+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ontario citizen trying to sponsor Husband with Iraq nationality

Oct 29, 2007
Germany
Hi,
I am married to my wonderful husband who has a passport from Iraq because the place where he was born (kuwait) would not give him citizenship. Anyways, I am wondering if his Iraqi nationality will present a big problem in coming to Canada. As most people know, the government there is unstable, and corrupted. I just read that CIC has to send the documents to the applicants home country for processing too, and I am worried that Iraq will corrupt or lose the documents, or some other thing will happen to delay the process forever.
I am really worried about what we will do because we are having a baby in March 2008, and I wanted him to be able to go to Canada with me and the baby to see my parents in Canada.
We live in Germany now, and have a Danish marriage certificate.
Please advise me about the quickest way to get a visa. I have seen the CIC website like 1000 times and contacted the embassy in Berlin but I still have no answers

hickins

Sep 12, 2009
the information that you have is really corrupted, Iraqi gov is not as bad as you think. As per your question, your husband's nationality is actually a blessing rather than a curse in this case, CIC is doing a priority processing for Iraqi nationals affected by war.

If you are a canadian and would like to sponsor your husband, then you can get his canadian visa in no longer than 4 months. I got approval for sponsorship in 1 week!! and the application is still in process.

If you are both applying for immigration, then I'm not sure if you'll be eligible or not.

Let me know if you need more info.

Halifax-Maple

Star Member
Jul 19, 2009
Lisa

You don't need to worry too much. As far as I am aware, appliactions for those residents of Iraq are processed in Damascus Syria-not in Baghdad-
If you live in Germany, then your papers will be sent and processed in the designated centre for Germany residents. Even, in case you both are applying for Canada immigration and you both live in Europe then your application will be processed in Europe. I can understand your worries, based on what we hear of horrors there on daily news. However, be aware that Iraqis are civilized and proud people...so you should understand the reaction in the above post. So, om your behalf I would say you are proud of your husband and his country but your worries are justified.

Good luck

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There's no quick way to get a visa. As a Canadian citizen, you can start your sponsorship from outside Canada but you will have to provide proof that you will be moving to Canada when he gets his PR. Get letters from relatives saying they'll be supporting you and that you can live with them while you look for housing, if possible get a letter with a job offer for your husband or college acceptance or something like that. Write something about your plans once you are in Canada etc.

If your husband is legally living in Germany, you can opt to have the file processed in Berlin or at the visa office responsible for his country of citizenship which would be Damascus. First the file goes to Mississauga where it takes 38 days to approve you as his sponsor. Then it's sent to either Berlin or Damascus according to your preference where the timeline for spouses is at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp Berlin has average 9 months and Damascus average 5 but people here have been saying that Berlin tends to be faster than the timelines they post.