+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Rana Singh

Feb 17, 2022
Partially worked. They only accepted Surrender since I was walkin. OCI is strictly appointments so they did not take my OCI. :(
I went in surrey bls they did not allowed me for oci application without appointment wasted more than one hour in lineup. Appointment was showing two months later . What is different oci vs other services allowed walk in
Lot of information on this thread but scattered, so just for confirming, if anyone with experience could please ratify.

1. OCI and SC can be done together (but only in Vancouver jurisdiction?)
2. While SC can be applied without appointment, Visa and OCI need appointments.
3. If you chose postal, then also you don't need appointment, and can send SC and OCI together.

Given the long wait times (2 months from today) for appointment, it appears Postal method should be the fastest (especially if done carefully avoiding back and forth due to mistakes).
You are absolutely right but courier service through bls is very expensive.

Mishti

Mar 22, 2016
Another day and no update on the BLS site for the new application that was re-submitted. @Mishti did you get any update on your file?
Hi Royce
i was able to walk in at Surrey BLS today and they were able to locate my passport sitting in a small basket. I gave them another printed application for SC and I also asked if I could apply for entry visa. They said I could. I was carrying my lapto. Filled in an application and sent both together. She said I would get my visa in 7-10 days and that I did not need SC to travel. My BLS tracker status has changed to In progress.

royce110

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Royce
i was able to walk in at Surrey BLS today and they were able to locate my passport sitting in a small basket. I gave them another printed application for SC and I also asked if I could apply for entry visa. They said I could. I was carrying my lapto. Filled in an application and sent both together. She said I would get my visa in 7-10 days and that I did not need SC to travel. My BLS tracker status has changed to In progress.
Congrats! Looks like surrey is a much better office than Brampton which is by far the worst. I dont know the situation now but until a week ago they were not entertaining walk ins. Looks like I will also have to take a day off and go there if I dont see an update soon.

Mishti

Mar 22, 2016
Congrats! Looks like surrey is a much better office than Brampton which is by far the worst. I dont know the situation now but until a week ago they were not entertaining walk ins. Looks like I will also have to take a day off and go there if I dont see an update soon.
Thanks. Here also they say no walk-ins allowed. I went towards the end of the day. They were not as busy. I think you should give it a try. Surrey opens on Saturday so I did not have to take a day off.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
@rajkamalmohanram from your signatures it seems you submitted the passport surrender & OCI applications at the same time ..is that possible ?? I read at few places in the forum that they don't accept OCI application without passport surrender certificate.
Used to be possible when I applied (late August 2021) but from the recent reports, looks like that process is done away with.

royce110

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks. Here also they say no walk-ins allowed. I went towards the end of the day. They were not as busy. I think you should give it a try. Surrey opens on Saturday so I did not have to take a day off.
Morning guys. I checked BLS tracker and there it was!

Status -
Under Process
In Transit from BLS Centre to Consulat General

Another waiting game begins!

vqwerty

Dec 18, 2018
When applying the OCI through postal, do we need to send all original documents? I mean sending original Canadian passport and all?
Or just the copy is enough?

Swappy

Star Member
Mar 16, 2018
When applying the OCI through postal, do we need to send all original documents? I mean sending original Canadian passport and all?
Or just the copy is enough?
Curious about this as well, do we need to send original Canadian passport and citizenship certificate ? It says original and copy on the checklist but just wanted to see real world experience, I really don't want to send the certificate seeing how it takes 12+ months to get another if it gets lost.

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
My SC on BLS says "Ready for Dispatch"

But my concern is related to my OCI, I just noticed that the lady had put my phone number wrong, which is printed on the OCI payment receipt. I believe that should not be a problem for the OCI issuance but it could be problem dleivery from Purolator? Should I go to the BLS center again and get it corrected? or Wait out?

My concern is if I go to BLS for this update, they could change anything can delay my OCI?
I don't think BLS has any control over the process after they submit it to the CGI. So you should be ok reporting the error to them. In fact it may be better to update now rather than wait for the OCI to be returned to them as they can update their records right away.

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
Congratulations, This is great news that Process seems fast now. I applied on 17th Feb 2022 through Postal application In toronto and my status is still shows as "Surrender certificate has been granted and is available for issuance." I am guessing you have applied in Person?
Yes. I applied in person.