just my personal opinion. Personally me and my husband will not sponsor his parents here, they live comfortably in their home country, they have friends there, loads of family, have their doctors who they trust, speak the language, know the laws etc. Plus we can always travel to visit. I think that bringing parents here is really doing them a disservice (personal feeling only, please do not offense).

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Well yes, its just opinions. As for me, I am only child who enjoyed every comfort in life due to parents work and sacrifice. Now they are old and need to be with a family member, thus its my duty and moral obligation to take care of them. Technically I would prefer them to live back home where they have more friends etc but circumstances don't warrant that

Not all cultures, countries have the "home" concept, frankly I find it an insult. For some, its very helpful to raise their kids and play as baby sitters

In the end, whats life without family and loved ones

This can be a sensitive topic for many

sunshinemrc

Dec 16, 2013
I know that everyone's situation is different. And I am not against parent sponsorship, I believe if they have no support system (other family, friends) in their country of origin than it is clearly the best decision to have them with the family they have here in Canada.

Just because we won't sponsor parents to Canada does not mean that we don't appreciate for what they have done for us.

I am just being honest, and wanted honest opinions, everyone has their right to an opinion and to make decisions for their family that suit them best.

As an example, if I sponsor parents here, will I really be taking care of them? Will I leave my career to stay home and take care of elderly parents? What if they need 24/7 medical assistance as in a RN, this is not cheap, it is not free.

A friend of mine, an unmarried, professional, mid 40s, held a good position in a national company, had to leave work to take care of her mom because she could not find anyone competent or anyone who she could trust to take care of her mom who needed 24/7 assistance, money was not an issue, she paid plenty to several agencies who sent incompetent caretakers. So she left her work, took care of her mom for almost 2 years to when her mom passed away. With 2 years away from her professional career, had a hard time getting decent employment, went through most of her savings, and in the end took a lesser position just to start working again.

For us, we didn't really have to make that decision, when we talked to my husbands parents about possibly sponsoring them here in the future, they said "absolutely not", especially since my husband's sisters live near them, and all other family, they instead gave us a building lot to build a house there. God willing, we will get super visa for them, so they can visit when they want, and can stay as long as they want or need. But they are really too settled in their home, their city and their country.

sunshinemrc

Dec 16, 2013
user828 said:
Well yes, its just opinions. As for me, I am only child who enjoyed every comfort in life due to parents work and sacrifice. Now they are old and need to be with a family member, thus its my duty and moral obligation to take care of them. Technically I would prefer them to live back home where they have more friends etc but circumstances don't warrant that

Not all cultures, countries have the "home" concept, frankly I find it an insult. For some, its very helpful to raise their kids and play as baby sitters

In the end, whats life without family and loved ones

This can be a sensitive topic for many
By the way, congratulations on the DM! You have waited more that needed based on your timeline.

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Thanks, - its all situation for sure and my parents would love to leave me alone with my family ( which I don't have coz I haven't started due to sponsorship wait time for them ). I can't leave them in disarray while I make good money here and all comforts of life. I tried on H&C grounds before the sponsorship too but they see things differently

Sometimes I see comments that parents come to hog the system, while its true old parents will at some point visit the hospital but the tone and implication is very harsh. To that, I say why should I pay for Mrs. XYZ who keep producing babies every year to enjoy maternity leave and govt help/cash for every kid - yes lotta folks do that

sunshinemrc

Dec 16, 2013
user828 said:
Thanks, - its all situation for sure and my parents would love to leave me alone with my family ( which I don't have coz I haven't started due to sponsorship wait time for them ). I can't leave them in disarray while I make good money here and all comforts of life. I tried on H&C grounds before the sponsorship too but they see things differently

Sometimes I see comments that parents come to hog the system, while its true old parents will at some point visit the hospital but the tone and implication is very harsh. To that, I say why should I pay for Mrs. XYZ who keep producing babies every year to enjoy maternity leave and govt help/cash for every kid - yes lotta folks do that
Everyone visits the hospital, regardless of age. I have heard those harsh opinions, I don't share them, as there are plenty 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation Canadians who hog the system and drain the system. I've known of cases where 3 generations of families sit on welfare, collect social assistance in every form available.

I am glad that your process finished successfully, your patience and perseverance prevailed.

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
I work in healthcare and I see what goes on, and the implication that parents hog the system is so wrong. It's the freebies, welfare jerks ( who are fit and healthy to work) hog the system, their only advantage is that they are born here and their destiny allow them to live like that while others ( mostly immigrants who won't imagine or shy away from doing that ) so frankly the local "smoke" crowd is benefiting and this cycle goes on
Most of us are hard working people, we won't need freebies, charge us for parents medical if you have to but don't paint them as hogging the system, there are plenty out there who already do that

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
I agree that there is always some specific group of people that will hog the health care, especially ERs. You say that the junkies and welfare are hogging the system. That may be true. But there is huge difference between the young and healthy clogging up ER's to elderly using the health care. The young and healthy who abuse the system will only take up valuable doctor's time when the doctors are needed the most with the very sick. These kind of people are in the minority.

The elderlies are more likely to be needed expensive health care such as CAT scans, X-rays, more expensive diagnostics means. I am not saying every elderly will need the health care just saying that when they do need it, expect expensive medical bills on taxpayers' bill and there are a lot more elderly and baby boomers out there than there are healthy welfare people hogging the hospital ER's, walk-in clinics.

That said, bringing sponsored parents over to Canada, can and does increase the cost of medical health care in Canada as they have not contributed their lives in paying into the health system in Canada all their lives and thus get health care at taxpayer's expenses. The likelihood of parents/grandparents gaining employment is very very small thus still cost taxpayers. If they are to gain employment, all the best, they are at least contributing to Canada health care. But we all know that the vast majority of the sponsored parents/grandparents will not be able to find work, due to language barrier, and no canada work experience. They are basically free babysitters.

The supervisa program really ticked off a lot of those that want their parents to be on Canada Health care and don't want to pay for their medical insurance / medical bills.

Those that are genuinely really want their parents / grandparents to be with them, they would have no objection to applying for supervisa for their behalf. Take responsibility in looking after them without incurring any taxpayer's cost to their parents / grandparents medical cost.

Even my wife admits that she only want to bring her parents over to Canada just so they can get "free health care". If my wife thinks like this, I am sure the vast majority of those that want to bring their parents/grandparents thinks the same way.

Screech339

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
It seems that a lot of people seems to forget that medical cost in Canada is very expensive. They all seems to think that medical cost is very cheap and affordable thus taxpayers are able to afford it all.

A large portion of our income tax goes towards medical care. If our medical care is cheap and affordable, our tax contributions should much much lower with the large population we have in Canada. With our tax contributions being high, goes to show that Canada Health Care doesn't come cheap at all.

As the population of employment shrink while the baby boomer / elderly population increases, the cost to taxpayers toward health care will increase to compensate.

Screech339

sunshinemrc

Dec 16, 2013
The system we have is at it is, and it is not equal. I don't think the health care cost will be a huge issue as the government makes it out to be. The truth of it is that for many years elderly parents have been sponsored to Canada. One other thing to remember is that many parents come from countries where before even going to the doctor they will try every possible home remedy at home. Additionally, the most expensive treatment is for cancer, and based on national and international data cancer rates in the countries such as China, India, Phillipines are much lower than in the western world.

Additionally elderly or not, all that immigrate to Canada contribute to the economy, one doesn't have to work to contribute. A lot of children will be providing for their parents (increase in shelter costs, utilities, food, clothing), meaning more funds will be spent by the children who have their parents here, more provincial taxes and GST collected by the government.

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Canada allows parents so they must have foreseen the cost factor, we play by the rules. What each individual does or thinks is mere speculation ( for eg., wife admits she got parents for free health care don't jive with my needs but thats her call and she did it within the rules )
If Canada says tomorrow, please pay a premium for your parents I will gladly do so. Also, in all probability, the free health does come at a price of wait time so those who can afford it, might as well send em back home for faster, instant, top class bed side mannered treatment

sidhu10

Star Member
Oct 16, 2013
Punjab
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-05-2008
Med's Request
26-11-2012, 26-01-2014
Med's Done....
22-12-2012, remeds-01-02-2014
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
26-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
in-process(06-12-2013),,DM(24-03-2014)
LANDED..........
hoping to be sooooon...
well..my opinion..goes with user828..
its our moral duty to help our parents..In the Old Age..parents dnt need friend or relatives as much as they need der own children..
They want to play with der grand children..we can argue that healthcare system is expensive in canda..but nothing is costlier if one wants to see his/her parents happy..
But then..yes..they have spent most of der life in home country..then at this stage coming to another country is really tough for them..
but if they have PR of canada then they will have an added advantage,,they will have a choice..where to live..
Now..one coud say..they can come as tourists..but the benefits of a PR are far greater than as a tourists..
But..again..its my personal opinion,,no offense to any1..

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
I know that my opinion would not go well with those that want to bring their parents to Canada. I am merely stating what the reality of the cost to Canada Health care by the PR sponsored Parents / grandparents.

If they want to use their "moral duty" to take care of their parents/grandparents, by all means do it. I am not taking that honour away from you. I think the supervisa allow you to do your moral duty in taking care of your parents, grandparents without any incurring cost to taxpayers.

Besides if you want to be moral about it, isn't it more moral, humane to apply for supervisa for your parents to come to Canada since it is a much quicker way for them to come to Canada than have them sit in their home country waiting years and years before coming to Canada as PR. Is it better that you can look after them as tourists than to have them wait years in their home country for PR papers.

Screech339

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
If someone is eligible to sponsor, why wouldn't they do so. Speaking of morality, why only pick on parents. Lets pick on welfare junkies, people who cheat on taxes, find loopholes to cheat the govt and frankly the politicians are very honest. Cancer rate and treatment is in fact higher for Caucasians compared to majority of sponsored parents from South East Asia. Parents are using a fraction of health care for someone who is not using, that is the Canadian system has planned to give free health care to each and every individual

P.S - Supervisa is a new thing, and the way the caps are going ( 5K ), it seems that will be future. Some of us were already in process, made no sense to break it when you are in last stage so considering sentiments ( like Screen39 ), Canadian govt has played a safe hand by making tougher rules and freedom of Supervisa ( which has it own pros and cons but a VERY good option )

janpreet

Feb 21, 2013
Everyone's situation is different. In my specific case :

1. My parents are old and they need support, love and care. Yes they have friends and relatives back home but what we (me and my brother) can do for them nobody can. It's our moral duty to take care of them in their old-age.

2. My parents would rather spend time with us and their grand kids as we are close knitted family.

3. We can and will support our parents financially with all their needs while they are here in Canada. They won't be leeching the system.

4. If they need they will use Canadian Health care but my family is already paying for it via taxes.

5. We are doing everything as per rules laid out by Canadian Government.