+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ontario OHIP eligability: Open Work Permit Employment Letter Guidelines

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, that is fantastic. I am also in the same situation but I have come across this post. So, I am worried if your case was an exception due to COVID.

https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/ohip-eligibility-rejected-remote-worker-948543/
@hbaig27 Knowing more than I did a few years ago it is actually surprising that you got OHIP while working for an employer in Quebec. You should have been denied since your employer was not in Ontario. If you had applied today you would/should have been denied.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, that is fantastic. I am also in the same situation but I have come across this post. So, I am worried if your case was an exception due to COVID.

https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/ohip-eligibility-rejected-remote-worker-948543/
I think it may have been an exception or approved by someone who made an error. It should have been denied. I have seen other cases where people have been working remotely from employers in other provinces and they have been denied OHIP.

mmmarellaaa

Nov 18, 2023
Hi @canuck78 it seems that you are well versed in this topic. I wonder if my situation would stand a chance to be eligible for OHIP.
I hold an OWP (my husband is an international student) and I am full time employed by a US based company. I work remotely in Ontario and I am taxed against my income because the company outsourced the payroll here in Canada. They can provide me with a reference letter stating all that is required but it is uncertain to me if I lose eligibility on the basis of my employer not being an Ontario employer? Thanks
Hi! Were you able to get a OHIP? Im in the exact same position as you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
I just wanted to check the qualification criteria for OHIP. I can see in their website https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card the work permit holder needs to be physically present in Ontario for 6 months to get qualified to apply for OHIP? Earlier it was at least employed for 6 months right ?
Any guidance please. I am in work permit and arrived just 2 days back.
Thanks
You need to both prove full-time employment that will last over 6 months. You’ll need a letter from your employer with all the info and job title. You also need to meet the residency requirement for OHIP to qualify for coverage which is being in Ontario 5 out of the first 6 months, 6 out of the first 12 months and make Ontario your permanent home. Residency requirements change for subsequent years but if you leave Ontario and spend 1-2 years out of Ontario (depends on the scenario) and Canada you have to start the process over again even if your card is not expired yet.

Reactions: Mr_BK_27

Mr_BK_27

Jun 4, 2024
You need to both prove full-time employment that will last over 6 months. You’ll need a letter from your employer with all the info and job title. You also need to meet the residency requirement for OHIP to qualify for coverage which is being in Ontario 5 out of the first 6 months, 6 out of the first 12 months and make Ontario your permanent home. Residency requirements change for subsequent years but if you leave Ontario and spend 1-2 years out of Ontario (depends on the scenario) and Canada you have to start the process over again even if your card is not expired yet.
Thanks @canuck78 for the info! It really helps.

saharmb

Jun 28, 2024
Hello Everyone,

I have an open work permit and I am hired by a Canadian employer in Ontario but I am allowed to work remotely. I was wondering if I go back to my country and work from there, will I still be eligible for OHIP after 6 months? or I must reside in Ontario the whole time?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I have an open work permit and I am hired by a Canadian employer in Ontario but I am allowed to work remotely. I was wondering if I go back to my country and work from there, will I still be eligible for OHIP after 6 months? or I must reside in Ontario the whole time?
No you don’t qualify for OHIP until you are prepared to meet the OHIP residency requirements. If you have already applied but don’t plan to remain in Ontario you should not use the OHIP card. Would add that your employer must also be advised if you are not planning on living in Ontario/Canada for long periods of time because it could affect how they process payroll.