+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parent or Grandparent Visitor visa question (Why do you need a visa?)

May 22, 2024
I'm representing my mom in applying for a visitor visa to help take care of our baby, who was born in November 2023 in Canada. My wife and I are both work permit holders. I'm unsure how to answer this question:

Why do you need a visa? (required)
  1. To be with a loved one who is critically ill or dying
  2. To provide care for a loved one who needs medical support.
  3. To attend a funeral or end-of-life ceremony
  4. To join a vessel as a marine crew member
  5. To take up a diplomatic posting in Canada
  6. To travel as an accompanying immediate family member of a diplomat arriving on a posting, and who will also be accredited in Canada
  7. To handle the affairs of a victim of Ukraine International Airlines Flight PS752
  8. To visit Canada as a tourist
  9. To visit my spouse, common-law partner, dependent child, parent, steps-parent, guardian or tutor who is a Canadian citizen, person registered under Canada's Indian Act or permanent resident of Canada
  10. To visit my spouse, common law partner, dependent child, parent, step-parent, guardian or tutor who is in Canada temporarily, such as an international student or temporary worker
  11. To visit my grandparent, grandchild, sibling, half-sibling, step-sibling or non-dependent child who is a Canadian citizen, person registered under Canada's Indian Act or permanent resident of Canada
  12. To visit other family who are not listed above or friends for less than 6 months
  13. To visit my children or grandchildren for more than 6 months (super visa)
  14. For business reasons, like a meeting, conference, event, or training
  15. For a medical procedure (scheduled) or treatment
  16. To study without a permit for less than 6 months
  17. To work without a permit
  18. Not sure
I believe the most appropriate options are 10, 11, and 12. Since I'm in my 30s, I don't qualify as a dependent child for my mom, so I'm considering either 11 or 12. However, our baby is only 9 months old and can't write an invitation letter for her grandmother. This has left me a bit confused.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this question!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm representing my mom in applying for a visitor visa to help take care of our baby, who was born in November 2023 in Canada. My wife and I are both work permit holders. I'm unsure how to answer this question:

I believe the most appropriate options are 10, 11, and 12. Since I'm in my 30s, I don't qualify as a dependent child for my mom, so I'm considering either 11 or 12. However, our baby is only 9 months old and can't write an invitation letter for her grandmother. This has left me a bit confused.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this question!
12 but take care of baby is consider work. You and your spouse would have to send the invitation to visit you (mainly).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would also be putting your child on childcare waitlists since it may be difficult for your mother to get a TRV and there are no guarantees she will be able to visit for an extended period of time. As already indicated she would be considered to be working illegally in Canada.