+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Pakchikpak

Dec 12, 2018
Hello lovely people!
I just received my surrender certificate and am applying for my OCI next week. The application checklist mentions we need to reattach copies of our Indian passport. But this is taken from us during the surrender passport stage. Why are they asking for Indian passport copies again? What do we do if we don't have any :/

Canada_ka_bulawa

Star Member
Jul 10, 2020
Hello lovely people!
I just received my surrender certificate and am applying for my OCI next week. The application checklist mentions we need to reattach copies of our Indian passport. But this is taken from us during the surrender passport stage. Why are they asking for Indian passport copies again? What do we do if we don't have any :/

Your Indian passport on surrender is punched (two holes) and a surrender certificate stapled and returned to you. They need a copy of the same during OCI and the original punched passport

shashi_b

Jan 4, 2021
Hello lovely people!
In almost all threads I have seen so far, they return the cancelled passport with surrender certificate.

Wish2023

Star Member
Sep 20, 2023
Just say Private Service
Try and use the same size of the photo on NOC as well
Thanks for the reply.
However, I am still bit confused.
In the document list it says "Professional details of the applicant". So Do I just mention "Private service" in the OCI form or should I be getting any
letter of employment from my office? If yes, is there any specific format or details that I should be definitely mentioning in that letter like Designation, department, Start date of the job etc.?

Thanks

Pandher36

Aug 26, 2024
Thanks for the reply.
In the document list it says "Professional details of the applicant". So Do I just mention "Private service" in the OCI form or should I be getting any
letter of employment from my office? If yes, is there any specific format or details that I should be definitely mentioning in that letter like Designation, department, Start date of the job etc.?

Thanks
I mentioned Other and then added job description and address of employer.
I got Job Letter from employer which I summited with my application . It has my start date of work, what kind of job (full time /part time ), Title, and pay rate. I got approved for OCI.

Reactions: Wish2023

canuck_john

Aug 8, 2024
Your Indian passport on surrender is punched (two holes) and a surrender certificate stapled and returned to you. They need a copy of the same during OCI and the original punched passport
I went for the BLS interview in Toronto last week and after waiting for 3 hrs, finally got to the counter and was denied further processing within 5 minutes because I did not have the surrendered Indian passport ( i had the surrender certificate, I didn't even have a copy of my old indian passport either as I had moved so many times and didn't have a copy anywhere...).

I had surrendered my Indian passport in 2002 and at that time, the consulate kept my passport but gave me the certificate.

Now I have to contact the consulate here to find some resolution. This is despite the fact, i was born in India (birth certificate etc), my parents were born and are currently retired there.

Anyway, I'm waiting for some response from the consulate....

FYI...

• Wow
Reactions: adstarscream732

Wish2023

Star Member
Sep 20, 2023
I mentioned Other and then added job description and address of employer.
I got Job Letter from employer which I summited with my application . It has my start date of work, what kind of job (full time /part time ), Title, and pay rate. I got approved for OCI.
Thank you so much!

Reactions: Pandher36

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Thanks for the reply.

Thanks
For OCI application Letter from Employer is required. It can be a standard Employee Verification Letter on the company's letter head, which should have job title, starting date etc. Salary does not need to be included in this letter

jay_i_am

Feb 25, 2024
Submitted my OCI application on 18 July 2024 via walk-in appointment at BLS Calgary. It's 26 August 2024 and I don't see any movement. Is the Vancouver office always this slow compared to Toronto?

Date Of Acknowledgment24-JUL-2024
Registration Status at MissionVANCOUVER
OCI Application StatusUNDER-PROCESS

dopelemon

Star Member
Jul 29, 2020
Yes, it's taking roughly 70 days for the Vancouver office from the date of acknowledgment. Hope this helps

Submitted my OCI application on 18 July 2024 via walk-in appointment at BLS Calgary. It's 26 August 2024 and I don't see any movement. Is the Vancouver office always this slow compared to Toronto?

Date Of Acknowledgment24-JUL-2024
Registration Status at MissionVANCOUVER
OCI Application StatusUNDER-PROCESS

Kman318

Mar 8, 2023
Yes, it's taking roughly 70 days for the Vancouver office from the date of acknowledgment. Hope this helps
Do you know if being federal govt employee I can apply for e-visa? They took longer for my paper visa last time as compared to my kids who got it 1 week. OCI has no progress as it shows under process? Please advise.

shashi_b

Jan 4, 2021
For OCI application Letter from Employer is required. It can be a standard Employee Verification Letter on the company's letter head, which should have job title, starting date etc. Salary does not need to be included in this letter
I have seen OCI with unemployed as profession, so I am not sure if it should be mandatory if someone is not working for any reason.